Pls share your best tips for teaching 3-4yo

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Pls share your best tips for teaching 3-4yo

Postby MOTY » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi,

My child just turned three.

Can you share your most successful tips for teaching 3-4yo children for any of the items below? In particular, share any fun games or sneaky technique you used to achieve your ends.

- bath themselves
- put on clothes themselves
- write
- eat and drink independently
- enjoy reading out loud
- do simple arithmetics
- tidy up
- anything else you feel is important

:thankyou:

MOTY
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Pls share your best tips for teaching 3-4yo

Postby Imami » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:52 pm

MOTY wrote:Hi,
My child just turned three.
Can you share your most successful tips for teaching 3-4yo children for any of the items below? In particular, share any fun games or sneaky technique you used to achieve your ends.
- bath themselves
- put on clothes themselves
- write
- eat and drink independently
- enjoy reading out loud
- do simple arithmetics
- tidy up
- anything else you feel is important
:thankyou:

I instilled the idea of keeping his own toys and books since he was an infant. Initially it's like a game - pick up all the blocks and put them into a bucket, push all the soft toys to one corner. By fifteen months old, he was tidying up him own stuff.

As for reading out loud, can I expand it to enjoy reading? My child started to read (pictures) when he was 18 months. Prior to that, he was not keen in books. The series of books that got him hooked on reading was " farmyard tales". The story was simple, the pictures were cute and colourful. The best part was the little yellow duck hiding somewhere on the page which he loved to find.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:38 pm

General tips: work the activities into your day, every day, till they become routine. Make them fun in some way. Don't mind mess. Praise a lot when they co-operate or master a new skill. Do it with them and model what you want to see. Don't make them learn skills on paper (not at this age) but in real life - this applies mainly to learning maths.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:30 am

Hi,

I think the bathing part depends on individual child and shouldn't be rushed. Some kids have a very good mental body map and fast reaction and can master showering easily. Others do not and may need a much longer time, especially if they need to adjust water temperature. My elder could only shower by himself with a lot of practice, guidance, and a mirror when he was turning seven. My younger one could do it competently without any guidance before he turned five. Before they showered independently, I would tell them the steps as I shower them.

- independent eating - I gave my children utensils and toothpicks, from the time solids were introduced at eighth month and they just dived right in. they would feed themselves as I helped them. It was never a delberate decision to start them on self feeding, just something they did by themselves. The food was always cut to easy to handle sizes, and the utensils were always available from very young. Number Two being more coordinated, started with chopsticks earlier. He would get very offended when we gave him fork and spoon, and insisted on chopsticks.

Same with drinking. They never used bottles or sippy cups so they just transited to drinking with straws and cups naturally by themselves. We just helped them adjust the water level and angle at first, but it was not something that I spent time thinking.

I didn't do any seatwork with my children before four years old. (but if your child requests it, don't hold back.) I agree with simkhoo that things rooted in real life are generally more suitable at this stage.

Three to four is the age I really introduce more outdoor activities. Learning to cycle, use the scooter, throw and catch, using a swing independently, balancing on bars and uneven surfaces etc. indoors will be crafts work, learning to mix colors, fold paper aero planes , threading, and puzzles.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:48 am

I agree with what ammonite said - cannot rush.

We as parents, we introcduce the learning opportunities. But we have no control over when it happens. When the child is ready, it happens. Just like learning to talk or walk. We can try everything, but if the child is not ready, nothing will happen.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PhoBIA » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:21 am

Imami wrote:I agree with what ammonite said - cannot rush.

We as parents, we introcduce the learning opportunities. But we have no control over when it happens. When the child is ready, it happens. Just like learning to talk or walk. We can try everything, but if the child is not ready, nothing will happen.

I can't agree more. When my elder child was nearly 2yo, I read kids has to be toilet trained. So I kind of force it on him. It turned out stressful for me and him. Every few mins he would run to pass urine. However, much to our dismay, he would still pass urine anywhere except the toilet.... :(
Shortly, I gave up and reverted him to diapers.
6 mths into pre-nursery, he wean off diapers during daytime by himself.
When he turned 4yo, he decided he's big enough and stopped wearing during afternoon nap. At 5yo, he decided he's big enough to hold his bladder at night.

Lesson I learnt, when children are ready, they will do it. If they are not ready, no matter what you do, they will not be ready. And the journey will be tough. This applies to their learning journey too. As parents, we can only prepare the groundwork so when they are ready, they will take flight.

PhoBIA
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MOTY » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:07 pm

After a full day of work and then spending all my spare time bathing, cleaning, cooking, feeding and quality timing the kids I am exhausted and just want to chill out in bed. Our house is in such a mess. That's part of the reason I am looking for tips to help my 3yo be more independent. However, there is a time for everything. (Anyone listened to the song "somewhere" by Barbara Streisand?)

My new goals:
Schedule weekly tidy time with the kiddies.
Take them out for a walk or outdoor activity in the weekends.
Spend more them reading to them rather than forcing them to read to me.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far. Please keep them coming.

PS for those who are interested in toilet training I used a book call "Toilet training in less than a day" on my 2yo and he was literally trained in 1 day!!!.

MOTY
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Tidying - find that doing it daily works better. There's less to do than saving it for once a week. For a 3yo, you can get big boxes for different types of toys (cars, soft toys, bricks etc) and teach him to put them away before bedtime every day. I started teaching my kids to put away toys from the time they could crawl, and by 3-4yo, they could do 90% of the tidying up without much supervision.

Reading - can your 3yo already read? Most kids don't read much until 5yo, and usually their reading level is below their comprehension level, so they still benefit from and enjoy being read to. I didn't bother to teach my kids to read at 3-4yo, I just read aloud to them a lot. One learned to read without being taught at 4yo, while the other waited to be taught at 5.5yo. Even so, I continued to read to them till they were about 7yo when their reading speed and skill finally caught up with their comprehension. Both love reading and have a high standard of English despite my refusal to teach them to read early, so I don't think you need worry about them being 'behind' (I was nagged by my parents about this, but I held firm because I truly believe that loving books is important, and I was afraid of my kids not liking to read because of being forced to learn to read too early). And even though they couldn't read independently at 3-4yo, they would flip through books by themselves.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MOTY » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Yay! :rahrah:

DS did a decent job of sorting his toys into big boxes tonight. I wonder how much is due novelty of a new activity?

:xedfingers: we can keep the momentum.

Now if i can train him to pack away his clothes, wash the dishes, vacuum the floor, look after the baby..... :rotflmao:

Simkhoo: DS reads quite well. He started Peter and Jane 4a when he turned 3. But since then he has refused to read anymore Peter and Jane. I think he is intimdated by the busy appearance of the page as there are a lot of words. I have backed off the teaching and got him a library card last week thinking it might stimulate his interest in books but unfortunately he fell in the library and had a huge nose bleed. Will try again.

MOTY
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:42 pm

MOTY wrote:Simkhoo: DS reads quite well. He started Peter and Jane 4a when he turned 3. But since then he has refused to read anymore Peter and Jane. I think he is intimdated by the busy appearance of the page as there are a lot of words. I have backed off the teaching and got him a library card last week thinking it might stimulate his interest in books but unfortunately he fell in the library and had a huge nose bleed. Will try again.

That's impressive. If he doesn't like P&J (which I find incredibly boring!), there are lots of other books he might like. I hope he gets to like libraries - it's one of my kids' favourite places. Could his reluctance to read be because you read less to him if he reads himself? My younger girl told me when she was 4yo that she didn't want to learn to read because she wanted me to keep on reading to her. We made a deal that I would start teaching her at 5yo, and I also promised that I wouldn't stop reading to her! She still enjoyed being read to up to about 7yo - I recall reading the whole Narnia series (all 7 books) to her when she was 6yo.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child