How to motivate young teen to study?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to motivate young teen to study?

Postby savoury sweet » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi,

My gal both hubby and I are at a lost in motivating our kids to study and do reasonably well (not to ACE ) in school as we are aware that it is very stressful and taxing trying to juggle between school works and cca (especially my eldest in Sec 3 ).

My eldest failed chem and Chinese :yikes: :faint: , the rest of the subjects ..... passed marginally. How to motivate her?? :slapshead: She stays back for CCA minimum 4 days per week , Sat full day 830 till 7pm! By the time she reaches home, she is dog-tired and always moody. Based on her CA 1 results we decided to allow her to attend only Sat full day CCA after the SYF. Told her that getting the extra 2 marks to minus from her O level ..... does not even get her to JC or Poly ! :rant: So no point in attending the CCA How to motivate her to study? :?: :frustrated:

My youngest is P5 and quite slipshod when comes to doing homework.......or rather she hates homework ! :slapshead: Haiz..... I am afraid she would be influenced by her sister. :scared: This year , though she has no CA , but her worksheets from school - all covered with red comments from teachers citing "careless", "Be focus", etc .... Really at a lost !

savoury sweet
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: How to motivate young teen to study?

Postby Mdm Koh » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:39 pm

I guess the preparation for SYF always requires a lot of practice. What you can do is help your DD to better organise her time. Spending 30 minutes to 45 minutes revising with her daily helps. Studies have shown that after 24 hours, if no revision is done, the content learnt in school will be forgotten. Thus, even though she's busy, daily revision is a must.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby savoury sweet » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Mdm Koh wrote:I guess the preparation for SYF always requires a lot of practice. What you can do is help your DD to better organise her time. Spending 30 minutes to 45 minutes revising with her daily helps. Studies have shown that after 24 hours, if no revision is done, the content learnt in school will be forgotten. Thus, even though she's busy, daily revision is a must.

Hi Mdm Koh,

Been telling her that since Sec 1 but she could be sitting there flipping her books as though she is revising (if there is no HW from school) but I could see that she is not concentrating.... haiz..... Subtle naggings and reminders at her but to no avail.. I do not want to be the "Nagging MOM" that would caused a strain on our mother-daughter relationship. And yet I cannot tolerate her 'Bo-chap" attitude
:slapshead:

savoury sweet
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby gladyschan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Must let her find joy in whatever she's studying... especially since she sounds very stressed already. Maybe can hire a tutor that knows how to inject fun into her learning. Discuss with her teachers how to cut down on her CCA commitments? Once she sees how working hard translates into higher scores, she'll be motivated to work harder. Hopefully the friends she mix with are driven to study, too.

gladyschan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby savoury sweet » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:53 am

gladyschan wrote:Must let her find joy in whatever she's studying... especially since she sounds very stressed already. Maybe can hire a tutor that knows how to inject fun into her learning. Discuss with her teachers how to cut down on her CCA commitments? Once she sees how working hard translates into higher scores, she'll be motivated to work harder. Hopefully the friends she mix with are driven to study, too.

Hi Gladyschan,

Thanks for your post.My biggest fear is that....her group of friends are not that driven to study type of students. But they are good kids though.Hopefully she would be better once her SYF over in early April.We are thinking of hiring tutors too but it is impossible for all subjects. Meanwhile,my husband is coaching her in E, Add Maths and Chem ; I will be coaching her in Bio :slapshead: We outsource Eng to tuition centre. Hoping for improvement in her class tests, as "better than before scores" would lead to "self motivation" :pray:

savoury sweet
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby beanbear » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:05 am

Motivation is tied to the achievement of goals that a person is committed to. When a child is failing, the goals need to be around making progress before setting performance-oriented type of goals.

I've got children who have failed and I spent a fair bit of time diagnosing what are the factors for this. I ask myself a few questions:

Is this a knowledge or ability issue? Does being taught at school mean the child has learnt? If my child has been taught but he still can't get it, why? Is it poor teaching? Is it lack of practice because it's really a skills-type of subject rather than a knowledge type subject?

If my child knows his stuff, but cannot do well because of skills-practice, then why is that the case? Is it a time issue? My belief is time is a resource and it's when we don't PLAN how to we want to use this resource, that leads to results we don't want. So, if I don't PLAN using time to do skills-practice, then there's a problem with not creating a structure ie a schedule to do what's important.

Why do we not prioritise what's important? Is it because we don't really think about it? Or is it we aren't motivated? Ah if we aren't motivated, why is it so? Subject is boring, I've no interest in this? Or is it I'm really very tired....

Where then is the current priority? - Wherever we are spending the most time & energy on is where the priority. Shifting of priorities requires some reflection about what's really important to me and asking myself what's the trade-off if I choose one priority over another.

I believe teens can't be told what to do. When they become teens, parents may need to adopt a more coaching approach ie more reflective/inquiring approach with their teens in order to get them to think and consider the consequences for their choices. These are life skills - thinking about choices, taking ownership for their choices.

beanbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby spwriting » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:03 am

Is she very committed to her SYF practice? Have you tried a time table at home? Do you happen to also know how her orchestra friends are doing academically? They could be an influence too especially if you know they are good at their studies too? Or if you know them, maybe let them study together too?

savoury sweet wrote:Hi,

My gal both hubby and I are at a lost in motivating our kids to study and do reasonably well (not to ACE ) in school as we are aware that it is very stressful and taxing trying to juggle between school works and cca (especially my eldest in Sec 3 ).

My eldest failed chem and Chinese :yikes: :faint: , the rest of the subjects ..... passed marginally. How to motivate her?? :slapshead: She stays back for CCA minimum 4 days per week , Sat full day 830 till 7pm! By the time she reaches home, she is dog-tired and always moody. Based on her CA 1 results we decided to allow her to attend only Sat full day CCA after the SYF. Told her that getting the extra 2 marks to minus from her O level ..... does not even get her to JC or Poly ! :rant: So no point in attending the CCA How to motivate her to study? :?: :frustrated:

My youngest is P5 and quite slipshod when comes to doing homework.......or rather she hates homework ! :slapshead: Haiz..... I am afraid she would be influenced by her sister. :scared: This year , though she has no CA , but her worksheets from school - all covered with red comments from teachers citing "careless", "Be focus", etc .... Really at a lost !

spwriting
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby gladyschan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20 am

I also think that asking her teachers to coach her will be a good idea. After all, teachers are already paid for in the education fees while tutors are additional fees. :/

gladyschan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child