What to do if child keep playing with saliva?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

What to do if child keep playing with saliva?

Postby Www » Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 am

My child keeps playing with saliva until the whole bedroom is full of saliva on floor, on bed, inside toy's bucket.

How to stop?

Ever since my child learns to brush teeth, likes to spit in bedroom and turn the whole room smelly. I have tried timeout, slap hands whenever saliva is found, but nothing works.

GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: What to do if child keep playing with saliva?

Postby mel2sg » Tue May 22, 2012 5:00 pm

How old is your kid? Did you consult paediatrician?

mel2sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Www » Tue May 22, 2012 7:58 pm

mel2sg wrote:How old is your kid? Did you consult paediatrician?

My child is 3+. Only recently starting to spit and play with saliva ever since learn to brush teeth and spit out the toothpaste.

GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cherrygal » Tue May 22, 2012 9:31 pm

I assume it is deliberate and not uncontrollable drooling? Deliberate saliva spitting is a playful phase of most children. My 2yo kid did that too when she realised saliva could be played with. She learnt it from the older kids at childcare. She tried spitting on the floor but I didn't react too much to it. I only told her it's really dirty. I also told her to wipe it up with a tissue paper. I think she only did that twice and stopped.

Sometimes your kid may also want to see your huge reaction by spitting on the whole floor. Next time, try not to over react but tell your kid to clean it up.

If it's uncontrollable drooling, do see a doctor.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Www » Wed May 23, 2012 10:41 am

cherrygal wrote:I assume it is deliberate and not uncontrollable drooling? Deliberate saliva spitting is a playful phase of most children. My 2yo kid did that too when she realised saliva could be played with. She learnt it from the older kids at childcare. She tried spitting on the floor but I didn't react too much to it. I only told her it's really dirty. I also told her to wipe it up with a tissue paper. I think she only did that twice and stopped.

Sometimes your kid may also want to see your huge reaction by spitting on the whole floor. Next time, try not to over react but tell your kid to clean it up.

Ya, my child purposely does that.

Will try to "close an eye" when do this again and see what happens.

GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kooky83 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:39 am

Www wrote:
cherrygal wrote:I assume it is deliberate and not uncontrollable drooling? Deliberate saliva spitting is a playful phase of most children. My 2yo kid did that too when she realised saliva could be played with. She learnt it from the older kids at childcare. She tried spitting on the floor but I didn't react too much to it. I only told her it's really dirty. I also told her to wipe it up with a tissue paper. I think she only did that twice and stopped.

Ya, my child purposely does that.'

Will try to "close an eye" when do this again and see what happens.

I think you shld really lecture him, let him know it is not right to do it. And maybe find out why he purposely does it? to gain attention or?

kooky83
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cherrygal » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:16 pm

My 2yo tried spitting on the floor again and at her brother's face today. I spoke to her sternly and asked her where she learnt it from. She told me it was from school and from a "naughty boy". I told her since she knew it was a naughty boy, then if she copied him, she will also be a naughty girl. She doesn't want to be labelled a naughty girl so she said she will not copy that boy again. Hopefully this lecture will work.

I think this stern and serious talking-to may be more effective than a big reaction like "Eeew, stop it!" She thought it was really funny to see her brother scream.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Www » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:24 pm

I just punish my child to stand. Lecture my child that playing saliva is same as spread germs and the whole room is full of saliva smell.

I also do not fill up water bottle left in bedroom unless supervise my child to drink. If not around, the water will be spray all over the floor. :stompfeet: Will get my child to clean up the mess.

GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cherrygal » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:48 pm

Yup, the stern talking-to worked. No more saliva playing from my 2yo so far.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Idono » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Give it a break, he'll outgrow it. I believe the more you give attention to it, the more he will do it whenever he wants to rile you up.

Idono
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child