Getting a iPhone for a 13 year old child

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Getting a iPhone for a 13 year old child

Postby iAngel00 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:07 pm

My child's phone contract is almost expiring and my child persuade me to buy a iPhone Lite plan for him. Anyways, he learnt how to take care of things that I've given him.. So, is it resonable?

iAngel00
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Getting a iPhone for a 13 year old child

Postby mummy so kiasu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:29 am

iAngel00 wrote:My child's phone contract is almost expiring and my child persuade me to buy a iPhone Lite plan for him. Anyways, he learnt how to take care of things that I've given him.. So, is it resonable?

It is up to the parents to decide whether their kids need a iPhone. My only concern is whether a child will spend too much time playing games on the phone.

mummy so kiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby weatherbee » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:52 am

My daughter has an iPhone as a reward for doing well in PSLE. She's sec 1 this year. I think that you can get it for him with some conditions like he must still be consistent in his studies. If not, you will take it back.

weatherbee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:32 am

I think there is nothing wrong with getting your child an iphone. His/Her classmates might already have them too. My dd got hers when she was P5 and it is very common around her circle of friends.

Like what weatherbee said, set conditions. I know she is on it almost every minute chatting with friends, listening to music. I monitor her school work. Told her I dont want to catch her bringing it into the bath room. When she's doing her hmwk, she has to leave it on the living room table. There were times that she didnt comply (that is, spending too much time on the iphone), i confiscate it. 3 years on, she knows how to manage it. My dd1 has no problem at all.

One may ask why give her and create problem for yourself? Errrr..... iphone is convenient and useful if used properly. Not only she used it as a phone, listen to music on the bus, she can use as a dictionary, street directory, check what time the next bus is coming, etc. We are living in a techno world :). Of course you need to monitor their internet usage.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:31 am

It is not the age but the child.
My 9+ YO has it and she has to exercise self-control on games, another value to give her iphone, develop "self-control". :lol: :boogie: :dancing:

Postby thetinyseed » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:41 am

My girl, now 15, had an iPhone when she was 13. I had to disable the YouTube then. I am also in-charge of the restrictions, and she could only download apps with my permission. I have since relaxed the control, but I still have access to what she downloads. No paid apps.

thetinyseed
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby iAngel00 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks guys! (: I've decided to get her an iPhone Lite plan (16GB) I've told him to control his usage of the phone. And he promise me that if he did'nt do well in his SA2. We are allowed to confiscate his phone over the December holidays. (Y)

iAngel00
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Imp75 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm

I don see any big deal about it, my kid got hers at P2

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby FlozaEleezen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:03 pm

It depends upon the parents whether they give i-phone to their children or not. But my advice is it is not reasonable because if we give them then they spent most of their time with playing game which is not good for them.

FlozaEleezen
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby singsongcity » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Think can give but must set rules for the child

singsongcity
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child