S’pore scores low in preschool education

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

S’pore scores low in preschool education

Postby nkthen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:37 pm

nkthen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: S’pore scores low in preschool education

Postby usa-sing-1 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:11 am

To my knowledge, there is no standard curriculum nationwide for pre-school? My daughter attends Town4Kids in West Coast -- K1 and now K2...they seem to focus on basic preparation for P1 in terms of English, Mandarin, some Mathematics. She is even learning basic science in the context of global climate change, basic plants and animals, etc. They do group activities, individual creative activities, etc. I have been using a P1 supplementary book for English to help teach her/test her...and will also get one for Mandarin and Maths. She seems to be able to handle the material quite well...although I have no idea where she would actually rank in terms of her cohort.

usa-sing-1
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby chubby08 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:28 am

usa-sing-1 wrote:To my knowledge, there is no standard curriculum nationwide for pre-school? My daughter attends Town4Kids in West Coast -- K1 and now K2...they seem to focus on basic preparation for P1 in terms of English, Mandarin, some Mathematics. She is even learning basic science in the context of global climate change, basic plants and animals, etc. They do group activities, individual creative activities, etc. I have been using a P1 supplementary book for English to help teach her/test her...and will also get one for Mandarin and Maths. She seems to be able to handle the material quite well...although I have no idea where she would actually rank in terms of her cohort.

She is well prepare for her P1..you can relax when she goes to P1. This is good for her.. I would say her centre is better than PCF. I think gov school should do re look into their teaching material for Pre school.

chubby08
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby JJJFamily » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:16 am

It's about time the government look into PCF standards and P1.
My girl just went P1. Only second week, I got a rude shock from teacher.

Say my girl is active and many blank pages for her assessments.
Teacher say can see that she is from childcare setting. Felt insulted.
But when I see the assessment, I also shocked that the level of difficulty is too far apart from PCF teaching materials. A short passage to read and answer???
Omg!

More coaching to go

Stressed mum big time now

JJJFamily
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Just relax » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:43 am

Don't get so stressed out. I think you should start with the basic building blocks for your child which is to encourage reading as much as possible. The only 2 things a child should do when so young is to read a lot and play. The reading will allow the child to enrich her language and train her to read the books u want her to read to improve her English and Chinese. Let her watch Chinese cartoons on TV on the weekend mornings. Let her play with toys that need her to understand and build things such as Lego etc. Do not worry, it will be fine. Just keep track and if you feel she lacks in something then start slowly and in small doses!!

Just relax
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Jennifer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Just relax wrote:Don't get so stressed out. I think you should start with the basic building blocks for your child which is to encourage reading as much as possible. The only 2 things a child should do when so young is to read a lot and play. The reading will allow the child to enrich her language and train her to read the books u want her to read to improve her English and Chinese. Let her watch Chinese cartoons on TV on the weekend mornings. Let her play with toys that need her to understand and build things such as Lego etc. Do not worry, it will be fine. Just keep track and if you feel she lacks in something then start slowly and in small doses!!

I agree.

When my elder boy was in childcare, I noticed two girls who were already reading thin story books and were chosen at narrators at the graduation performance. My boy then could not sit still to read at all.

When he started P1, he was still not reading independently. I introduced the Usborne series phonetics books to him and brought him to the community library every weekends.

He is sec 4 now, doing advanced literature in NJC.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby gremlin_loh » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:48 pm

Send my 1st boy to PCF since Little Steps (playgroup), realised that he is behind in comparisan to kids his age who go to pte schools or childcare centres.

He is in K1 now but still has problems writing fluidly from 0-9, or even write his own name. My wife and I try our best in setting aside time with him daily to do 1-2 worksheets but it seems that it is still not enough. We are now enrolling him into enrichment programmes to try to give him that extra boost.

As parents we take responsibility of our children's education and agree that it is not just the responsibility of the school, but I can't help feeling disappointed with PCF pre-school standard.

The only plus point for us is that the school fees can be paid through CDA which makes it affordable for us, a single income family. Stressful man...

gremlin_loh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:50 pm

gremlin_loh wrote:Send my 1st boy to PCF since Little Steps (playgroup), realised that he is behind in comparisan to kids his age who go to pte schools or childcare centres.

He is in K1 now but still has problems writing fluidly from 0-9, or even write his own name. My wife and I try our best in setting aside time with him daily to do 1-2 worksheets but it seems that it is still not enough. We are now enrolling him into enrichment programmes to try to give him that extra boost.

As parents we take responsibility of our children's education and agree that it is not just the responsibility of the school, but I can't help feeling disappointed with PCF pre-school standard.

The only plus point for us is that the school fees can be paid through CDA which makes it affordable for us, a single income family. Stressful man...

Development in kids varies a lot in the preschool years. It still varies through Pr school all the way to adulthood. There's no need to get stressed now as there are no major exams for years yet, and he doesn't even start school for another 2 yrs. Just go slow and steady, a bit at a time, and he will get there eventually. My older girl read at 4yo and was writing sentences by 5yo, while my younger girl only read at nearly 6yo and didn't want to write at all (even just letters) until she was nearly 5yo. We didn't bother much to push her although I did warn her that she needed to be able to read by the start of P1. Yet, by the time they were in Pr school and all the way till now (sec school), it is the younger one who is the high achiever. My feeling is that it's more important to look at the big milestones than compare every year.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child