What to do when kids don't complete homework on time?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

What to do when kids don't complete homework on time?

Postby Flowermama11 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:31 pm

My 10 yr old DD has a bad habit of forgetting or just don't do her homework. Either she doesn't write down e hw to do ( which means I have no way of checking whether there's hw for that day unless I call e other mummies) or she doesn't br e work home or even saying there's no hw when it's recorded clearly in her note book. Teachers can chase n chase n she can be oblivious to their constant nagging. :stompfeet:

I've talk to her, scolded her and took away her fav activities but all didnt help.

Any mummies or daddies here can give me advice on what to do?

Flowermama11
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: What to do when kids don't complete homework on time?

Postby cherrygal » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:41 pm

A bit too old to cane? How are her results so far?

What does she do at home since she says there's no homework? On the computer or watching TV?

If it were me, I will tell your DD that she still has to do assessment books on days with no homework. Show her that lying or "forgetting" about homework doesn't mean she can laze around or get glued to the computer etc.

An alternative would be to send her to a student care centre coz the fierce teachers there can help to force her to do the homework. I've seen how fierce they can be at my son's student care so it's quite effective. And your mother-daughter relationship will not be affected from the constant nagging.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:52 pm

Has it been like that since p1? Or is it some recent event that triggers it?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Flowermama11 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:28 am

Hi cherry gal jedamum,

I've never caned my DD before so quite hesitant to start doing so (although I really am v tempted to do so) and I start to question whether I did e right thing by refraining from physical punishment.

She has been like that since p1 but the situation got more worrying when she started gep this year. In lower pri, i can still make her finish whatever unfinished hw I discover after I come home fr work. But this year, it's getting extremely tough to do that given e increase in work load.

She glues herself to e tv or just laze around when she is home. My helper can't get her to do hw at all.

The thing is I'm certain that she has enrichment work to do even if there's no sch work. I can call home to remind her about e work n when I come home, it's still not done!!! Can really drive me nuts!!

I'm exploring e option of putting her in a student care so that there will be someone to watch over her. But on e other hand, if she continues her current habit of not bringing hw home or not jotting down what she is supposed to do for that day, she may still be back to sq one in a student care centre.

Flowermama11
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jnemummy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:41 am

Hi, try to sit with her to do the hw for few months so she get into her routine. No tv till hw done, ensure ur helper stick to the rule when u are not at home. Try to make friends with mummy from her class to exchange hw info.

jnemummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:51 am

U mentioned she is in gep. Is she detesting hw because she finds it too simple n redundant? Maybe she is finding her way to cope with change of environment n workload by simply ignoring those she finds easy? Is it affecting her performance? Does she has a role model? Very smart kids sometimes need a role model to look up to. Jmho

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Flowermama11 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:33 am

The thing is she "casually" forgets all hw, be it simple or tough so I really pull hair. Role model? Nope. She doesn't have. I've locked e tv so that no one can watch it while I'm out at work n to make it easier for my helper to enforce rules at home. But guess what, she can sit at e table for hours n not even finish 1qn! So when I called home to monitor, my helper will tell me that she is hard at work!!!

Ive tried to sit with her till she finish her work but I can only do so fr 830 or so onwards after I come back fr work n that would leave me w only an hr before she goes to bed n it's not sufficient to finish e hw, not counting spelling etc. Also tried e method of planning tog w her e work to do for nx day, get her to write down in a note book n ask her to tick when she has finish one item. Still didn't work. Tried to plan a time table tog w her to get her to u/d time planning etc but also failed terribly!!!

Flowermama11
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ksme » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:20 am

Is she enjoying GEP? If not, this could be her way of quiet protest for being in the program. Have a talk with her to find out how she feels about the program. Did she transfer to a new school for GEP? A new environment could be the issue too.

If she enjoys GEP then you need to tell her the consequence of her not completing her homework. GEP promotion to P5 is largely dependent on her attitude towards the work assigned. If she wants to stay in GEP, then she has to start to take ownership of her work else she could be asked to leave the program.

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Flowermama11 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:49 pm

According to DD, she finds gep interesting n enjoys e prog. I've highlighted to her that attitude is v imp in gep n she could be asked to leave if she doesn't do her hw. Every time I talk to her, she says she knows the seriousness n will change. But before I know it, this thing starts again. Can really puke blood.

Sometimes I wonder, is it too much to expect a ten year old child to do hw on their own without being constantly pushed or reminded?

Flowermama11
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Ichigokun » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:16 pm

If she does that at ten years old, its quite worrying because, from my own experience, the workload when I'm ten years old is still okay.

Once you hit the Middle of Primary Five, your DD will be flush with homework.

Its sometimes hard for me to also be able to complete all my homework in Primary Five. Yes, I can complete it. But it would take me about 3 hours EACH DAY.

In Primary Six, things get worse. All the kancheong and kiasu teachers throw stacks of homework at us, saying its for preparation of PSLE. Even at the start of the year you can see a pile of worksheets at the teacher's table 24/7.

In Primary Six I cannot even complete my homework sometimes. I usually end up getting scolded really bad or stay-back to complete my work.

In Primary Six, my teacher once launched into a twenty-minute long scolding for me. She started telling me how hard she works and what time she clocks out.

And I'm like, seriously, look at the class, for ALL the pieces of work, there are at least five people that have not completed their homework.

Anyway, back to the topic, Primary Four work is really still easy to complete and pass up.

Better turn back before its too late...

Ichigokun
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child