Dealing with Siblings

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Dealing with Siblings

Postby Swati » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:24 pm

I have two children and they have only 18 months gap between them. This is somewhat tough for me at times, because what one of them has, is what the other one wont give. A while back, the solution I thought up was to get 2 of everything, but of course that was burning a whole in my pocket. I took to discount and coupon shopping for them, so that i can get some relief. Although they moistly like toys that they spot, i figured it is a better option to get the daily stuff online. If anyone else has any tips for how to get the two siblings to stop fighting over things (while keeping note that buying more toys, hardly solves the problem) please do let me know. Tip: i get diapers and soaps and shampoos, from hushbabies.com

Swati
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Dealing with Siblings

Postby mummy of 2 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:36 pm

My kids are about 20 momths apart. I do the opposite. Whatever they fight over, gets kept in the storeroom. I also praise them when I see them sharing or taking turns to play/use certain things. This does not eliminate the fighting but makes it manageable as it does reduce the frequency of their fighting over things. Hope this helps.

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Dealing with Siblings

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:40 pm

My girls are 2 yrs apart in age. From the time they were small, I taught them to take turns. We only got 2 items for really personal things like cups, toothbrushes, bags etc, not toys. To train them, I used a timer when they argued, so one would get 5 mins, then the other would get her turn. If they fought, the item would go on a high shelf for a couple of days. I tried to be fair and not always ask the older one to give in to the younger one. I agree that buying more toys is not a solution.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child