My child doing superhero role-play

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

My child doing superhero role-play

Postby Cheekymum » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi all,

Recently,with the hype of superhero movies(e.g. Batman, Spiderman), my 7 year old son has developed an interest in superhero role-playing.
He would ask for superhero costumes and when I refused to give in, he would use his creative juice and come out with his own costume using unwanted clothes and newspaper.

Although I have told him the difference between reality and the fantasy world and warned him repetitively, I am still worried that he might try jumping off the table or HDB window ,thinking that he has the ability to fly.

Do you guys face the same problem or have any suggestions on other role-playing activities that might interest kids?

Thank you

Cheekymum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: My child doing superhero role-play

Postby simple2005 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:44 pm

My own thoughts.

1. Be glad to see that your child is resourceful enough to improvise with scraps he can find :cool: Nurture that positive aspect.

2. Instead of telling him 'you cannot do this' or 'you shouldn't do that'... how about trying another approach. Actually do the role play with him and pretend to be another super hero and play with him and develop a superhero story.

To understand his thinking, when the opportunity comes in your story that you have to 'fly' or some stunt, just ask... hmm... do you think we can really fly? And listen to his answer. And work from there. Maybe come with an alternative, and run with your imagination.

Work the logic in, instead of 'teaching' and 'telling'. With enough chances, they will develop a logical way of thinking themselves, instead of having to listen to adults' advice.

The boy will also appreciate that you're interested in their games.

Disclaimer, this is what I personally think, I'm just a person who likes to be silly with the kids sometimes.

Cheers.

simple2005
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:39 pm

I agree that you should encourage him to continue to improvise. It's great training for creativity. If you are concerned that he might get carried away and do something dangerous, then teach him how to do it safely. Let him jump from a stool or in the playground from a low height, and let him fall a few times. He will soon learn what he can manage and what he can't.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:28 pm

Just make sure you lock your grilles.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chubbie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Hihi, my 7 yo DS is also into superheroes. His number one hero now is batman. I have the same concerns as cheekymum with regard to DS's safety. I kept reminding him the character is just fantasy and not real. DS is playing batman games on PS3 and would sometimes imitate the ways batman carried himself or behaved.

Chubbie
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby davidwatson1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 pm

I agree with simple2005. You should actually try and explain things in a practical way so that he understands your perspective well. And never discourage your child from experimenting but encourage him to share everything with you before attempting so that you can take care of his safety.

davidwatson1
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child