Giving rewards vs disciplinary actions

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Giving rewards vs disciplinary actions

Postby csa » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:02 am

When asking your child to do household chores, which one usually works for you; giving rewards after your child finished their assign household chores or let them know the consequences if they are not doing their responsibilities?

csa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Giving rewards vs disciplinary actions

Postby Funz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:44 am

Certain things are expected of them. Like keeping their own stuff, putting their clothes in the laundry basket after bath, clearing their bowls and plates from the dining table after meals, making their own beds, washing their own school shoes, all these, no rewards when done but when not done, they get a reminder and sometimes a earful.

If they help in major chores like sweeping or mopping, usually they get a big hug from me and sometimes since chores are completed earlier, we get to go for ice cream or play their favourite games.

I do not set out telling them if they do this they get that. It is usually a situation of I need you to help me sweep/mop/water the plant. No mention of any rewards.

My kids are still young and we have a helper at home. Such chores are a novelty for them so they don't mind pitching in at all when needed.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Giving rewards vs disciplinary actions

Postby csa » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:16 pm

Funz wrote:Certain things are expected of them. Like keeping their own stuff, putting their clothes in the laundry basket after bath, clearing their bowls and plates from the dining table after meals, making their own beds, washing their own school shoes, all these, no rewards when done but when not done, they get a reminder and sometimes a earful.

If they help in major chores like sweeping or mopping, usually they get a big hug from me and sometimes since chores are completed earlier, we get to go for ice cream or play their favourite games.

I do not set out telling them if they do this they get that. It is usually a situation of I need you to help me sweep/mop/water the plant. No mention of any rewards.

My kids are still young and we have a helper at home. Such chores are a novelty for them so they don't mind pitching in at all when needed.

Thanks for the input and you have pointed out if they do voluntarily assist you on some chores, they'll get rewarded. Anyway one of the reason is to teach the kids in our house not to be dependent on maids as early as possible.

csa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Working With Your Child