my son cant stop talking in class, please help

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

my son cant stop talking in class, please help

Postby OrangeJuice » Mon May 28, 2012 9:32 am

My son loves to talk since he was a toddler, I wasnt surprised that each year his form teacher would tell me that he talks too much in class. Also, I get feedback that he gets restless easily and would fidget with stuff like stationery, disturbing his classmates sometimes. I would counsel him after feedback and he'd improve after a while....

Previously, teachers and friends tell me maybe he is like that becos he is bright and found the class teachings too boring for him. This yr, he is in the GEP and again I get the same feedback, but what has gotten bad is that his grades are now affected.

I have been trying v hard all these yrs reminding him to behave in class, explaining that such behaviour is also interrupting his teachers and his friends. He doesnt seem to realise that his behaviour is affecting others. I was also told that sometimes his choice of words can be "off" and it would appear that he is rude or arrogant (altho that is not his intention).

I have tried talking to him (soft and hard approach) before, now I am also taking stiffer steps like removing all of his privileges like computer time until I see improvement on grades and better feedback on his behaviour. I would appreciate any advice on how I can help him improve on his behaviour ?

OrangeJuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: my son cant stop talking in class, please help

Postby cherrygal » Mon May 28, 2012 3:17 pm

My son is also a talkative boy like your son. Does that mean he has hope of being in GEP? hehehee...

To be serious, the teachers all harped negatively on my boy's chattiness and distractions (touch this touch that) during the parent-teacher meeting. When I asked them about his work, all said he was very good and nothing to improve on. The maths teacher also commented he was focused only when she taught the newer and more challenging stuff. The teachers said he could have done even better if he were more focused and careful. haiz...

If the kids are doing well (results-wise), should we still be so hung up over the chatty part or let loose a little?

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepyqueen » Mon May 28, 2012 4:52 pm

OrangeJuice,

Did the teacher feedback that he is distrubing the class?

My kid class also got 2 boys really talkative and playing most time in class... but this is not affecting their output as this still came in top in the subject. But then my kid feedback that the teacher spend almost 1/2 of the lesson time trying to ask the 2 boys to keep quiet and hence their progress is slower as compared to other class. No choice in the end the teacher needs to rush through to finish the lesson each day.

Your kids knows and learnt the lesson before hand and hence unable to focus?

sleepyqueen
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby OrangeJuice » Tue May 29, 2012 11:46 am

hi cherrygal and sleepyqueen,
thanks for replying :)

cherrygal, your thots were exactly mine b4 he was admitted into GEP and was in a co-ed school. But since he has joined an all boys school for his program, his behaviour has gotten worse, maybe all boys so words and actions also got rougher. that's why I am concerned.

sleepyqueen, I think the teachers were upset because he is disturbing the class and preventing the one of his teachers from conducting her lessons properly. this teacher said he is v attentive during hands on lessons but once it is sit-down textbook time, he gets restless. He reads widely but doesnt pay attention to the way answers are expected to be presented. This is why his grade for that particular subject was very bad :(

I have spoken to him and we have taken steps to help improve his grades and I have also sat him down and tell him why his behaviour is wrong. The problem is (or my main worry) that when he goes back to school, because I am not there to remind him, he will go back to square one. If so, any mommies have any ideas how to help my talkative son ?

another trait of my son that could drive pple mad / crazy is that he wont take "no" for an answer and he will try his utmost best to get the answer that he wants....this could be very tiring and irritating !

OrangeJuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Jennifer » Wed May 30, 2012 12:22 pm

OrangeJuice wrote:He reads widely but doesnt pay attention to the way answers are expected to be presented. This is why his grade for that particular subject was very bad :(

I have spoken to him and we have taken steps to help improve his grades and I have also sat him down and tell him why his behaviour is wrong. The problem is (or my main worry) that when he goes back to school, because I am not there to remind him, he will go back to square one. If so, any mommies have any ideas how to help my talkative son ?

another trait of my son that could drive pple mad / crazy is that he wont take "no" for an answer and he will try his utmost best to get the answer that he wants....this could be very tiring and irritating !

Is your boy the only child?

Last night a friend brought her only child to my place. He and my younger boy hit it off immediately although this is the first time they met.

Maybe you could enrol your boy in some CCA, eg fencing or golf that requires the participant to focus and at the same time, cant be talking all the time and also must follow rules and regulations to slowly ease him into understanding there are something we must blindly adhere to.

Being talkative and persuasive are his natural personality. Very difficult to change. Tell his teachers to bear with it lor.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby OrangeJuice » Wed May 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Jennifer wrote:
OrangeJuice wrote:He reads widely but doesnt pay attention to the way answers are expected to be presented. This is why his grade for that particular subject was very bad :(

Is your boy the only child?

Last night a friend brought her only child to my place. He and my younger boy hit it off immediately although this is the first time they met.

Maybe you could enrol your boy in some CCA, eg fencing or golf that requires the participant to focus and at the same time, cant be talking all the time and also must follow rules and regulations to slowly ease him into understanding there are something we must blindly adhere to.

Being talkative and persuasive are his natural personality. Very difficult to change. Tell his teachers to bear with it lor.

hi, he isnt my only child. I hv an elder child, a girl who gave me no such headaches.

yes my DS is actually pretty occupied with his CCA which is with the Chinese Orchestra and he also has piano at home. He is actually v occupied but once in class, his TOO bubbly personality wld emerge to the horrors of his teachers. I think we parents are more forgiving but I cant blame the teachers for being upset as they handle a big class and has schedules / deadline to meet.

Looks like the only solution is to keep reminding him to watch his behaviour at school and wait for him to outgrow this "active' stage...sigh ...

OrangeJuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cherrygal » Wed May 30, 2012 3:45 pm

OrangeJuice wrote: another trait of my son that could drive pple mad / crazy is that he wont take "no" for an answer and he will try his utmost best to get the answer that he wants....this could be very tiring and irritating !

OMG, we seem to be sharing the same boy for a son! hahaha
DH and I seem to think we have one of the most irritating kids on earth... I tell DS we can tahan as parents but his teachers will not be so patient. He is silly for getting into their bad books... but our advice all fall on deaf ears.

OrangeJuice wrote:Looks like the only solution is to keep reminding him to watch his behaviour at school and wait for him to outgrow this "active' stage...sigh ...

That's what I have been doing too... pray every day that he will grow up!

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby OrangeJuice » Wed May 30, 2012 4:43 pm

cherrygal wrote:
OrangeJuice wrote: another trait of my son that could drive pple mad / crazy is that he wont take "no" for an answer and he will try his utmost best to get the answer that he wants....this could be very tiring and irritating !

OMG, we seem to be sharing the same boy for a son! hahaha
DH and I seem to think we have one of the most irritating kids on earth... I tell DS we can tahan as parents but his teachers will not be so patient. He is silly for getting into their bad books... but our advice all fall on deaf ears.

OrangeJuice wrote:Looks like the only solution is to keep reminding him to watch his behaviour at school and wait for him to outgrow this "active' stage...sigh ...

That's what I have been doing too... pray every day that he will grow up!

Haha Cherrygal ! other than all these incessant talking, it is really quite fun to have a conversation with boys like ours. Most teachers tell me that they like to chat with him BUT only if it is outside school curriculum hours. For me, i am getting concerned only when his grades started to fall this yr and that he has gotten rougher with his choice of words and behaviour - which I felt it is time to TOE the Line !

I believe your DS is younger than mine, so he perhaps is behaving the way boys shld be at his age :) I think as long as he isnt hurting anyone at school or disrupting lessons, he shld be fine :)

OrangeJuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby fightingmom » Wed May 30, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi OrangeJuice and cherrygal,

On the bright side, I believe both your boys will have no problem with Oral next time :wink:

:rahrah:

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby OrangeJuice » Wed May 30, 2012 5:05 pm

fightingmom wrote:Hi OrangeJuice and cherrygal,

On the bright side, I believe both your boys will have no problem with Oral next time :wink:

:rahrah:

that is very comforting and funny at the same time :lol:

OrangeJuice
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child