Running out of Ideas for our Primary 4

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Running out of Ideas for our Primary 4

Postby Tazyspin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:22 am

My husband and I are at our wits end! Our gal has been floating thru all these years. Her foundation is not fantastic. We had sent her for some brain stimulating program recommended by her doc previously. She doesn't seem to like study, attention span is short and is always in her own world. Sometimes, it just 'kill' talking to her. My husband threatens to have her remain back in Pri 4 this year aft the final exams. He felt that her foundation is almost zero! I am against it becoz I am worried it will crash her already no confident self. We seriously do not know what to do anymore. We are not seeking for high academic achievements. After all, she has been just sailing thru her marks all these years. We just feel w/o the foundation, she is struggling and we also struggle with her :idea: Besides praying harder now, we really do not have any solution :scratchhead: and exams are coming ..again! Sigh! Looking forward to some sharing..

Tazyspin
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Running out of Ideas for our Primary 4

Postby pair » Fri May 11, 2012 5:39 pm

I would like to recommend that try to help her in studies with lot of patience.

pair
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mel2sg » Fri May 11, 2012 7:32 pm

pair wrote:I would like to recommend that try to help her in studies with lot of patience.

yeah, i use the following, hope it help:
- give her a private study place at home, with big sticky board (this one comes handy for sticking VERY IMP NEED TO REMEMBER NOTES
- set a vision. for me i told my girl to visualize what she want to achieve by the end of the year, then I gave her a big manilla card and get her to draw and colour it out. PASTE THIS ON THE TOP OF THE STICKY BOARD....why, because by everyday looking at it, without her knowing her subconcious is slowly registering this vision, and this translate to self-motivation.
- set goals. this is where you need to be realistic and discuss what could the best possible marks she can achieve. PASTE THIS UNDER VISION
- set plans. this is where you need to sit down and understand the subjects & syllabus your girl is doing. Get whatever materials you need, assessments or test papers and break it down the work to by-day. PASTE THIS UNDER GOALS. everytime she finish her day work, get her to highlight or cancel on the plan sheet, so you can monitor and track.

These are only some of my methods I hope you find useful. Teaching kids require creativity, fine-tuning & deep understanding of individual kid - for e.g like what is her best time to study (morning or night) What works for mine not necessary works for others.

My wife going to kill me if she knows I share the above :?:

mel2sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby LOLMum » Fri May 11, 2012 10:14 pm

some people just couldnt do well academically even if the parents are not pushing for great marks.

maybe you can help her see what her strengths are.......some have a talent for cooking, others at drawing etc.

a friend's sister was not doing well in studies. tuitions, more homework just made it worst. but she has a capable pair of hands. gave her junks and she turned them into lovely items. very good with the piani and drawing.

but her interest was not in arts n crafts or drawing or cooking. so after secondary school, she took up a short hand course and it was so easy for her......last i heard she was secretary to one of those big shots in a foreign companies. that was like years ago. at least her pay was not too bad.

your child is in p4, 1,5 years to psle...u might like to look at another path for her future.

but i might be wrong........she could be a late developer.......

take care.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby matrix0405 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:30 pm

She needs customised learning program. A program to progress at her pace. Sending her to group tuition wld be not be useful.

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby newuser » Fri May 11, 2012 11:37 pm

Have you try Cognitive program to do a profile?

newuser
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sushigal » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:15 am

If the root of the problem is not notice and solved by the parent like sending her for a Cognitive trainer or Pyschology. Do not expect result from your child.

I have a special child. We send her for OT every 2 weeks for treatment plus pyschology plus Cognitive training.

We helped our gal so it will be easier for her in her own future.

Hope my sharing helps.

sushigal
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Working With Your Child