3yr old cannot wake up every morning for school, help!

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

3yr old cannot wake up every morning for school, help!

Postby mummyJune » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:21 am

hi, im a FTWM -DS 3yrs old DD 16mths. Currently my son is attending fullday childcare. we always tell him to sleep at 9pm cos he has to wake up at 7.30am & get ready for school. He has been attending childcare for 1yr + but only recently(about 2weeks ago), he refused to wake up & when he wakes up, he starts to scream & cry, refused to wake up & my hubby is the one who brings him to school everyday, he gets frustrated because he has to drag my son all the way to school & along the way my son keeps screaming & crying, even reached school also cry nonstop. worst, he refused to let the teacher check his hands & temperature. There is only 1 chinese teacher he likes & no choice, have to wait for this teacher to come & calm my son down.

every morning my hubby calls & complain to me say he everyday late for work. he very frustrated. As for me, every morning ive to bring my daughter to my inlaw place so ive to leave early.

we already try to make my boy sleep early but he always toss & turn on his bed, can take him 45mins to get to sleep. example last night, he went to bed at 9.20pm, then he toss & turn in bed, so i pat him to sleep, slowly at 10pm den finally he slept.

iszit he doesnt have enough sleep thats why he cannot wake up early?

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: 3yr old cannot wake up every morning for school, help!

Postby fightingmom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:47 am

A few things I can think of:

(1) is there anything about the current child care centre that is bothering him thus resulted in his reluctance to go school ? a bully ? Fierce teacher ? Try talk to the centre and see what they feedback.

(2) late naps ?

(3) too much activities before sleep ? Usually when my dd was a toddler, I don't encourage too much activities that may cause hyper-activeness. Activities before bedtime could be a story telling or reading a book together. This habit carries on till today where my dd reads before she sleeps.

(4) a hot milk before sleep sometimes helps.

Hope it is helpful to u. :wink:

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummyJune » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:03 am

His current childcare has a change of a few teachers & principal. we ve spoke to the new principal & also a few teachers in school, they said might be due to the sudden change my son could not adapt. Also spoke to my son's teacher, she said my son is ok, just that sometimes can get abit sensitive like he dislike other kids to touch his things like waterbottle or even toys drop on the floor, my son also scream. A teacher who teaches k1 & k2 told me everyday, my son can scream loudly at least 3-4times a day.

we also asked did anyone bully him, his teacher said last time ve, so now they separate those who disturb my son, now much better. but i duno y he still refused to go to school, ask him he dun say.

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mummyJune » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:06 am

we dont on the tv when we reached home. now everyday we let him sleep earlier bit by bit, hopefully when he gets enough sleep he will want to go to school.

Yes, we give him warm milk before bed. And no hyper activities before bedtime too. At school he naps around 1pm for 1hr.

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby fightingmom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:10 am

mummyJune wrote:His current childcare has a change of a few teachers & principal. we ve spoke to the new principal & also a few teachers in school, they said might be due to the sudden change my son could not adapt. Also spoke to my son's teacher, she said my son is ok, just that sometimes can get abit sensitive like he dislike other kids to touch his things like waterbottle or even toys drop on the floor, my son also scream. A teacher who teaches k1 & k2 told me everyday, my son can scream loudly at least 3-4times a day.

we also asked did anyone bully him, his teacher said last time ve, so now they separate those who disturb my son, now much better. but i duno y he still refused to go to school, ask him he dun say.

For a 3year old, he may not be able to articulate probably. You may want to consider swapping with your hubby. That is, you bring him to school instead and your hubby sends your dd to your in-laws place ? He may feel better and go give him a lot of assurance and hugs.

My dd already 12years old so I may not be up-to-date with handling toddler's stuff... Hope others may come forward to share with you. :grphug:

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:27 pm

My kid also don't sleep early. Luckily, wake up early. Can even be earlier than our alarm clock. :lol:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fable » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:50 pm

I think its likely he's not getting enough sleep so is cranky in the morning. It helps to slowly move the bedtime forward as you are doing. Some other things that make it harder to sleep:
- sugary food close to bedtime
- tv
- too many activities close to bedtime.

I find my boy slept better when he had a good playground session before dinner to tire him out. We also had a bedtime routine that was very regular: shower, brush teeth, read book, lullabye, and a consistent bedtime.

Good luck!

fable
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mummyJune » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:56 am

hi mummies, last night i told my son to go to bed at 8.30pm. i gave him warm milk, after that he still toss & turn on the bed, until 1hr later he finally slept. This morning, my hubby said my son woke up at 7.30am when alarm clock rang. wake up never scream or cry but doesn't want to go school. But at least we managed to settle his sleeping part, now we make him go to bed at 8.30pm so that he can get enough sleep.

Thanks all mummies for yr suggestions!

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Working With Your Child