Child Easily frustrated

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
Czeec80
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Child Easily frustrated

Post by Czeec80 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:56 pm

Teach the stoplight with deep breathing. You’ve probably heard a lot about the power of deep breathing lately, and for good reason. When done properly, deep breathing can calm a child’s senses and help that child work through a frustrating event without resorting to screaming.

swortionery
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by swortionery » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 am

Czeec80 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:56 pm
Teach the stoplight with deep breathing. You’ve probably heard a lot about the power of deep breathing lately, and for good reason. When done properly, deep breathing can calm a child’s senses and help that child work through a frustrating event without resorting to screaming.
Aye, breathing right is so important! I've found it to be not just helpful for the kids with ADHD, but for those without too. The caveat is that this usually has to be done with as few external distractions as possible, to avoid breaking the child's consistency as they're inhaling and exhaling. Over time, when they get used to it, it becomes easier for them to block out "noise".

Just to share an anecdote, during the December holidays in 2018, I hosted a series of miniature painting workshops for my kids. Quite a few who attended had ADHD, so I taught them to recognise and replicate the consistent flow of breathing that they would have while painting. Now, during regular classes, should the kids act up or become overly excited, I would remind them to bring their breathing back to the state that they had while painting during the workshop. It works very well.

jho48109
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by jho48109 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:02 am

Help your child realize that working on his weaknesses and improving on his strengths can help him succeed. When he’s struggling, he can draw on the strategies he’s developed to manage his weaknesses.

theraplay
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by theraplay » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:21 pm

One possibility for helping children to improve their wellbeing is letting them to attend therapeutic play session.

What is therapeutic play service?
therapeutic play service is a method of helping children with behaviour and emotional problems to help themselves. Play is the child’s natural medium of self expression - it’s essential for development. It is providing opportunity for the children to ‘play out ‘ their feelings and problems with a therapeutic objective.

Who is therapeutic play service intended for?
therapeutic play service is suitable to help children who have difficulties in emotions (e.g., express feelings), conduct (e.g., follows rules), hyperactivity (e.g., attention), and peer (e.g., relationship with others) issues.

I am a trainee therapeutic play practitioner and offering free services for kids. Anyone out there who is concerned that own kids have social,emotional and behavioural difficulties; I can send you the free screening test, then you fill up and send it back to me. I will share the results with you without obligation. It is up to decide whether you would like to try the therapeutic play service. Please pm me for more details. Thank you!

Czeec80
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Czeec80 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:47 am

swortionery wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 am
Czeec80 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:56 pm
Aye, breathing right is so important! I've found it to be not just helpful for the kids with ADHD, but for those without too. The caveat is that this usually has to be done with as few external distractions as possible, to avoid breaking the child's consistency as they're inhaling and exhaling. Over time, when they get used to it, it becomes easier for them to block out "noise".

Just to share an anecdote, during the December holidays in 2018, I hosted a series of miniature painting workshops for my kids. Quite a few who attended had ADHD, so I taught them to recognise and replicate the consistent flow of breathing that they would have while painting. Now, during regular classes, should the kids act up or become overly excited, I would remind them to bring their breathing back to the state that they had while painting during the workshop. It works very well.
I apply this with myself too! Deep breathing has helped me a lot. Whenever I'm anxious about something or stress with some things, I do deep breathing and it works for me all the time. Deep breathing is extremely important for situations like this..

Alex75
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Alex75 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:40 am

Maybe we are one of the many factors why our child tends to easily get frustrated. I admit that I have high hopes for my child, that I wanted him to excel in everything that he does. I am a stage parent to my offspring. But I have realized that I am doing things wrongfully. I am not letting my child enjoy his young age. So what I am doing, whether he is gettinga high or low score on his performance in school, I am still cheering him up and reminding him that he can do better next time.

rainbow_icecream
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by rainbow_icecream » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:51 pm

My child used to be like this and I realised she expects a lot of herself, so I backed off in correcting her too much.

As for second one, she is still like this. Also will be angry when we help her to do things she cannot do. We just leave her to do things herself. Need to give more time when preparing to go out etc. Hahaha...