Is okay say no to Ipad/Iphone?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Is okay say no to Ipad/Iphone?

Postby hendra1984 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:34 pm

What will be happened if the child like to play with gadget more than do some stuff? Example that I have my cousin that useful to play ipad/iphone rather doing some sport activity. I wouldn't like to give them any gadget, then what happen next? They will cry or angry or anything else.

hendra1984
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Is okay say no to Ipad/Iphone?

Postby Thenun7 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi! I found the article below really useful. What shocked me were the comments made by the American Academy of Pediatrics that screentime (tv or videos or ipads) slow a child's ability to learn!

I try not to let my 2 year old watch any tv and I limit her ipad watching to half an hour a day... cant be helped lah, I'm a sahm without a maid... need some time to rest too! In the beginning she would cry n ask for one more episode but after training her for a few weeks she is used to the routine now and doesnt fuss anymore... maybe will work for u too?

http://www.center4research.org/2010/05/ ... -computer/

"But according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, children under 2 should not be watching TV, videos, or DVDs at all. In fact, the Academy recommends no “screen time” for babies and toddlers. Parents should instead encourage more interactive activities such as playing and talking. The American Academy of Pediatrics first announced this in 1999, but most parents are unaware of this advice: either their pediatrician never mentioned it or parents figure time in front of a screen is harmless or even educational, provided children are watching the “right programs.”

Research shows that, for children under 3, it’s not just what’s on TV that matters but that it’s on at all. Even if the TV is simply “on” in the room where the child is playing, there are negative effects."

Thenun7
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby coccomie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:50 pm

I don't let my kids to use my iPhone or watch tv. Firstly, they will get addicted to it, secondly it is not good for their eyesight. I rather let them play with Lego and let them use their imagination to build what they want

coccomie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sleepy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:56 pm

My kids are 8 & 10 years old. And they are still not allowed to watch TV or play psp/ iphone games on a regular basis. Usually dh & I would watch TV in the room when one of them is playing piano in the hall while the other is reading in another room.

I flatly refused to buy an ipad for them. The only opportunity they get to play ipad games is when we're out shopping and they chance upon nubox shops. And they are not allowed to play with their daddy's iphone at home.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Yah, my in-laws thought my kids were deprived and even offered to buy them an ipad when she saw her other daughter-in-law whip out the ipad for her 2yo son.

DH and I immediately said no thanks... hahaha...

We dun mind TV - educational programmes - but the ipad, iphone, xbox, online games etc are a no-no to us coz they can cause addiction.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kwcllf » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:05 pm

cherrygal wrote:Yah, my in-laws thought my kids were deprived and even offered to buy them an ipad when she saw her other daughter-in-law whip out the ipad for her 2yo son.

DH and I immediately said no thanks... hahaha...

We dun mind TV - educational programmes - but the ipad, iphone, xbox, online games etc are a no-no to us coz they can cause addiction.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy tab to help my kids with homework when after school, they go to grandparents place which have no internet.

Instead, become preoccupied with playing games and his results dropped drastically. So angry, I deleted all the games, even on his handphone. I also do not leave tablet pc at home when I go to work now.

Luckily, his results picked up again.

My kids also asked for iPhone and said it is so good, blah blah blah! I just refused to listen to him and tell him that he don't need one. Told him that dad and mom also don't have and it is not a necessity. A normal phone is good enough.

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:47 pm

It's fine to 'deprive' kids of such gadgets, and it can be a good thing too. My kids are in sec school, and still have to ask my permission to use their computers (they each have their own) or watch TV. They don't play games on handphones, and we don't have Wii, xbox or whatever. The grandparents wanted to give them an iPAD and I refused. Having been trained from kindy age, my kids know our rules, and only ask to use computers etc when they have completed their work, and won't use them for too long at a time, so I rarely have to say 'no' to them. They both love to read and have other hobbies, and they realise that if they spend more time on gadgets, then they will have less time for their other interests. It was a bit of a struggle in the preschool to lower primary years, but we are happy that our strictness has paid off.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:52 pm

Hi slmkhoo

Thanks for sharing that this deprivation works. I do that to my kid and he is in lower pri now so it is definitely a struggle. Sometimes I wonder if the deprivation will be ok coz some pple think that the more you deprive, the more they may get addicted when they are older and out of our control. So I am glad your example worked.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby beanbear » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:17 pm

I believe in cultivating self-control. Gadgets in themselves are not bad. Whether the gadget is TV, computers, ipad, iphone or whatever. It's about how much time you spend on these stuff.

I prefer to teach my kids about limiting their exposure to any kinds of gadgets. One day, our kids will stop asking us for permission to do things. When that time comes, I hope the training they have received early on about setting self-limits will kick in and they know what's reasonable amount of time to spend on things that are pleasurable and to discern when they have have spent too much time on pleasurable things that take you away from things that are important.

Too much deprivation can cause a child to crave and long for it. I won't be able to stop my child's friends from giving my child the exposure. Hence I prefer that my children are exposed to gadgets under my watchful eye.

I've seen my friends kids who are overly deprived and they go overboard or try to do things secretly when they are under too strict controls. When the parents find out, they realize the child has been too suppressed.

For eg, my kids get 30mins TV each day but 45 mins of playground where they get physical activity. They only get to play ipad or phone games on weekends and that's also limited to 30mins. They only get to play Wii during the June holidays and during that time, it's also limited to 45mins per session 2-3 times a week.

All my gadgets are within easy reach, no need for lock and key but my children do not touch them even when I'm not at home. I've trained them to always ask for permission if they want to play the computer or ipad. I'm glad to say after the early years of training, my kids are aware of what the limitations are. They put on the Timer when they are watching TV or using gadgets and switch off once the timer is off. Siblings mutually monitor each other. When one kid breaks the rule, they report to me. Kids get punished and they learn their lesson.

I've shown them newspaper articles about teenage cyber addictions that's led to death and talked to them many times about the importance of self-discipline whether it's food, games or whatever. It's about moderation and choosing your limits. I talk about trust too. The more they demonstrate they are able to follow the limits, the more freedom they will be given.

beanbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jeslinc » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:14 am

Oops I feel like I'm one those bad moms who keep my dd occupied with gadgets especially when driving or at big dinner group when adults are more into the dinner conversations.

Sometimes they serve as a distraction when we mummys need free hands, but too much distraction isn't surely a good thing. Pros and cons I guess.

jeslinc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Working With Your Child