Is this behaviour of teacher acceptable?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Postby gerberadaisy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:31 am

Hi parents,

I would like to seek some opinion and advice from all of you. My P1 child has short attention span and the teacher has been complaining about him since day 1. Upon the teacher's advice, we've already sought help at the child guidance branch and am awaiting the results of the diagnosis. At our end, we're already providing him with the necessary home support that he needs. However, recently, the teacher pulled his ears and threw his book on the floor. To me, this is not acceptable as there shoulld be better ways to deal with the situation. All these actions are not going to help the child, and may do more damage to his already low self esteem. We'll meet up with the teacher to find out what exactly had happend. Do you deem her behaviour as acceptable? Really appreciate some feedback and advice. Many thanks!

gerberadaisy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Is this behaviour of teacher acceptable?

Postby Imami » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:33 am

gerberadaisy wrote:Hi parents,

I would like to seek some opinion and advice from all of you. My P1 child has short attention span and the teacher has been complaining about him since day 1. Upon the teacher's advice, we've already sought help at the child guidance branch and am awaiting the results of the diagnosis. At our end, we're already providing him with the necessary home support that he needs. However, recently, the teacher pulled his ears and threw his book on the floor. To me, this is not acceptable as there shoulld be better ways to deal with the situation. All these actions are not going to help the child, and may do more damage to his already low self esteem. We'll meet up with the teacher to find out what exactly had happend. Do you deem her behaviour as acceptable? Really appreciate some feedback and advice. Many thanks!

:yikes: :sweat: :mad: :stompfeet: :rant:

Not acceptable to me!

Do update after your meeting with the teacher.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby straffan23 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:36 pm

To me, this is not acceptable.

As a parent, when I am angry, I often ask myself - am i going to beat /pinch/pull ears? Why? Is it to vent my anger? Or would it make the children better or does it teach them anything? I feel that anger teaches anger - which is why I often say motherhood has changed me. I don't want my children to be angry people.

Similarly, teachers may be often challenged. They may get angry. They should reflect on their own action - anger management and self control. And not by inflicting pain on another person. This is how fighting, domestic violence and child abuse starts, right?

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby adoreachild » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Not acceptable at all. At school children are the responsibility of teachers. Parents send their children to school believing on teachers that they will take care of their children. He can scold him or can advice him to be attentive in class but he should not behave like this. You should take some action against him. Because for parents their child safety is most important.

[Mod's note: external URL removed]
Last edited by adoreachild on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adoreachild
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby friendship » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:32 pm

It is OK with me.
First, have you access what was the class situation at that time?
Are you sure your child is not a trouble maker or creating nuisance in the class? for example: walking/running around in the class when the teacher is teaching, disturbing the classmates, given warning many times and chose to ignore.
Are you listening only one - sided story? Nowadays kids like to twist the story.
Perhaps you want to gather evidence from the classmates. Classmates will tell the truth not your child.

If knowing the child can't fit into mainstream school, why don't you choose a school that fit his learning abilities?
friendship
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cherrygal » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:00 pm

Is his teacher the old matronly type? She prob belongs to the old school of thought that pulling ears, poke head etc is acceptable. Most new teachers know they cannot touch the kid.

You have to talk to her if you don't like what she's doing. Be tactful though.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:41 pm

I wonder why physical punishment could be tolerated in the olden days but not now? Does it really hurt the child's esteem and cause irreparable damage or is it parents are more protective now?

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby weatherbee » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Not acceptable. But I will find out the details of what exactly happened. Sometimes, kids are really too naughty.

weatherbee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby J and J » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Not acceptable for any physical contact punishment like pulling ear at all time.

J and J
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Beansprout » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Not acceptable! Your child is just a kid while the teacher is an adult. The teacher should not resort to violence especially when she knows your kid has attention span problem and already seeking guidance and getting treatment. Complain to principal so that she will not do to other kids.

Beansprout
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child