How to deal with a child who keep repeatg the same mistake?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Postby fohope » Thu May 17, 2012 9:47 pm

I have given assessment to my dd and seems no improvement. Any suggestion? Outsource but still no improvement and I think the problem lies on her and not the teacher.For comprehension,
she did not check her sentence and for coding of a sentence, she will miss out a word or have spelling mistakes (from p2 to now). These mistakes she made will repeat again and again. I had reminded her many times and ask her to check before submitting to me. She told me she had checked but she made the same mistakes.

I don't know what to do with her.

fohope
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to deal with a child who keep repeatg the same mista

Postby beanbear » Thu May 17, 2012 10:02 pm

It's hard for child to spot their own mistakes. Even adults would find it hard to edit & check. When we look at a sentence, for those of us with normal visual tracking skills, it's easy but a young child like 7,8 or even up to 12, they sometimes cannot see what they missed.
One strategy is to ask the child to say to himself what he's reading while his finger is tracking the words. Verbalizing & finger tracking helps to slow down the reading.

For your child's list of misspelled words, keep a list of how she has mispelled it and on the next column write down the correct spelling. Get the child to review this list frequently especially when they are doing cloze passages or comprehension. English is one of the most inconsistent and complex language in the world so children gets easily confused with the exceptions and different spelling rules.

beanbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby coolit » Fri May 18, 2012 11:07 am

And make it fun for her, everytime she does not repeat the mistake, reward her. Sometimes we focus more on the mistakes then the improvement, but if we focus on what is good, children often will perform up to our expectation..we reward the good, we also feel less stressed and tend to expect the good. We focus on the mistakes, we get stressed and the stress is also passed to them.

I was super stressed with my younger one as she kept making the same grammar mistakes, the same math mistakes. Then I thought aiya give up, I will reward her instead when she does not make the mistakes and then she actually began to improve as she did not feel the pressure from me as much and she wanted to now try and get it right because of the encouragement and reward.

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby fohope » Fri May 18, 2012 11:08 am

Hi beanbear/coolit,

Good idea. Thanks for highlighting to me.
I will try to change myself too.

fohope
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kooky83 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Yes, rewarding is important and serves as a motivating factor for a child. I'm currently teaching tuition and my tutee keeps making mistakes. So I would actually encourage her to be more careful by saying if she makes lesser mistakes each time for an assignment, I would reward her with chocolates/sweets.

kooky83
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:35 pm

With lot of patience dear, lots of patience.

Not that I manage the patience part :oops:

Giving bite sized goals helps.

Just One word of caution on rewards - IMO
While material rewards give results , think it's important not to get dependent. at least it should not be be instant gratification kind.
But this is just me.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Fri May 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Agree that patience is key. There are basically two types of pple: people who forget easily, and people who remember every single thing about the past. There are pros and cons to each type.

Those who forget things easily are more ready to forgive and move on, but they keep repeating the same mistakes thereby annoying others. DS is like that so I vomit blood repeating and reminding all the time.

Those who remember things are less forgiving, may bear grudges etc, but they learn their lessons and will not repeat the mistakes.

So who do you prefer?

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Sat May 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Actually I have different thoughts (from the other parents) after reading fohope's post. Not that I disagree with all of you but my comments are quite different.

Fohope's, do you think your child know how to check her work? Sorry if I sound offending but there is a reason why I ask so, when I was in primary school, even right up to sec school, I didn't know how to check my work. I meant it - I didnt know how to check. But of course, there were people who prompted - got check or not? But I dont know how to check, literally. maybe I stupid la.

To eliminate this possibility, perhaps you can do a walk through with your child. Ask her to tell you how does she check her work. Then you see how you can improvise her technique, if need be.

For missing a word/letter, it could be her thoughts are processing faster than her writing. To prevent missing out a word in writing, what I used to do was to read out what I want to write as I pen the words. My reading don't move on to the next word until my hand has finished the previous word. When the sentence is finished, I finger each word as I read.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:11 pm

some reading to help us along.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 104309.htm

So it seems that 8-9 year olds dont learn the way we adults do - from mistakes.
This article proves what i have observed with DS. Got to make some changes in approach to DS learning.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mychildren » Mon May 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Sun_2010,

Interesting article! After reading it, my children will get more positive remarks than negative comments from me. :lol:
Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child