Proper and Effective Way To Discipline Kids

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Proper and Effective Way To Discipline Kids

Postby Radie88 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:25 pm

My son is 3 years old and attending the pre-school. I’m beginning to feel sad and worried because he tend to hurt his classmates to be able to start a play. My son is physically active he loves to play soccer ball, roam around the park, hide and seek and cuddling, but he grow up with no playmates of his age…so I’m thinking if this has impact. I’m thinking what ways I need to do in order discipline him… My little boy is sweet and eager to learn but.. I don’t want him hurting other kids…and I don’t want him to be labeled as bully later on and I'm afraid that his school might oust him due to his behavior....

Radie88
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Proper and Effective Way To Discipline Kids

Postby grace bland » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi friend..
Children require structure and predictable rules. Above all, they require attention. Back in the day, parents bothered their children when they came home from school. Some parents may not have known how to do long division. They may not have known how to write or how to construct a business letter. But they knew how to prod their children because they wanted them to be something.

Parents are required to behave the way you want your children to behave and distinguish discipline from punishment.

grace bland
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ammonite » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:09 am

Radie88 wrote:My son is 3 years old and attending the pre-school. I’m beginning to feel sad and worried because he tend to hurt his classmates to be able to start a play. My son is physically active he loves to play soccer ball, roam around the park, hide and seek and cuddling, but he grow up with no playmates of his age…so I’m thinking if this has impact. I’m thinking what ways I need to do in order discipline him… My little boy is sweet and eager to learn but.. I don’t want him hurting other kids…and I don’t want him to be labeled as bully later on and I'm afraid that his school might oust him due to his behavior....

Hi Radie,

Your son just need more guidance and consistent reinforcement. My son had a classmate just like that in Nusery. The boy would scratch my son when my son didn't want to play with him(because he would shout into my son's ears). He also tried to put pencils into my son's ears. I had met the mother just once at the start of the school year and she had said then that her son was very naughty, and had trouble in childcare.

But I didn't see a naughty child, to be honest. I saw a very clueless child who wanted friends but did not know how to express that appropriately and has not been taught the social strategies. He was clingy and frightened in a new setting but his mother kept brushing him off.

Your son is much more fortunate in that you took note, see the best in him, and are trying to help him.

Maybe you can consider the following:

- speech development. Is it on track? Can he express himself adequately with words? Children who can't tend to hit out instead.

- has he been taught how to invite others to play? You can practice with him what to do and what to say. Then go to the playground and practice together, you modeling for him initially and giving him verbal cues. Bring toys that can be shared, or things like bubble wands. This always get a lot of kids coming up! :)

- also teach him it's okay if some kids don't want to play with him. Faced with rejection, he can look for other kids or do something on his own.

- adjusting force. Get him to squeeze your hand or hit your hand, and calibrate the force with words. Gentle, okay, too hard! Just three grades, any more is too confusing. This gives him an idea of how to adjust his touch when dealing with peers, instead of adults. If he has been playing a lot with adults, he is probably used to using a lot of force.

- work with the teachers to let them know what you are doing. Ask them to help you pinpoint at which point he actually start hitting, and if he's really hitting. When he is rejected? When others come too near? To get other kids' attention? Once you have the information, you can give him better strategies.

- when he improves his strategies, praise him. Eg you are good at making friends! You know how to be gentle!

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cahill » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Children require structure and predictable rules. Above all, they require attention. Back in the day, parents bothered their children when they came home from school. Some parents may not have known how to do long division. They may not have known how to write or how to construct a business letter. But they knew how to prod their children because they wanted them to be something.

Parents back then might have said, "Well, what did you do today in geometry?" They may have thought isosceles was a guy from the Bible and that a hypotenuse was a big ugly animal in Africa, but they knew their kids. They would make us go upstairs, get the book, bring it down, sit with them, and go over it. And even if they didn't understand, they'd pretend to. They pretended to because they knew kids needed an education. That need hasn't changed.

cahill
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mdmlow » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:35 pm

Teach him that there should be no violence but sounds like he’s very eager to win regardless of method used.

mdmlow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Summer tan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:16 am

ammonite wrote:
Radie88 wrote:My son is 3 years old and attending the pre-school. I’m beginning to feel sad and worried because he tend to hurt his classmates to be able to start a play. My son is physically active he loves to play soccer ball, roam around the park, hide and seek and cuddling, but he grow up with no playmates of his age…so I’m thinking if this has impact. I’m thinking what ways I need to do in order discipline him… My little boy is sweet and eager to learn but.. I don’t want him hurting other kids…and I don’t want him to be labeled as bully later on and I'm afraid that his school might oust him due to his behavior....

Hi Radie,

Your son just need more guidance and consistent reinforcement. My son had a classmate just like that in Nusery. The boy would scratch my son when my son didn't want to play with him(because he would shout into my son's ears). He also tried to put pencils into my son's ears. I had met the mother just once at the start of the school year and she had said then that her son was very naughty, and had trouble in childcare.

But I didn't see a naughty child, to be honest. I saw a very clueless child who wanted friends but did not know how to express that appropriately and has not been taught the social strategies. He was clingy and frightened in a new setting but his mother kept brushing him off.

Your son is much more fortunate in that you took note, see the best in him, and are trying to help him.

Maybe you can consider the following:

- speech development. Is it on track? Can he express himself adequately with words? Children who can't tend to hit out instead.

- has he been taught how to invite others to play? You can practice with him what to do and what to say. Then go to the playground and practice together, you modeling for him initially and giving him verbal cues. Bring toys that can be shared, or things like bubble wands. This always get a lot of kids coming up! :)

- also teach him it's okay if some kids don't want to play with him. Faced with rejection, he can look for other kids or do something on his own.

- adjusting force. Get him to squeeze your hand or hit your hand, and calibrate the force with words. Gentle, okay, too hard! Just three grades, any more is too confusing. This gives him an idea of how to adjust his touch when dealing with peers, instead of adults. If he has been playing a lot with adults, he is probably used to using a lot of force.

- work with the teachers to let them know what you are doing. Ask them to help you pinpoint at which point he actually start hitting, and if he's really hitting. When he is rejected? When others come too near? To get other kids' attention? Once you have the information, you can give him better strategies.

- when he improves his strategies, praise him. Eg you are good at making friends! You know how to be gentle!

Hi ammonite

U sounded like a professional! Thank u I will go try out too!

Summer tan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby KimMills » Thu May 16, 2013 1:41 am

I completely agree with Radie on one point- that is- speech development. Not only children, as adults also when we cannot express ourselves some type of an anger and restlessness starts developing inside of us which we express by being harsh on others which ofcourse, has its repurcussions.

KimMills
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child