Child Easily frustrated

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Child Easily frustrated

Postby kaitlynangelica » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:34 pm

Dear parents,

I do not know if this is the correct forum to post.

My daughter seems easily frustrated with her writing. I know her schoolteacher was a little strict with her and tried to get her to write nicely which I must add that her writing is much better now. However, when she is at home with us and she is trying to write something and she is not able to perfect it, she gets frustrated, crushes the paper and throws the pencil across the table. this is very worrying to me.

Also, she is particularly clingey to me. When I drop her off at school or any of her enrichment classes, she will whine and sometimes even cry. But when my husband, maid or Mum does so, she goes in cheerfully.

Any advice? Should I bring her to see a counsellor?

All input will be appreciated.

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mintcc » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:55 pm

this remind me of my boy.

When he is younger, he use to get fustrated when his lego structure falls down. he will then start getting upset, cry and throw the blocks around.

I just console him, tell him that it is alright that the blocks fell, don't be angry and show him how to do it properly and praise him for putting in effort. Slowly, he outgrew that phase.

I think being clingey to you shows that you daughter is more attached to you. My boy was also quite clingey to me at childcare too, but I just reassure him that I will be back in a while and cheerfully bid him goodbye. Now, he will need a hug before he let me go but in general, he is okay.

Don't think there is a serious behavior problems there...sometimes we are our kid's best counsellor...

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby kaitlynangelica » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:54 pm

Mincy,

Thanks for assurance.

Acutally the one who got me stressed is my Mum. She lives overseas for half the year so naturally not close to my daughter. But then when she comes back, she likes to give her opinion on everything.

I have been doing what you mentioned. I assure her its okay and she can take her time to practise writing. She cries much less now when I drop her off at childcare. And all the teachers at school have assured me that the minute I turn my back, she is perfectly okay. The most important thing is that she comes home looking happy. Teachers have also said that she is well-behaved and independant at school. She finishes her worksheets by herself and will ask questions when she doesn't know.

I only have one child so I can't compare. That's why had to ask.

Thanks again!

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child