What to do with an Active 2.5 yr old boy

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

What to do with an Active 2.5 yr old boy

Postby pinkitty » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:42 pm

I am not sure if I am the only one out here with the problem. My boy is really getting overly active so much so that it's a thin line between being naughty and curious/ active.

He will play with switches and tell me mummy light bright bright. When I said No, he will just run away and when I turn my back, he plays with the switches again. Or he will be climbing up and down, gates, tables, u name it...

Sometimes he will purposedly run into his 1 yr old sis and knock her down so much so that my daughter now squats down when she feels that the bro is going to run into her.

Anyone with experience on how I should discipline him? At this age, how do I get the proper rules into him.

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: What to do with an Active 2.5 yr old boy

Postby Maxine » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi pinkkitty, I think this is a norm for kids their age. They know that they can walk and run anywhere their little legs can take them and they know they can 'operate" certain things so regardless of how you shout at them or spank them they will still do it. This is the "terrible 2s" stage when all kids hitting 2 will just do anything and everything, don listen and see how far they can push us. Do not give into them though as then they realise that we are pushable and they will continue on doing it as they grow older. Continue to stay firm and keep saying No in a stern voice and let them understand that the behaviour is not acceptable.

Can understand how you feel. My baby girl is goin on 2 next month and she started her terrible 2s early! Purposely keep doing it again and again even when you remove her from the place you don want her to go or touch. So its actually normal.

Maxine
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Maxine » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:57 pm

By the way you can also look up to babycenter.com and sign up for the developmental milestones section where each week they tell you how your kid will start to behave at this age or is behaving and they explain why she is exploding/throwing tantrums and how to handle.

Maxine
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pinkitty » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:14 pm

I am now tired of repeating myself... we are even contemplating of putting him in a childcare to see if it will help... but i really like the sch he is in and he is enjoyin himself in sch ... sigh... and my 2nd terrible 2 is starting ...

On one hand the bro bullies her on the other hand they are the best partner in crime

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Ran1977 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:19 pm

Pinkitty, son't worry...my son is going to be 5 and the same:)

Ran1977
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby pinkitty » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:30 pm

I told my hubby i feel like a broken tape recorder

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cherrygal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Dun worry, it's a phase but now it's also the time to instil some discipline (not caning) via delayed gratification or time in the naughty corner. A soft smack on the palm or stern No may also do the trick. But they will definitely cry their hearts out over this action of yours coz they don't like to be called naughty. Then once they have stopped crying, it's time to hug and assure them that you still love them.

My gal will not stop crying if I yell at her to stop, but she will stop crying when I count to 3 in a stern voice. You can try this next time.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:48 pm

I never had this problem with my boys at that age - and no, they are not angels and they are not quiet! They need two things - enough outdoor play and something to fascinate them indoor.

Try taking him out twice a day, one to two hours each time. Shopping centers don't count. ;) bring the younger one along, she will enjoy the walk. Rotate the things yo bring along - ball, bubble wand, colored streamers etc. Change your route occasionally, go to different playgrounds or parks. Take the chance to show him different plants and insects, also start talking to him about safety rules outdoor (but don't expect him to follow them yet. Now it is just input.). Chase butterflies, birds, leave footprints from puddles...

When he climbs at home, remind him - tables are not for climbing, we will do this at the playground. Point out the sharp corners and safety issues, and remind him you will be going to the playground again. - but chances are, his desire for speed and exploration has already been satisfied after a long outdoor session.

Have a list of indoor activities and different activity corners - a quiet play corner, a reading corner, a place where he can sit and watch the clouds and observe the rain etc. Again, rotate activities, bring in new ones occasionally, and do them with him regularly until he has some mastery over the activity.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinkitty » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:26 am

I try to bring him out as much as I can but coz by the time i get back from work.. it's dark... and I stay in Jurong so the best place is only Jurong Central Park which is really dark... I wonder does bringing him to the indoor playground like singkids help

pinkitty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ammonite » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am

pinkitty wrote:I try to bring him out as much as I can but coz by the time i get back from work.. it's dark

It's tough for working mothers. :hugs:

If you're only back later at night, you need to have a rough idea of what he has done during the day and the schedule. E.g if he had a very long nap from 2-5pm, he will naturally be restless when you come home and full of energy. Ideally someone else would have taken him out earlier in the day to expend his energy, eg 4-6pm, after which shower, dinner, wind down gently with stories and quiet indoor activities and he will sleep VERY well by 9pm.

He should not play in the indoor playground at night because he will not sleep well after all the excitement. Maybe can just go for a walk around the neighbourhood, look at night markets. When my boys are full of energy at night, I take them for a walk on their scooters. Where we are there is a lot of greenery and it's very quiet and cool. They may use the swings for a while, but no catching or chasing allowed. After that they take a quick warm shower and if they are still restless, I may play a card game with them before reading to them in bed.

At 2 plus, some of their quiet night time activites were building with wooden blocks or train sets. I also always have one critter in the house for them to look at if they are bored - fishes, caterpillars, shrimps, ant maze, crickets. They have magnifying glasses when small, and binoculars now that they are bigger. They are very good at spotting birds, tree frogs, and insects now and can name some local species.

Remember boys are hands on, they like things that move and they like to move. Of course girls do too, but boys do/like it to a greater extent. Satisfy these natural instincts and they can be very sweet.

(Oh, but the part about running at mei mei, that is a no-no. Just stand between them and say "no" in a firm voice with direct eye contact. Then tell him, "Balls are for chasing, rolling and hitting. People are not. Is mei-mei a ball? No she is not. " Then depending on the circumstances, either take him for a walk, go and watch people play basketball, or give him something interesting to do. I think he will get it. Don't make it too big a deal or he may start to do it for attention OR resent the younger sister and hit her secretly.)

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child