Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Puberty

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Re: All About Puberty

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:32 am

Imp75 wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
Imp75 wrote:approximately how much girls will grow in height during puberty? My DD1 is quite short but my hubby and I are quite tall so I am a bit concerned. DD1 does have muscular and thunderous thighs though skinny so not sure if that hampers growth.

Actually, they grow the most in the couple of years before the onset of puberty, and it tails off once they start menstruating. It's actually a benefit if they mature later as they have more time to grow. But genetics is the main factor in body shape and how tall they will get. Even if you and your husband are tall, there may be short genes in the rest of the family?

I see I always thought puberty is when most growth is experienced.
Possibly she inherited the recessive genes in us.

Has she already reached puberty? I had some friends who were short until around sec 2 then just shot up (late developers)! I (and my daughters) all grew the most only in P4-6, so we are all pretty short.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:34 am

I see...I also shot up from Sec 1 to Sec 2.....possibly tailing off or stop growing from Sec 3 onwards...

She's 1.5 now at Sec 1....

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:44 am

Imp75 wrote:I see...I also shot up from Sec 1 to Sec 2.....possibly tailing off or stop growing from Sec 3 onwards...

She's 1.5 now at Sec 1....

From my perspective, 1.5 at Sec 1, assuming she hasn't reached puberty yet, sounds good. I am only 1.55, and my daughters are 1.57 and 1.54 - a family of shorties! (Husband is short too.)

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:00 am

thanks I am almost 1.7 and hubby almost 1.8.....in comparison she does seem a lil short

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:11 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:luckily she got it when she was at home :sweat: hope your dd not experiencing much discomfort. nice to have a twin sister, similar age and could help each other :smile:

on prep of first menses, think I should slip a piece of pad in a small pouch inside dd's school bag..

:sweat: p4 lei ?

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:15 pm

Imp75 wrote:approximately how much girls will grow in height during puberty? My DD1 is quite short but my hubby and I are quite tall so I am a bit concerned. DD1 does have muscular and thunderous thighs though skinny so not sure if that hampers growth.

my fren son is also short ,abt 1.6 at sec 3 but got mascular arms and thighs - rest of body is thin
we were suspecting all growth hormones direct to muscles growth. Both parents are consider above avg height. My ds height growth is alot, already 1.72cm , not yet 14! but no muscle growth :scratchhead:

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:52 pm

MyPillow wrote:
MrsKiasu wrote:luckily she got it when she was at home :sweat: hope your dd not experiencing much discomfort. nice to have a twin sister, similar age and could help each other :smile:

on prep of first menses, think I should slip a piece of pad in a small pouch inside dd's school bag..

:sweat: p4 lei ?

mp, i hope not so early. ff's girl is p5 only if i m correct. thought of putting into a little pouch coz dunno what it will become after awhile :sweat:

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsKiasu » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:52 pm

MyPillow wrote:

my fren son is also short ,abt 1.6 at sec 3 but got mascular arms and thighs - rest of body is thin
we were suspecting all growth hormones direct to muscles growth. Both parents are consider above avg height. My ds height growth is alot, already 1.72cm , not yet 14! but no muscle growth :scratchhead:

tall boy!

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:11 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:Imp, i hope not so early. ff's girl is p5 only if i m correct. thought of putting into a little pouch coz dunno what it will become after awhile :sweat:

No need to do it so far in advance. All schools have emergency supplies, and for the first time, she will need some guidance from a teacher if it happens in school. You might want to let her know that she can approach any female teacher if she needs to. Just hope that it happens when she's at home!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:11 pm

MyPillow wrote:

That is also my suspicion or I always jokingly tell her "hospital 掉包了“。

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Working With Your Child

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres