What should be taught in K1 and K2?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

What should be taught in K1 and K2?

Postby iMeme » Wed May 23, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi,

I have been reviewing the homework brought back by my K1 kid and finds that the homework looks too "simple" :roll: e.g. writing of numbers 1-10, writing of alphabets A-Z + phonics (1 alphabet each week), shapes, patterns.

I do not have much reference to what other kindergartens teach. Appreciate if anyone can advise what should be the "standard/normal" syllabus/topics that K1 & K2 should cover? :sweat:

Thanks!

iMeme
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: What should be taught in K1 and K2?

Postby Ran1977 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:21 pm

mine son at k1 brings back the same as well.

Ran1977
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Precious2.lee » Wed May 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Which kindy is that? If it's Church Kindy, the answer is an obvious "Yes" that they really are lacking behind. Materials are way too simple. Sad to say, some PCF run kindergartens have higher standard.

Precious2.lee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby iMeme » Wed May 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Precious2.lee wrote:Which kindy is that? If it's Church Kindy, the answer is an obvious "Yes" that they really are lacking behind. Materials are way too simple. Sad to say, some PCF run kindergartens have higher standard.

Yes, church kindy. I got quite worried that I have been looking out for enrichment classes that can make up these "missing" parts. And I am torn between not to overload the kid with enrichment classes and what is really necessary/needed to prepare/expose them. :frustrated:

iMeme
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Imami » Thu May 24, 2012 5:19 pm

iMeme wrote:Hi,

I have been reviewing the homework brought back by my K1 kid and finds that the homework looks too "simple" :roll: e.g. writing of numbers 1-10, writing of alphabets A-Z + phonics (1 alphabet each week), shapes, patterns.

Thanks!

My child, whose in n2, is doing the above. In addition, they have short para to reinforce vocab learnt e.g if this month's theme is about farm, there will be pages of short paras on farm animals (names of the different gender and their babies) their homes and their food.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Thu May 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Precious2.lee wrote:Which kindy is that? If it's Church Kindy, the answer is an obvious "Yes" that they really are lacking behind. Materials are way too simple. Sad to say, some PCF run kindergartens have higher standard.

Oh really?

Then would church kindy be doing more stories (Christian stories) or songs then normal kindy?

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby piglet and calf » Thu May 24, 2012 5:33 pm

My gal school at k1 r doing sight words recognition n addition within 10. They did writing of numbers n alphabets during n2. Maybe u would like to check with the school? It could be tat they r giving writing of numbers as reinforcement for homework but doing other things in class?

piglet and calf
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Precious2.lee » Thu May 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Imami wrote:

Oh really?

Then would church kindy be doing more stories (Christian stories) or songs then normal kindy?

Both my DS & DD are in a so-call 1 of the most popular church kindy. Yes, they learn a lot of values, songs, read the bible etc. However, when it comes to "real learning", it's really quite bad. I was reading the PCF thread for fun and surprised to know what PCF is teaching now. At first, I thought standard at Church Kindy should be better but perhaps it's only true 10-15 years ago. Maybe there are a few better ones around except they are not so well known and parents are not aware, causing a mad rush for parents to register at those that are really overly rated.

Precious2.lee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hokkiengirl » Fri May 25, 2012 12:24 am

I think the key thing is to figure out what students are expected to know in Pri 1 and then work backwards. I tried teaching the same stuff to my younger boy at K1 that I taught my eldest boy at the same age. Failed miserably. He wasn't ready. I started again in K2 and his brain amazingly became very receptive. Suffice to say that Boy No. 2 is now on par with Kor Kor's level of preparedness at the same age. So no need to be too worried about the K1-K2 distinction. Just be sure your child is ready to receive the necessary info at the appropriate time.

Here are some things I think would be important for P1 kids to know:

1) Basic Chinese strokes and simple words
2) hanyu pinyin; it takes a while for the kids to master this, so it is a good idea to start, say, in Nov of K2. The teachers cover EVERYTHING in one term in P1, so slower pupils may not be able to grasp it.
3) Reading of simple books; at least Level 2 of the 'I Can Read' series. This means that, yup, the child should be comfortable with phonics and blending.
4) Simple addition and subtraction, counting up to 100, mathematical concepts like bigger than / smaller than, etc. Popular has a good range of kindy maths books. Most will give your child a good grounding.
5) The rest of it is 'enrichment'; ie. reading about the weather, simple science, farms, countries, etc. It's not necessary enrichment through special classes. Just reading for knowledge and pleasure.

So that's my take on kindy education. :)

hokkiengirl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Dino mummy » Fri May 25, 2012 7:42 am

iMeme wrote:Hi,

I do not have much reference to what other kindergartens teach. Appreciate if anyone can advise what should be the "standard/normal" syllabus/topics that K1 & K2 should cover? :sweat:

Thanks!

My experience with my K2 boy kindy...
My K2 does more this year in a church Kindy. I noticed from the worksheets/homework he brought back was more difficult than years ago when his brother was with the kindy. For english, the K2s have grammar, cloze passage (w helping words) etc...for chinese, the K2s write those chinese characters with more strokes like "ant", "butterfly" etc..
Y'day during the MTP session, I asked the teacher on the more difficult worksheets, she said the school has to improve and increase the difficulty in oreder to move with times.
Kindy is not allowed to teach han yu pin yin...instructed by MOE or certain ministry.(cant recall).

Dino mummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child