Any experience with EPGY courses?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Any experience with EPGY courses?

Postby tired mom » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:00 pm

Would like to hear from anyone who had experience with online EPGY courses.

I am interested in enrolling my P2 DD for some English courses that EPGY organises, more specifically the Language Arts and Writing, as well as Reading and Writing about Literature courses. My P2 DD has a flair for writing (unlike her older sis), which I would like to develop. Having gone through the primary school english syllabus with my older DD, leading up to PSLE, I find that the teaching of good writing skills is somewhat lacking and unimaginative. This is why I am looking for help in this aspect to hopefully further develop her potential.

Would appreciate any feedback if you had experience with this online course before, either generally (had joined EPGY but different courses) or specifically (had experience with these two courses that I am considering).

Also, regarding the technical aspects (since it is an online course) and the structuring of the modules.

Thanks in advance!

:thankyou:

tired mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Any experience with EPGY courses?

Postby Chenonceau » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:16 pm

tired mom wrote:Would like to hear from anyone who had experience with online EPGY courses.

I am interested in enrolling my P2 DD for some English courses that EPGY organises, more specifically the Language Arts and Writing, as well as Reading and Writing about Literature courses. My P2 DD has a flair for writing (unlike her older sis), which I would like to develop. Having gone through the primary school english syllabus with my older DD, leading up to PSLE, I find that the teaching of good writing skills is somewhat lacking and unimaginative. This is why I am looking for help in this aspect to hopefully further develop her potential.

Would appreciate any feedback if you had experience with this online course before, either generally (had joined EPGY but different courses) or specifically (had experience with these two courses that I am considering).

Also, regarding the technical aspects (since it is an online course) and the structuring of the modules.

Thanks in advance!

Which EPGY are you asking about? This one? http://epgy.stanford.edu/

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi tired mom,

If you are looking for a writing course, then LAW may not be suitable. The focus of LAW is on grammar, rather than writing stories. You might want to consider the Elementary Expository writing course. However, this course is open only to those 9 and above. For early entry, you need to seek approval from the course administrator.

Is your child already eight? Just realised that EPGY is offering a new course - Literary Salon. Am thinking if I should enrol my son for it. http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/english/litsalon/
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tired mom » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Yes, Chenonceau, this is the one :smile:

Thanks Chamonix for the quick reply! Just checked it out. Yes, the lit salon does look.interesting. My only fear that my DD may not b mature enough to handle Shakespearen stuff. She may be an advanced reader, but she is only 8 and maturity does lag behind reading age....

Ya ,you r right too.... LAW course does look kinda dry....

tired mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby metz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:03 pm

tired mom wrote:Ya ,you r right too.... LAW course does look kinda dry....

The course isn't that boring. The student will be taught some grammar rules and expected to answer questions related to what they have learnt. On top of that, the virtual classroom sessions are interesting. My kids got to chat a little with the other kids online. Quite an experience for them. :)

RWL is a good choice as it checks on the child's comprehension of books he/she reads. Great for parents who are short of time. :)

Do take note that RWL comes free when the child is registered for LAW.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tired mom » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:21 am

Hi Chamonix, good to know that your kids enjoyed the course :smile: Technically speaking, was it difficult to set up the virtual classroom?

Am now considering starting with a term of LAW and RWL to test it out. Perhaps the expository writing later if my DD enjoys the course.

Do you know if : since my DD is 8, do I straight away enrol her for the Grade 2 course, or does the program perform an assessment to see which grade she will fit into? :?

TIA

tired mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby metz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:54 am

The virtual classroom software is a breeze to install. Just ensure that your PC or laptop meets the requirements as stated. What you need would be a microphone and earphones for the classes.

My daughter was 6+ when she was enrolled for LAW Grade 2 course. You can speak with the course co-ordinator on placing your DD at a higher level if you wish. Your DD should be starting at Grade 3 based on her age.

Happy learning. :)
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tired mom » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:06 am

chamonix wrote:The virtual classroom software is a breeze to install. Just ensure that your PC or laptop meets the requirements as stated. What you need would be a microphone and earphones for the classes.

My daughter was 6+ when she was enrolled for LAW Grade 2 course. You can speak with the course co-ordinator on placing your DD at a higher level if you wish. Your DD should be starting at Grade 3 based on her age.

Happy learning. :)

:thankyou: for your kind input :smile:

tired mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Gxmas » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi Chamonix, may I ask whether there are exams for these EPGY online courses? If yes, how are they administered? Apart from enrichment purpose, how do we use these credits for further studies? Thanks!

Gxmas
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child