EXTREME Danger of Internet Blogs - happened to my child

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

EXTREME Danger of Internet Blogs - happened to my child

Postby responsibleparent » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:33 pm

The extreme dangers of internet blogging websites like tumblr.

I do not usually post in any parenting forums, but I need to do this because of what happened to my 14 year old child to highlight how an innocent looking website like tumblr contains very dangerous material that can adversely affect our kids.

Mid year exams were just over. One day her mother saw cut marks on her upper thighs when she was changing. To our horror, we discovered she had been cutting herself with a razor on parts of her body. There were many light scars and several deep scars which we could see that she cut herself in the same places more than once. Her reason was because she did badly in some of her exams papers so she cut herself, and that the pain of the cuts can take the pain of the bad performance away. When the results came out she cut herself again because she failed one paper. Even though she scored a few high distinctions for her other subjects. By this time, she realised what she had done was wrong, but it was too late, there were very many deep scars all over. What we see on the surface of tumblr.com look so very harmless, but lurking just below, I found out that there are seriously sick people blogging on exactly what my child did.. cut themselves, self inflicted punishment and a truly distorted sense of life.

Lest you think I am one of those parents that drive my kid to insanity, I do not even check to see if her homework is done, what her previous grades were, or tell her that she must score so many “A”s, etc, etc.

My child has a laptop primarily for work. I have Windows family safety installed to block out offensive/restricted websites. Herein lies the danger, because of this, I was lulled into a false sense of security. While we could see the sites she visited such as tumblr.com, we could not see what blogs she visited. Windows family safety just shows the time spent on different websites, and I could see she spent a good amount of time on tumblr.

I got into tumblr and at first all I can see was very normal blogs. But the problem is when you blog on tumblr, there are others who can follow you. Your friends, family members, and others whom you do not know. There are sick people who will like you posts, and naturally, when someone likes your posts, you will be inclined to click on theirs to see what they are blogging. And once you see a sick post, there will be others that you can click on, and and then others, and it goes on and on out of curiosity. Very soon, cutting yourself as punishment or as a means of escape seemed very normal to a young mind since so many others are doing it. And Windows family safety cannot block out every single one of these.

I have posted 3 links here so that any parent who reads this post can see the depravity of people blogging out there, and the scary part is that these people can read your blogs and follow you and you click on them to read theirs.

Warning: some of these pictures are graphic!! and these are what your kids could potentially be looking at!! These were some of the sites I traced her blog to..

http://suicidal-hatred.tumblr.com/post/25360803989

http://derangedteenagers.tumblr.com/post/25540173335

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/self+harm

To the administrator: If I had broken the rules of the forum and you have to remove the links, I apologise, but if you go to the tumblr website and look for the tag self harm, you will understand what I am trying to say. And I sincerely hope that none of you as parents had to go through what my and my wife went through.

I now look very carefully at all the websites listed on Windows Family Safety report, how much times, how many visits, etc. every single little detail with a fine tooth comb. Most important of all, talk to my child much more often to understand better on what is going on in her life and help her recover.

responsibleparent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: EXTREME Danger of Internet Blogs - happened to my child

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:40 pm

thanks for the alert

hope your girl gets out of it soon
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:47 am

Thanks too for alerting us. Now that my kids are older with more freedom to use the internet, I better be more wary too.

Hope your child is getting better now.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fightingmom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:55 am

Thanks for sharing. Hope your dd is getting better now.

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby toddles » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:36 am

So sorry to hear that. With such caring and loving parents, I'm sure your kid will recover soon, not just on the physical side.

The web can be a very horrid place - we really need to keep close tabs on what our children are thinking and feeling...

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:09 am

always tell the kids -- the internet is a two-edged sword, a useful tool could also harm very badly
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pecalis » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:07 pm

thx for sharing. my eldest dd is also 14 and using laptop most of the time. we also have family safety. hope both you n your wife can reach out to her and the family bond emerge stronger.

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jeslinc » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:17 am

Thanks for sharing. Hope your daughter is feeling better now

jeslinc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Working With Your Child