Zoophonics, flashcards.. Anyone can advice me please?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Postby xanders mummy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi all parents!!

Appreciate if any one of you can guide me on this!

I'm quite confused by all these different methods of teaching.

Zoophonics is the first step towards phonics learning right?
They are teaching toddlers to regconize alphabets & are shown to tots with animals blend in with alphabets.

How about flashcards..? Are they the same kind?

SighzZz... Can any kind-hearted soul elaborate more details to me..?

My son is turning 15 months, i just enrolled him into enrichment programes @ GUG starting 2nd week July.

GUG teaches zoophonics.

Intented to be more hardworking & pratise flashcards @ home with my DS but know very little about it, etc. how to do it..?

And also, did some research in the net, seems like flashcards are quite ex!

PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE... VERY APPRECIATE!!

xanders mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mintcc » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:17 pm

hi xanders mummy!

for flash cards, we have a thread over here:
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... .php?t=481

for zoophonics, perhaps you might want to look at:
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... zoophonics
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... zoophonics

happy reading :)

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Zoophonics, flashcards.. Anyone can advice me please?

Postby jedamum » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:33 pm

hi xanders mummy,

Zoophonics is a type of phonics training. There are a lot of phonics training system in the market. Some people uses flashcards with animals, some people only uses normal flashcards. Montessori uses sandpaper letters while some DIY mummies rely on Phonics DVDs (Leapfrog etc) to teach phonics.

Flashcard is a method of learning (some said it's right/left brain training). While some parents swear by it, some prefers a more handson teaching method. It also depends on how receptive the child is to the different method of teaching.

Veterans of such, correct me if I am wrong. :wink:

There are a lot of information under the "Language Thread". Take your time to go through. Use the search function to narrow down your search; but beware...there are a lot of information for you to sieve through. It takes a lot of time for people to type in to share their knowledge, so it is just right if we just take that time to go through them before starting a new topic.

TQ. Welcome to KSP.
8)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby xanders mummy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:43 pm

Hi jedamum & mincy,

appreciate your replies to my post!

Had actually searched for more info before posting a new thread...

Just hope kind-hearted souls like you guys can help me more specifically.. :-)

Anyway, i've read all many threads/websites on them since 8pm.. Now my whole back is aching.. :-(

Think i've decided to DIY my own flashcards..? Hopefully it works...

xanders mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jedamum » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:58 pm

xanders mummy wrote:Anyway, i've read all many threads/websites on them since 8pm.. Now my whole back is aching.. :-(

Think i've decided to DIY my own flashcards..? Hopefully it works...

:lol: It's never easy to be a kiasu parent :wink:

for flashcards, i really feel that the most suitable website to go to is SGParenting. theirs is a whole different community dedicated to the flashcard (S/G) method [CKS, can I post this? if not, please remove. thanks. :))

don't forget to come back and share a thing or two when you become a master :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:37 am

jedamum wrote:... for flashcards, i really feel that the most suitable website to go to is SGParenting. theirs is a whole different community dedicated to the flashcard (S/G) method [CKS, can I post this? if not, please remove. thanks. :))...

We have no issues with posting links or information about the content of other websites at all, as long as they are relevant and not of the objectionable flavor. It's the Internet, after all.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby dibo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am

hi xanders mummy,

for flashcard method, can your ds sit still & let u flash?
maybe u can try buying a set or 2 & flash to him, if he enjoy, than u can buy more or DIY.

for me, i started buying few sets & my ds enjoyed them, i bought flashcard all over the place, from popular to NTUC , local to oversea (thru the internet) :D i aslo DIY some...

flashcard can be any topic under the sun, u can start with picture card than go on to word card..

when u flash, u should start with your title card , than flash from back to front with a speed of one card per second..

it will be good to do it everyday once you started, u will see the effect down the road..

hope these help...happy flashing :lol:

dibo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby xanders mummy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:30 am

hello dibo,

i've awaiting loan for a few sets of flashcards from my friend to hands-on with my DS. hehehe... :D

Well well, my DS is quite active [most of the times..] so i doubt he can sit still and dedicate his time to the flashcards session. :cry:

But reading so many threads from so many mummies.. i conclude that is the norm for most toddlers! :-p Esp. the first few sessions? Same like attending classes.. so, i'm willing to give it a cry! kekeke...

Anyway, since i've the time now.. suffered some setback & decided to dedicate all my free time to my DS!

Hi jedamum,

Wow! Really hope i can be a master, someday? hahaha!!! :love:

Btw, am i kiasu..? My parents keep emphasizing that i am! but den, come again.. if i'm their age, at their times, i wouldn't do so much things.. And i'm against in sending my child for so many tuitions & activities lessons over the weekend etc.

My concern - Start young, i firmly believe that toddlers below the age of 5-6 can absorbe like sponge! ! ! :wink:

Therefore, actually my strategy was to give them expose to many learning chances now.. but i'll relax upon their enrollment in Primary School.

Maybe i'm wrong.. well, i dunno la~ But currently that's wat i'm planning..
hahaha! Or perhaps i'm really kiasu parent.. lolx.. Afterall, that's all in the future.. no one knwos how it will turn out~

All the best to all mummies! I'm enjoying my role as a mum more & more! hehe :P

xanders mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MLR » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:40 am

Hiya xanders mummy

Me, never one who quite follow trends and what others doing/going type of person. But I do keep an eye about whats going on.

As a parent you only want the best for your child in every aspects possible in life. Its when you have unrealistic expectations that will create unnecessary stress for yourself and family.

Your course is certainly in the right direction. You are concern but you are not planning to cram all activities that you think your child needs. Flashcard certainly don't work with my boy, so I try to expose him in a different way. Its not a method, but just what i do everyday, whenever. We (DH and I) talk to him about things we see along the way, on tv. We spell the things we see, describe it in shape, colours, size, quantity, sound if there is, etc. Also we encourage him to touch and describe in his own ways too.

Don't worry too much. Its as much a learning experience for us as for our boy too. Of course there are times when you wonder if you have done enough or too much, dats when you come to this forum and search for answers. At least dats what I do :lovesite:

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby dibo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:18 pm

xanders mummy,

think we are all kiasu parent if not we won't be inside this forum..heehee...

totally agreed on your comment:
"start young, i firmly believe that toddlers below the age of 5-6 can absorbe like sponge!" :salute:

well, u maybe surprised, my ds is also very active, but he can sit still & enjoyed the flashscard session.. :D

dibo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child