Left Hander- how to correct?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Left Hander- how to correct?

Postby JHJC » Tue May 26, 2009 9:32 pm

My twins boys, coming to 20 mths always use their left hand.. we spend soooo much time correcting them, finally the elder one started to response to us.. But the younger one just insist on doing everything left hand. How? any suggestion? i am running out of ideas.

JHJC
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Why do you need to correct a left-hander?

Postby concern2 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:49 pm

My question is: why would you need to correct a left-hander? This used to be an issue that my husband and I used to battle with...

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Tue May 26, 2009 10:14 pm

Indeed! Why correct them? I've noticed a lot of smart folks are lefties. Probably have to do with how they're using a different part of their brain to cope with a right-handed world we live in.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasu_pig » Tue May 26, 2009 10:18 pm

mathsparks wrote:Indeed! Why correct them? I've noticed a lot of smart folks are lefties. Probably have to do with how they're using a different part of their brain to cope with a right-handed world we live in.
Our PM is a left-hander ... :celebrate:

kiasu_pig
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby JHJC » Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 am

so how? just leave it?

JHJC
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Left Hander- how to correct?

Postby heutistmeintag » Wed May 27, 2009 3:00 am

JHJC wrote:My twins boys, coming to 20 mths always use their left hand.. we spend soooo much time correcting them, finally the elder one started to response to us.. But the younger one just insist on doing everything left hand. How? any suggestion? i am running out of ideas.

My wife and my son are left handers. So, I leave my wife to coach him handwriting, drawing etc. When it comes to racquet games, it's quite a challenge for me and my wife to coach. My son finds it hard to understand my instructions from a right handed perspective and my wife has poor racquet skills, so I told my son to imagine looking into the mirror when I was demonstrating. Sometimes, I get one of my left handed frens to guide him a little.

Are you or is your spouse a left hander? If yes, the left handed parent could coach them the left handed skills. I would believe a left hander would usually have left master eye, so I am not sure if there will be a problem coordinating left master eye with right master hand. :? For that matter, how about left master leg?

Interestingly, I have a close fren who is a left hander and whose parents forced him to learn using his right eye/hand/leg. He learnt using his right side but would secretly trained using his left too. Imagine our shock when we see him being able to write or play squash/badminton/tennis with either hands, or kicking a football with either legs. :celebrate:

So, one question for you to ponder is how far would you go correcting their nature and tendency to use their left sides?

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby wanchia » Wed May 27, 2009 5:31 am

You can tie up the left hand for a week and see what happens. Or you can do something worthwhile instead of worrying about silly things.

wanchia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby JHJC » Wed May 27, 2009 5:47 am

heutistmeintag
thanks for the feedback, you know exactly where i am coming from.
Actually i remembered i got corrected myself. I used to do everything left hand and mum was always watching me!hahaha, thus i am not too sure if i shld do that to my children. :)

wanchia,
try not to be so rude in this forum, we are all exchanging views, your comment is not appreciated.

JHJC
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Left Hander- how to correct?

Postby jedamum » Wed May 27, 2009 6:28 am

heutistmeintag wrote:Interestingly, I have a close fren who is a left hander and whose parents forced him to learn using his right eye/hand/leg. He learnt using his right side but would secretly trained using his left too. Imagine our shock when we see him being able to write or play squash/badminton/tennis with either hands, or kicking a football with either legs. :celebrate:

Is my FIL your friend? :wink:
I heard that he is born a leftie but forced to use right.
He writes and eats with his right, but when he handles tools (for home repair work; needing more force and precision), he uses his left.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hquek » Wed May 27, 2009 9:08 am

Obama is a left-hander.

My kids are prone lefties, but DH will scold them into being righties - it worked for son1.

It's funny to see son2 (3 y/o) trying to use scissors with his right hand - just looks very unnatural (in contrast, he looks to be perfectly comfortable using LH to wield scissors).

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child