You are not special

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Re: You are not special

Postby Idono » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Personally, I feel its quite apt for the culture there. The folks there are often brought up to believe that they are special and went about behaving that they are special. To an extent where its unhealthy. So the speech is more like a wake-up call to the students.

Asia, this issue is not so exaggerated. Coz of the large population and small space, we're often in competition with each other for the same resource etc.... I would tend to believe that as parents, we need to reinforce in our kids that they are special in their own rights and don't have to compare with each other to determine who is "better"

Idono
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nansk » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Asia, this issue is not so exaggerated.

I disagree. I think that in all developed societies, there is a danger of the young, pampered generation having a sense of entitlement. There have been many threads on this forum and letters to the editors of local newspapers about rude/selfish teens. And this is an Asia-wide phenomenon (in all major Asian cities).

as parents, we need to reinforce in our kids that they are special in their own rights

As parents, we need to inculcate humility and a reasonable degree of selflessness in our children.

BTW I found McCullough's message somewhat vague, when it came to defining "real achievement".

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cimman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:43 pm

tuition_czar wrote:
McCullough makes a statement on parents who overdo it in a modern society focused on collecting achievements. "You've been pampered, cosseted, doted upon, helmeted, bubble wrapped ... feted and fawned over and called sweetie pie." But he adds in a video on Wellesley Channel TV YouTube page, "You see, if everyone is special, then no one is. If everyone gets a trophy, trophies become meaningless. ... We have of late, we Americans, to our detriment, come to love accolades more than genuine achievement."

that exact same sentence was said in the movie "The Incredibles". If everyone is special, then no one is special.
The character in the movie was talking about the fact that if everyone becomes a superhero, then there will be no superheroes.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby BeContented » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:33 pm

nansk wrote:I think that in all developed societies, there is a danger of the young, pampered generation having a sense of entitlement. There have been many threads on this forum and letters to the editors of local newspapers about rude/selfish teens. And this is an Asia-wide phenomenon (in all major Asian cities).

as parents, we need to reinforce in our kids that they are special in their own rights

As parents, we need to inculcate humility and a reasonable degree of selflessness in our children.

:hi5:
I will tell my kids, they are special only to us (daddy & mommy) and they will not be above others nor anymore special than someone else cos every child is special to his/her own parents.

Humility is a must and I also agree on the need to have a reasonable degree of selflessness. I have met people who told me that it's perfectly fine to teach their children to be selfish and fight for rights. They are not harming anyone...... :shock: :scared: :faint:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kooky83 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:14 pm

tuition_czar wrote:Just like the SAF declaring proudly in its recruitment poster: Every soldier a leader.

So no followers or foot soldiers I guess.

Lol yes, I always thought that poster's tagline was a bit strange. But I think what they mean in terms of "leader" is not just a commander, but a leader in their own field, like a subject matter expert. Plus they are looking for regulars (which are mostly commanders)!

kooky83
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby smurfymum » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:40 pm

I think what he said reflect the real world. Shall let the kids see the real world rather than with a tinted lenses.

smurfymum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby UncleLim » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:04 pm

Good wake up call for young adults who have been brought up with superlative praises. Excellent ! Well done ! You are the man ! You are the best ! Nothing is gonna stop you !

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tutormum » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:30 pm

You are special and precious. Learn to love yourself so that you can love others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zeb-k-X ... re=related

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

modelling agencies

Postby doritanty68 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:33 am

One English teacher had a message for this year's graduates of Wellesley High School in Wellesley, Mass.: They aren't special.

good post!!! :imcool:

https://www.sapphiresmodel.com

doritanty68
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Working With Your Child