All About Puberty

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

All About Puberty

Postby cluelessmom » Tue May 26, 2009 9:11 pm

I am soooooo upset..... my dd is 10 YRS old and suddenly she seems to have develop.... er..... her chest...... and spots. I am really worried that she is gonna have to deal with periods soon and this is seriously stressing me out..... in my eyes she is still my little ger and I dun wan her dealing with hairs, periods, cramps blah blah now.... :cry: Help!!!!! Anyone care to share similar experiences and how u prepare ursellf and ur child for the inevitable.... Sooooooo upset........

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: !!!!Puberty!!!!!

Postby heutistmeintag » Wed May 27, 2009 3:08 am

cluelessmom wrote:I am soooooo upset..... my dd is 10 YRS old and suddenly she seems to have develop.... er..... her chest...... and spots. I am really worried that she is gonna have to deal with periods soon and this is seriously stressing me out..... in my eyes she is still my little ger and I dun wan her dealing with hairs, periods, cramps blah blah now.... :cry: Help!!!!! Anyone care to share similar experiences and how u prepare ursellf and ur child for the inevitable.... Sooooooo upset........

:? Are you upset that this development is premature, or she cant handle this development, or you cant handle this development?

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby wanchia » Wed May 27, 2009 5:29 am

Blood and Hair are normal. Show her yours and how it is done once and let her do it herself after that. Messy at first but that is the way to learn the hard way.

Bra is not needed at young age. Good for circulation.

wanchia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: !!!!Puberty!!!!!

Postby jedamum » Wed May 27, 2009 6:41 am

cluelessmom wrote: how u prepare ursellf .

personal experience (though not so young for me at that time), please DO NOT discuss openly in front of family members especially the Dad if your girl is those shy type as she may feel uncomfortable having to deal with it physically and 'emotionally' at the same time. I remembered my dad coming to 'congratulate' me for being a young woman and I was feeling like..."mum...how can you betray me....this is so personal" :cry:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby smum » Wed May 27, 2009 9:29 am

If your girl starts to have period, you might want to consider buying those special underwear for her. It has a protective layer inside so that if it stains, the stains will not goes through. She will not need to worry about the period stain being visible on her uniform in school.

smum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby edanson » Wed May 27, 2009 10:05 am

Woh. . . is there such an undie that helps prevent staining? Where can we get them :?: Thanks

edanson
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby schellen » Wed May 27, 2009 10:31 am

It sounds like you are the one who is stressed and not your girl. I had breasts at 10, way before my classmates, so it was a bit awkward during health exam by sch health service but otherwise, I just took it in my stride. My period came when I was 11. We had a maid then so she helped me to adapt to these changes when my mom was busy with work and my younger sis. Older girls in sch were also sympathetic and helpful when they saw me cleaning stains in the sch toilet.

Make sure your girl understands that it is natural cos there have been cases of ignorant girls and mothers who weren't aware resulting in the girls thinking that they were bleeding to death. I think the sch health service would've sent nurses to sch to give the girls a talk by P5 or P6. Just don't make a big fuss about it or your girl will be so stressed and think that it is the end of the world for her.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Wed May 27, 2009 10:58 am

schellen wrote:Make sure your girl understands that it is natural cos there have been cases of ignorant girls and mothers who weren't aware resulting in the girls thinking that they were bleeding to death.

Yap, I belonged to the ill-informed group.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Wed May 27, 2009 11:08 am

winth wrote:
schellen wrote:Make sure your girl understands that it is natural cos there have been cases of ignorant girls and mothers who weren't aware resulting in the girls thinking that they were bleeding to death.

Yap, I belonged to the ill-informed group.

Aiyoh, you poor thing! :snuggles: But eventually, someone helped you, right?

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Wed May 27, 2009 11:11 am

schellen wrote:Aiyoh, you poor thing! But eventually, someone helped you, right?

Nope. I thought my breasts were going to burst, so scared to tell my mum of my 'illness'.

Only lucky thing I had period much later, so the school nurse managed to inform us about it and taught us how to use a pad.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child