What factors should I consider when getting toys for kids?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

What factors should I consider when getting toys for kids?

Postby StressedOne » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:17 am

Hi everyone,

As titled, just thinking what are the general factors that u all consider when getting toys for ur child?

I have a 2yo son and other than general stuff like safety, what should I consider when getting a toy for him?

StressedOne
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: What factors should I consider when getting toys for my

Postby Meehoongoreng » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:04 pm

*bump bump*
Interested to know also ^^

Meehoongoreng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: What factors should I consider when getting toys for my

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:17 pm

I tried to get toys which can be played with many ways - eg. Duplo, blocks, masak-masak, dolls/soft toys, cars, playdough etc. That means that they toys can seem different each time, and the child has to use some imagination while playing. Initially, the adult may have to lead the way and show how to play imaginatively. Things that a bit more complex like puzzles are good too as it helps builds concentration. I avoided anything that only requires pushing buttons to make sounds, lights etc, partly because it mostly trains the child in button-pushing, and partly because I am very irritated by high-pitched sounds and bad music (and many toys have bad music). It also saves money because you don't have to keep replacing batteries!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Toys for kids?

Postby cherlr » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi parents(: What kind of toys do you usually buy for your child?? Which aspects do you look into?
Do you prefer traditional (like hands-on, playdoh etc.) or electronic gadgets for your kids?

Would llooovvveee to know your view :please:

cherlr
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Toys for kids?

Postby cherrygal » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Definitely no electronic gadgets. We buy lots of lego, rubiks cube, boardgames, drawing boards, kitchen playsets, ride-ons, RC cars, dolls, figurines, jigsaw puzzles, craft materials etc. Educational PC games are fine but we limit the time spent on such games. We do not believe in throwing an iPad or PSP to our kids.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:13 am

How old are your kids? My kids are teenagers now, and it's different with every age group.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherlr » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:55 pm

slmkhoo wrote:How old are your kids? My kids are teenagers now, and it's different with every age group.

Hi. I'm lookin at kids from ard the age 5~8 (:

cherlr
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:12 pm

cherlr wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:How old are your kids? My kids are teenagers now, and it's different with every age group.

Hi. I'm lookin at kids from ard the age 5~8 (:

At that age, I strictly limited screen and gadget time. They were only allowed 30 mins of TV daily, and 30 mins of computer time about twice a week. This was 10 yrs ago, so there were fewer gadgets, but I also avoided toys that needed batteries or power sources - couldn't stand the noise, and didn't like kids to push buttons instead of playing with 'real' stuff.

The main toys of that era were Duplo/Lego, dolls & stuffed animals, jigsaws, simple board or card games, balls, bikes etc. They liked drawing and writing, crafts etc. They also did a lot of make-believe with dolls and toys. Both my kids are girls, so their activities were tamer than boys, I guess.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:56 pm

My older kids are around that age range.

They play zoob, Lego, laq, duplo, wooden construction set, role play toys, board games, cooperative games, kids' card games, thinking games, they have their share of cars, dolls and stuff toys, science stuff, puppets.

iPad and iPhone only use as last resort. :lol:

TV give and take. Some days I can achieve 0 hour. Sometimes 2 hrs ( throughtout the day)

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby elohz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:08 pm

At this time, i buy group game toys, like tumbling monkeys, role playing toys and board games. I want my kids to develop interaction with other kids as well as with some family members.

Kids right now are very smart, they know how to use and play with computers and other electronic gadget on their own.

elohz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child