How to get my 4years old son to be more focus

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to get my 4years old son to be more focus

Postby 名星妈妈 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:30 am

My youngest sonny turning 4 this year. I have placed him in a full time child care centre.
The school will give homework like colouring and writing alphapets and numbers. We face a great challenge whenever sit him down infront of the papers. Immediately he gets restless and start fidgeting. He simply cannot finish his homework (1 chinese colouring and 1 English or Maths).

He can gave his pencil to my care-giver to ask her to finish off for him. Even matching pictures, his elder brother had to hold the ruler for him. Yesterday evening, my brother helped me. My son told me brother: "You want to do it, do it." and gave his pencil to my brother.

Any suggestions?

lll faint

名星妈妈
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: How to get my 4years old son to be more focus

Postby nansk » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:41 pm

I think his behaviour is quite appropriate for his age. What would you prefer - that he knows the work or that he shows the work? If it is the former, then just do the worksheets with him orally for now. With age, his patience and perseverance will improve.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 名星妈妈 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Tried many times, he simply not interested. Just walk away.....hard and soft appoach method,not working. I did flash cards in numbers and alphabets, he looks clueless.....

名星妈妈
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby adoreachild » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:16 pm

As he is of only 4 years old so, try to be friendly with him. If you want to make him read properly then you will also have to read with him. Draw pictures with him and also play with him. Then only he will follow your instructions :rahrah: .

adoreachild
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby nansk » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:05 am

名星妈妈 wrote:Tried many times, he simply not interested. Just walk away.....hard and soft appoach method,not working. I did flash cards in numbers and alphabets, he looks clueless.....

Imho, flash cards are not a good way to teach a child to read words. It is okay for teaching a child to remember numbers. The best way to teach a child to read is through phonics. I used the free Blend Phonics booklet. If you are flashing the letters of the alphabet, you should teach the first sound of each letter instead or (or in addition to) the name of the letter.

Take it nice and slow. Only 2-3 mins to begin with. Then slowly, over the next one-two years, increase the duration to up to 10 mins. My dd learnt to read at 4.75 years. So there is still time.

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby XXXX » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:51 am

nansk wrote:
名星妈妈 wrote:Tried many times, he simply not interested. Just walk away.....hard and soft appoach method,not working. I did flash cards in numbers and alphabets, he looks clueless.....

Imho, flash cards are not a good way to teach a child to read words. It is okay for teaching a child to remember numbers. The best way to teach a child to read is through phonics. I used the free Blend Phonics booklet. If you are flashing the letters of the alphabet, you should teach the first sound of each letter instead or (or in addition to) the name of the letter.

Take it nice and slow. Only 2-3 mins to begin with. Then slowly, over the next one-two years, increase the duration to up to 10 mins. My dd learnt to read at 4.75 years. So there is still time.

Firstly to the OP, do you know any young adult that cannot read? They all get there in the end, and I'd suggest that the age 7-10 is more important for this than 4.

My daughter, now 5, was behind on her English reading for a while, which was a little embarrassing for me as I'm British. Her kindergarten gave us the first feedback about it at the mid-year PTA. She was way behind where I'd expected her to be and we hadn't spent enough time with her (I foolishly thought she was getting enough from kindergarten).

So I spent an hour or so putting together a very simple Powerpoint slideshow for her, using her favourite colours etc. After a slow start the first few times, she now reads the whole sentences which are wrapped round the "sight" word being tested. She was uninspired by the classroom delivery (lists of words!) by her K1 teachers and is much more keen when she gets to press F5 and launch the slideshow with its pink coloured text, sound effects and sentences that I wrote which relate to her life.

XXXX
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 3Boys » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:02 am

名星妈妈 wrote:My youngest sonny turning 4 this year. I have placed him in a full time child care centre.
The school will give homework like colouring and writing alphapets and numbers. We face a great challenge whenever sit him down infront of the papers. Immediately he gets restless and start fidgeting. He simply cannot finish his homework (1 chinese colouring and 1 English or Maths).

He can gave his pencil to my care-giver to ask her to finish off for him. Even matching pictures, his elder brother had to hold the ruler for him. Yesterday evening, my brother helped me. My son told me brother: "You want to do it, do it." and gave his pencil to my brother.

Any suggestions?

lll faint

Much too young my dear! Let him be the distracted, lazy, scattered child that he will be for his age. You'll miss it when it's gone!

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ran1977 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:31 pm

My son is now 4yrs 7mths...same thing...so not focussed and distracted by everything when asked to do his homework worksheets...also gets very angry and impatient over the littlest things?
Also when asked to bathe, wear his clothes or eat, he will take forever....are all 5year old children like this???There is NO SENSE OF URGENCY in them!
Are all 5year old boys this angry and hot tempered???
How do I deal with this as I am a single FTWM and he is the only child??

Ran1977
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 3Boys » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:00 pm

My dears, what do you really expect from 4 year-olds? Focus? Sense of urgency? C'mon, give 'em a break!

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Ran1977 wrote:My son is now 4yrs 7mths...same thing...so not focussed and distracted by everything when asked to do his homework worksheets...also gets very angry and impatient over the littlest things?
Also when asked to bathe, wear his clothes or eat, he will take forever....are all 5year old children like this???There is NO SENSE OF URGENCY in them!
Are all 5year old boys this angry and hot tempered???
How do I deal with this as I am a single FTWM and he is the only child??

Could he be picking up vibes from you?

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child