Good friends not friendly anymore

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Good friends not friendly anymore

Postby Awonder » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi, need some advice here. My girl recently told me that her good friend is not so close to her now and it seem that she had join with some other friend. I told her that she still can approach her friend instead, she did but they run away, and as she was telling me this, her eyes getting red and I can see that she feel really sad.

I did encourage her to make more other friend and just be nice to everybody as she is not the only friend she had, you are just in P2 and there are more years ahead, sure you will find a very good friend that you can share with. But for her, she only regard this friend as her only good friend. Even I had been thru this stage whereby the girls don't friend you, talking behind yr back and so on but now happen on my dd, I just don't hv much idea how is the best way to talk to her.

Btw, my dd is the very innocent type, not as mature and street smart as other girls, I believe. Really worry that all this kind of relationship will affect her emotion, confident and self-esteem.

Appreciate yr feedback, TIA.

Awonder
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Good friends not friendly anymore

Postby Funz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:49 pm

That sounds so familiar. DD too told me exactly that not too long ago. To make matters worse, she was the one who introduced her good friend to this new group of friends and now they are running away from her. She will alternately be fuming or teary eyed. My heart goes out to her but I told her such is friendship. By their actions, she will be able to tell who are true friends and who are not.

I acknowledged that she is hurt and agree that such behaviour from those friends are not good and she has every right to be angry with them. Lots of hugs and kisses. Couple of days later, I see her playing with that same group of friends. I ask her so everything ok, she say yah, now I know what they are like, I'm fine. They wanna play, and I feel like playing ok we play, if not, also ok, I can find other people to play with.

Part and parcel of growing up. We went through that and we came out ok. So will our kids.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Awonder » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:53 am

Yes, friends come and go during this stage of their life. Just went on an school outing with her class as a parent voluntee. Saw that group of friends and they stick together always, not like my girl who hop around talking to everyone of her classmate. Well, I prefer her that way, be friend to everybody and most of her classmate was nice to her too.

She seems fine now and I hope that I can be her most trusted friend at any time, and she can confide in me whenever she needed someone to talk to....

Thanks for sharing.

Awonder
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby pair » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Usually kids did this things in their friends circle,like and dislike changes time to time, no need to worry they just learn to handle this things by their own.

pair
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Awonder » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:32 pm

Ya, after reading from these post and much thought for the past weeks, I should not get too affected or involved and trust that my child would be able to handle and come out well.

Thanks, quite an awakening for me, did not realise that I am actually letting go of my child gradually, they are getting more independent.

Awonder
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby gladyschan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Funz wrote: Part and parcel of growing up. We went through that and we came out ok. So will our kids.

agreed... these will pass, as long as not too negatively affected can le. it will toughen up her experience next time. then she can deal with similar experiences next time when she grow up, which is bound to happen.

gladyschan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby carlcity » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:58 pm

friends come and go,just let her know the most important thing is she is true to this friend before,and she will be able to make new and better friends

carlcity
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Working With Your Child