Anyone let your child cycle to school?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Anyone let your child cycle to school?

Postby chenwj » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:04 am

Wifey getting paranoid and we are sort of in some disagreement on this. :rahrah: :sweat: DS is in upper primary. :scared:

Actually I'm quite "on" one :evil: , I'm just worried he might misjudge the safety at pedestrian crossings.

chenwj
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Anyone let your child cycle to school?

Postby LOLMum » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:20 am

Sad to say, there are too many cars and impatient drivers. I walk to school with ds.. :scared: :mad: And I see things on the road which is why i won't let him cycle to school.

My son knows the traffic rules, but do the drivers?
Last edited by LOLMum on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:33 am

In my estate, there is a boy who cycles to school. A few occasions, he nearly fell at the kerb just before he got off the trafficd junction. Also did saw another student cycling to school and struggling with balancing and avoiding pedestrians. Passer by commented that shouldn't cycle if skills are not good. However in secondary school is different. There are a few sec school boys proficient in roller blading, blading to and from mrt station. But at times see them trying to beat the red light :sweat:

Once fetching my boy, at the traffic junction, a taxi driver tried to cut the lane of a learner driver during a right turn and horns were blasted. We got a shock so imagine ifthe kid is on his bike, will the sudden loud noise cause him to lose balance?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby fightingmom » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:34 am

your Wife has valid concerns. I have seen school children of a neighbouring school cycling dangerous across the road , especially at the junction where cars are entering or exiting the carpark entrance. They just check one side of the traffic but not the other direction. They might not be able to judge the speed of oncoming cars.

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:35 am

In my estate, there is a boy who cycles to school. A few occasions, he nearly fell at the kerb just before he got off the trafficd junction. Also did saw another student cycling to school and struggling with balancing and avoiding pedestrians. Passer by commented that shouldn't cycle if skills are not good. However in secondary school is different. There are a few sec school boys proficient in roller blading, blading to and from mrt station. But at times see them trying to beat the red light :sweat:

Once fetching my boy, at the traffic junction, a taxi driver tried to cut the lane of a learner driver during a right turn and horns were blasted. We got a shock so imagine ifthe kid is on his bike, will the sudden loud noise cause him to lose balance?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby august24 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:41 am

LOLMum wrote:Sad to say, there are too many cars and impatient drivers. I walk to school with ds.. :scared: :mad: So I won't let him cycle to school.

My son knows the traffic rules, but do the drivers?

Agree. I have encountered it twice! The road was marked red to indicate it is a sch zone. Imagine the cars on the first two lane has stopped, and while crossing the third lane, that car just zapped by! I literally froze in my tracks!

I keep repeating my encounter to remind dd & ds as they now travel home on their own. However, everytime they are late in reaching home, I start to worry.

Cycling home, err... no way cos both of them have 'no licence' to cycle (without training wheels)! :laugh:

august24
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby LOLMum » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:45 am

Unfortunately some of these drivers are the parents of the school :shrug:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Minstral » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:05 am

By right, cyclists are supposed to stop at pedestrian crossings and wheel their bikes across the road, rather than cycle across. If you can inculcate in your kid the importance of road safety and looking out for oncoming vehicles, that should be all right. However, you must teach your child not to cycle on the roads (I believe it's against the law anyway), and be very cautious too and not get into pedestrians' way when cycling on pavements.

Minstral
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby chenwj » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks for the inputs Moms and Dads.

He doesn't hav to cycle along the road but the path to school has 2 pedestrian crossings which is the main concern. It would be dark in early morning and he should have higher chances of knocking onto others as they should be sleepy and not notice their surroundings.

Maybe I shall cycle with him to school to observe the conditions.

chenwj
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Working With Your Child