Storytelling!

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How do you choose the stories you tell your kids?

Stories I know well
16%
Well-known fairy tales
10%
Stories my child likes
32%
Stories that teach values/life lessons
26%
Stories that are easy to understand
13%
Stories that will make my child sleep faster
No votes
I do not tell stories
No votes
Others (Post a reply!)
3%

Total votes : 31

Storytelling!

Postby sjiahui » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi, would like to know how you mums and dads choose the stories you tell your children at bedtime, or any other time of the day. Do you choose stories that are easy to tell? Well known fairy-tales? Stories that will coax your child to sleep more quickly? Stories that have a lesson to teach? Traditional stories?
This is part of research I have to do for a school project, so please help!
Also, if you do not tell your children any stories, why not?
Elaborate as much as you would like! Any extra info could be of help!

Thank you!!

sjiahui
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Storytelling!

Postby thetinyseed » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:42 pm

My kids will usually choose a book or story they like, and have me read to them before bedtime. Thereafter, they may want to move on to other books by the same author or has a similar story line. For the past 3 months, we've been reading Roald Dahl's books. It all started when my boy, 7, wanted me to read "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". We've read "BFG", "George's Marvellous Medicine", "Enormous Crocodile" and are now at "James' Giant Peach".

Hope this helps!

thetinyseed
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:43 am

Is my kid choose the story to read. :rotflmao: I listen.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:09 am

Generally, I tell stories at bedtime to reinforce the lesson learn that day (e.g my child has been rather unkind to a classmate. I would come up with a story to remind him that such behavior is undesirable). Nothing to do with reading books.

For reading at bed time, there are two parts. Part one, my son chooses the books he wants to read for the night and I listen. These are usually simple readers or ladybird books. Next, I will read the more cheem books, which are beyond him at the moment. His reading is limited to simple sentences but he can understand much more, beyond his literacy skills. We are doing geronimo Stilton books now.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby elohz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:33 pm

My kids loves the story of the three little pigs. Thats their all time favorite, i usually used their names as the name of the pigs in the story.They find it more interesting.

elohz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sundaymorning » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:48 am

elohz wrote:My kids loves the story of the three little pigs. Thats their all time favorite, i usually used their names as the name of the pigs in the story.They find it more interesting.

Yeah my kids too . Also bought them a board game for three little pigs and they love it.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NpkrVoP_iJY/T ... ot-WEB.JPG

Its this one but i didnt get it in this site, its from a retail store.

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Wan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:08 am

Of course stories they like b4 bedtime to round up an hectic day. It's our limited bonding time, esp weekday after a long day at work. No point fighting over what to read. She will choose & I'll read. Sometimes, I pause for her to read alternate pages. She may choose same books so we just reread. We usu end off with Q&A. 5 questions regarding the characters or storylines. Last question open ended that she can apply to daily life. If she's in the mood, role reversal- she reads & asks questions.

For my son who is older, he reads at his own leisure. Sometimes Geronimo, sometimes science magazines.

Trying to get both to read more Chinese books. Tough!

Wan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sundaymorning » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Wan wrote:Of course stories they like b4 bedtime to round up an hectic day. It's our limited bonding time, esp weekday after a long day at work. No point fighting over what to read. She will choose & I'll read. Sometimes, I pause for her to read alternate pages. She may choose same books so we just reread. We usu end off with Q&A. 5 questions regarding the characters or storylines. Last question open ended that she can apply to daily life. If she's in the mood, role reversal- she reads & asks questions.

For my son who is older, he reads at his own leisure. Sometimes Geronimo, sometimes science magazines.

Trying to get both to read more Chinese books. Tough!

Hi Wan,
yeah i probably should end off my story telling with Q&A.
It improves their understanding of the story .
Usually i read it during the weekends and approximately 3 times durin weekdays, they will choose the stories.
Anyone knows what story books are good for children to teach kids how to read ? At the age of 5-6 .

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Wan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:58 pm

With good phonics foundation, children age 5-6 should be able to read simple books on their own. This thread is about bedtime stories, so I shan't discuss word recognition bit. My girl likes fairytales and has been reading "magic porridge pot", "the elves & the shoemaker" & "little red hen" etc ladybird series. To bring the stories alive, I bring them to children plays when they are on. We just watched itheatre's "little red hen" which just ended. Think "goldilocks & the 3 bears" is still on.

My son's pri sch teacher gave us some suggestions for extension of reading, writing book review, asking the child why the like the story, would the child end the story the same way or create a different ending to the story. I thought we can adopt this for younger kids. For those who like drawing, can draw the characters, scenes & plots from the stories. Otherwise, ask the child to tell you the stories in their own words verbally or act out the scenes yourselves injecting some new plots.

Wan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Working With Your Child