Burn out in study

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Burn out in study

Postby little patrick » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:30 am

Dear all

How, how to help the kid who has burn out in their study. Come to P4, my ds attitude toward his homework is very bad. He HATE to do homework, when he saw homework he can "faint", not enjoy doing homework, he wants freedom, doing homework taking up alot of his free time .......... OMG

little patrick
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Burn out in study

Postby fightingmom » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:01 am

Does he has a lot of homework? Is it just school homework or tuition homework or maybe both ?

Some kids are overwhelmed when they see their homework piled up at their table. Teach your ds to prioritise which homework is more important and urgent now. Some teachers give out a few worksheets but to be handled in the following week.

Sometimes my dd does her homework in such order: English, Maths, Chinese then Science... That way she has a "change" of homework and she can concentrate better. Or sometimes she works on the more challenging homework first (usually Maths prob sum) then follows by the easier ones. That way, she tends to finish up faster as the easier ones comes along.

Another suggestion I can come up with is to get a buddy. Some kids can work better if they have a buddy doing the same thing with them. Can create a bit of competition between them like who can finish a particular homework first ?

Also, if your ds' motivation is to play .. Then strike a "deal" with him.. If he finishes x number of homework, he can play games for 20 mins, etc.

Hope it helps. :smile:

fightingmom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:01 am

little patrick wrote:Dear all

How, how to help the kid who has burn out in their study. Come to P4, my ds attitude toward his homework is very bad. He HATE to do homework, when he saw homework he can "faint", not enjoy doing homework, he wants freedom, doing homework taking up alot of his free time .......... OMG

You won't be able to find a solution unless you diagnose the root of the problem. Are you able to share WHY he hates homework?

(1) Was there a specific event that triggers this?
(2) Is there a particular subject?
(3) Who sits down with him to do HW and what is this person's personality like?

I dunno if this helps. I wrote it in response to a Mom whose PSLE child refused to study - http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 29#p775829.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mychildren » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:53 pm

little patrick wrote:Dear all

Set up a time table with him so that he know how much time he need to clear his work & how much time left for play for that particular day.

When my younger DS has had a lot of homework from school and grumbled, I did this with him. So he understood time in relation to work & play and he won't grumble and started work instead. :wink:
Mychildren
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child