How to discipline a 2+ yr old kid?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to discipline a 2+ yr old kid?

Postby kiasuchabo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:43 am

Nowadays my kid likes to hit me when she gets frustrated.. and likes to scream too.. how should i discipline her? She is only 25months and i don't know if by beating her will make her worst? I beat her on her palm and reminding her that people will feel the same when she beats people... but she seems like thinks its funny... omg... help pls..

She also screams alot.. i remind her everytime she screams and she will scream even louder... :(

thks :nailbite:

kiasuchabo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How to discipline a 2+ yr old kid?

Postby Jennifer » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Experts said young children who are unable to express their frustrations in words resort to physical outbursts or screaming.

Help her to phrase her needs verbally.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Bunbun » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:24 pm

hi kiasuchabo, I don't know about others, but I do not advocate beating a kid to drive home a point, especially when it is about teaching the kid not to hit people. It seems counter-effective. Maybe you can consider not responding when she behaves the way she does? Like you said, she's still very young, it may just be a passing phase she's going through.

Bunbun
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Bigleg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:56 pm

You can try naughty corner, let her sit or stand at a corner for 2 minutes for 2 yrs old.

Bigleg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cherrygal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Agree with Jennifer. You need to teach your kid to use words to express herself. I found it useful to help her verbalise her wants. My gal is about your gal's age and she only flies into tantrums when we don't understand what she wants.

So I tell her to wait, and start asking her to point to the thing she wants. I also help her by asking her to describe the thing she wants - where it is, what colour, how big etc. Usually this helps to defuse the situation. If it does not work, we distract with other things, a drink of juice, yoghurt, bun, walk around the estate etc.

So far, my gal only tried to hit twice - her stubborn bro for not giving a toy to her despite her asking repeatedly, and her blur dad for not understanding what she wanted. She did that as she could not accept "no" for an answer. Once I stepped in, I made her apologize and she did so quickly.

It is pointless to hit her for this as she will not understand your logic for hitting her (that hitting is painful to others). She will only cry louder.

Any other meaningful discipline can only come about after age 3. The naughty corner is a good method but takes patience. Even if you use the cane next time, it should only be used to scare, not hit. And I never like to cane girls coz I think they are too delicate.

You should now instil her respect for authority. Be straight faced when she tries to be notti. Never laugh and whack her at the same time - that confuses her. Shoot her a stern look or lower your voice to a growl and she will learn to mind her antics.

If you need more help, buy a copy of Super Nanny.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:42 pm

My gal also learnt to scream from her childcare frens so each time she does it, I tell her she's so loud and cover my ears. Then I play the whisper game with her. She doesn't scream very often as there's no fun doing it.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasuchabo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:51 pm

omg , my gal recently like to scream anywhere she feels like to... sometime for no reasons.. she screams in library, restaurant, home, in car... i ask her to stop that.. she gets angry and start throwing things or even hit me with her hands...
what should i do? help...

thks

kiasuchabo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cherrygal » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:59 pm

My DH will carry her out for a short walk if she starts doing that. She will calm down faster. Distraction is the key.

Dun worry, it is a passing phase. They are trying to see how loud they can go and also trying to assert themselves. Testing water...

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Brainkid » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Actually, I have a 2+ yr also. I will walk away and let him throw his tantrums, even if it is in the public. At the start, he can even lie flat on the floor in the department store. I will just ignore. After some time, he will get up by himself when he sees me walk away.

And I will only appear when he starts to find me. It is only then that I will ask him if he knows why I walk away and explain the wrong of his behaviour.

As for throwing things, I will not pick up for him. Let him understand the idea of once thrown, gone forever. And I will tell him I will give away his toys since he wants to throw it away. There was once I really "give it away" (by hiding it) and he knows I meant what I say. To date, he has not seen "this toy".

By the way, I realized hitting does back fire also. Now I only threaten him with the cane or hit my hand hard on the table to produce the loud bang. I try not to hit him.

Brainkid
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nkthen » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:27 pm

First, did you or any of your family members scream at each other at home? If so, your child is learning it...

cherrygal and brainkid gave very good advice on what to do too.

For me, I DO hit my kids but I have to add in an additional step: I tell my kids WHY I am going to hit them. Once they understand why, I execute the action (Whack!) :evil:

This is much more effective for me, rather than just hitting without explanation.

nkthen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child