Learning Styles: Myth or Science?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Learning Styles: Myth or Science?

Postby Lscj » Sun May 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Here's just a question of the wall...

Many people recognize that each person prefers different learning styles learning techniques. From what I gather from the net, there are basically 4 styles: Aural, Visual, Kinesthetic.

I was wondering is there is actually real science behind this and if its really a big deal? What do you say? Is it really useful?

Lscj
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Learning Styles: Myth or Science?

Postby zZneo » Mon May 21, 2012 1:24 am

Learning style is important but depending on the context, there are a few more important areas to take care of before spending time and resources on it.

If the context is improvement in exams (I assumed that that's the prime concern of parents who view this thread), i wouldn't worry about learning style for my child if I have not deal with these areas that I found are more important in improving a student's exam score:

CONSISTENCY in homework completion
I would rather my student spend 10 minutes a day for 5 days than to spend 50 minutes a day to complete a particular assignment.

Careful Selection of Practice Questions
Most important factor we found that help students improve in the shortest time possible. The key is to understand the scope of the school's assignments and find relevant questions within the scope. Most tutors and/or parents neglect this portion.

Efficient Feedback/Correction system
A student will need an efficient feedback system to tell him/her why he/she got a question wrong. It can be a tutor, parent or simply the answers at the back of an assessment book.

zZneo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Working With Your Child