Should I change my kid's school?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Should I change my kid's school?

Postby heyhoe » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:55 pm

My kid has just been offered a place in a CC, which is a walking distance from my place. This is after being on a waiting list for about 2 years.

I've brought him to see the CC but he doesn't want to change. He still prefers his present school.

His reason, .......... his CC always has plentiful of snacks! Now, I don't know if I should just let him be? Welcome your thoughts on this.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Should I change my kid's school?

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Is your child in N2 or K1? If your child is in K1 this yr, you might want to chk what's the gap academic wise. If the futurCC is more advanced then you will need to help him to catch up. For me I will hesitate to transfer when the child is at K1 if there's no very strong reason like, child very unhappy or financial issues.

Is your child progressing and developing well in his present CC? If he is, do you want to disrupt it?

What may appear insignificant to us might be very important to a kid. Do you think your child will be able to adapt to the new place? If you really wish to change him to the new place, the snack issue can be easily resolved by packing a wide variety of snack for him if the new CC has a fixed list of snacks. But sometimes it's not about the snacks. At such a young age, a child might not be able to give a reason on why he/she does not want to change and so might give any reason not to leave. You know your child best and will know if he is able to adapt.

cheers

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heyhoe » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi SAHM_TAN, thanks for your feedback. My kid is K1 right now and I did go thru their academic gap is alright as it seems on par. In fact, the environment in the new school seems better; which explains for its' long waiting list.

I definitely want my kid to be happy and do worried if he'll be able to fit in should we change CC. Well, I guess it is more on me, as I wish that I do not have to struggle running from one place to another on a daily basis before 7pm. Every day, I have to pick my kids from childcare and student care and constantly worried that I'll be late in picking them up. The places are far a part and if I change the CC, logistically it will be easier for me.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:33 pm

If the K1 and K2 curriculum do not differ much, the trs are comparable and you prefer the new CC's environment, then you only need to consider will your child be able to adapt.

For example my DD1 has no problem in adapting to new environment. Wherever I "throw" her, she will be fine and be able to make frens within mins. My DS on the other hand takes a long time to adjust. Even with good teachers, my DS will take a longer time to adjust.

If your ds is in N2, the qn on adaptability is not critical becos there's more time to adjust till K2. K2 is to prepare for P1.

I do not know if you have other prep classes for your ds or just depending on CC to prep him for P1.

Also need to consider is he very attached to his frens in the current CC?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:39 am

I had similar situation last oct. My child was with a cc since infant days until n1. All his friends were there and he was very well lived in the cc. Some of the parents used to tell me, their children learnt to say my child's name first before their children's own name/before learning to call out daddy or mummy!

Last year, there were many changes in the cc, changes which I was unhappy with. After considering for three months, I decided to pull child out. Found another place within three weeks. Child was unwilling. Understandable, the cc was an impt part of his grow and world. All the friends he knew all his life, you know. Many of them were like my child, enrolled in this cc since a few months old. The bond was strong.

While there were some resistant from child on day 1, he assimilated well and very fast. I took one week leave with the intention to accompany him at the cc to help him cope. But within 3 days, he was like part of the cc already and told me to go home. In his own simple way, he told me he liked his new sch and told me that he would be ok to stay alone in the new sch.

Give it a try, if you have already weigh the pros and cons. Try to fish out and understand what are your child's concerns about the new place. It is only by understanding the concerns that you can address them and help the child to move on.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heyhoe » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:42 am

Hi SAHM_TAN and Imami, thanks for sharing. Ds3 has been there since playgroup and he has been the pioneer. Thus, he has many friends and I can see their bonds are very close.

He has bubbly personality. He loves to talk and can even talk to strangers at a bus top. Sigh, have to decide soon.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mummy so kiasu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:57 pm

heyhoe wrote:Hi SAHM_TAN and Imami, thanks for sharing. Ds3 has been there since playgroup and he has been the pioneer. Thus, he has many friends and I can see their bonds are very close.

He has bubbly personality. He loves to talk and can even talk to strangers at a bus top. Sigh, have to decide soon.

Since your boy has bubbly personality, he should not have problem adapting to a new environment. My girl is like your boy, very sociable & can even talk to strangers. It is easier to make the necessary changes early. The longer they stay in the CC, the more difficult to change.

Let the new CC teacher to talk to him & make friend with him. Ask the teacher to introduce new friends to him. Let him bring some tibits to share with his new friends on his first day of school. Take half a day leave to pick him up earlier. Don't forget to talk about the exciting things that he did on that day & his new friends.
Last edited by mummy so kiasu on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby despmom99 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:01 am

mummy so kiasu is right. Since your boy has a bubbly personality, there should be not problem after a few days. He may not be able to adjust for two to three days but he will be fine after that.

despmom99
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby heyhoe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks for all the feedback.

We've decided to stick to his old school as he just refused to change his school. I just hope he'll not be too resistant when primary school comes as we will have no choice.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:09 pm

Moving on to primary school is different becos there's closure in the form of graduation ceremony. The kids are pretty hype to go to the new school. My dd1 kept asking me what was her primary school. I didn't say becos was under P2B and not 100% sure will get in.

The other issue could be wanting to go to the same primary school as his frens. I told dd1 that she and her frens lived in different areas, so not possible to be in the same primary school. :evil:

Share a tip, my fren changed her ds from cc to kindy. She said that he was graduating to a bigger kid school to help him accept the new place.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child