P1 DS copied and lied

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

P1 DS copied and lied

Postby mummyscopio » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:45 am

hi mommies,

my DS committed the "crime" trice within a month.. and its driving me mad!!

during the last week of the hols, i was marking one of my son's assessment books when i found a piece of crayon in between the pages of the answer key... i looked at his "prefect" answers and starting questioning.. at first he said he never looked at the answer.. after serious questioning he finally admitted... i explained to him that copying from the answer keys is not right and lying is worse..

3 days later, he did it again! i was hopping mad :mad: and gave him a slashing... i told him he had jeopardised my trust in him and i removed all the answer keys from all his books.

Yday, i was marking his math book and saw that all his sums are missing working... (it was a new book and the answer keys are still intact)...
i was extremely disappointed and mad.. and DH caned him....

Any mommied experienced the same thing?
how can we make him understand that this is unacceptable.. (although i was rather impressed that he is able to make out which unit, which exercise and which answers to copy amongst the wordy answer key)

we have explained, scolded and cane....
really not sure what to do if it ever happen again... which i bet will as he is only in P1...... :pray:

mummyscopio
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: P1 DS copied and lied

Postby mummyscopio » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:03 am

hahaha..... but the problem is.... I am an ex-teacher and now a tutor :lol: ....

seems funny if i need to spend money to engage ppl to do my job... :rotflmao:

mummyscopio
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Picolo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:10 am

By emphasizing that it's the learning journey that is impt, not whether first-time answers perfect or not?

Funny thing is, I always copied my classmates' math workings for some boring math qsns during my sec school days. But I always scored better than them and always As for math tests/exams. I think you need to find out the motivation behind the copying.

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mummyscopio » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:48 am

Actually he said he wanted to finish it faster... So he can have his free time....

The first 2 times is for EL... He is a extremely fluent in EL but his written not so... Think he just didn't know the answers so he copied..

3rd time was math... Which is a piece of cake for him

Its just that he is easily distracted... And when I am not sitting with him...he can take one whole life to finish something he can do in minutes....
He spent his allocated time dreaming so when he realized 2 hours had passed and I'm going to be done with my class... He just copy and finish his work quickly
Last edited by mummyscopio on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

mummyscopio
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:53 am

Is your son lazy or he really does not know how to do but too proud to admit? Before I stapled my ds2 answer sheet, I did a indirect check and he fell into my trap and admit he peeped at the answers. He told me he wanted to double check and did not want to get incorrect answers. I had to give him encouragement that I value ulm process and we celebrate correct answers and I don't even give crosses for his mistakes, I just didn't tick them. Thereafter, he will help me staple answer sheets to new books.
Different kids react differently as I fully trust ds1 with answer sheet since young as he understand reasoningg . Ds2 is not so matured yet very competitive, so warrant different treatment. Try to understand why your kid did what he did. Then get him to suggest solutions and or offer your solution and explain your actions and expectations.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mummyscopio » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:05 am

He is not lazy... Just too dreamy and easily distracted...

Guess I have a lot of talking to do with him...

To date he had finishing 2 EL books, 3 math books and 4 CL books... And he had never copied till recently...
I know keeping the answers away will deter it from happening... But dun really liked the 治标不治本method....

Maybe I expected too much from him... But he #1... Have to be a rule model for #2, #3....

mummyscopio
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mummyscopio » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:09 am

He is not lazy... Just too dreamy and easily distracted...

Guess I have a lot of talking to do with him...

To date he had finishing 2 EL books, 3 math books and 4 CL books... And he had never copied till recently...
I know keeping the answers away well deter it from happening... But dun really liked the 治标不治本method....

Maybe I expected to much from him... But he #1... Have to be a rule model for #2, #3....

mummyscopio
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mummyscopio » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:09 am

Actually he said he wanted to finish it faster... So he can have his free time....

The first 2 times is for EL... He is a extremely fluent in EL but his written not so... Think he just didn't know the answers so he copied..

3rd time was math... Which is a piece of cake for him

Its just that he is easily distracted... And when I am not sitting him...he can one whole life to finish something he can do in minutes....
He spent his allocated time dreaming so when he realized 2 hours had passed and I'm going to be done with my class... He just copy and finish his work quickly

mummyscopio
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby alng » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:42 am

It is a lot for a P1 to finish 2 EL, 3 Math and 4 CL books. Could he get bored or not motivated to do assessment books? Learning does not just take place by doing assessment books. Over doing might kill a child's interests to learn.

An expert in human motivation ever said that it is a waste of time to do assessment books. If a child gets all questions correct, it is a waste of time as the child learns nothing new. If a child gets 50% of the questions correct, the child will feel demotivated as he/she gets 50% of the questions wrong!

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mel2sg » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:26 pm

I suppose it is part of their growing-up phase. My daughter (now P5) did that when she was in P1 last time, and now my boy (P1) also going thru the same thing. I believe this has partly got to do with our kids joining the Mainstream, where they learn both the good & bad behaviours from each other - :evil: .

That is precisely what parenting is all about, to explain & teach them the right from wrong. You have to be patient as eventually they will get the message and grow out of it. Anyway, who says parenting is easy, right :itwasntme:

mel2sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child