Sharing?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Sharing?

Postby Oppsgal » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:17 pm

How to teach kids to share toys and things with others?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Sharing?

Postby Oppsgal » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:03 am

:shrug:

Anyone? No tips?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:11 am

Start with turn-taking. If your kids are young, keep the turns short, like 5 mins a turn. Praise them when they agree and don't fuss. If the child can speak, get them to suggest and arrange the turn-taking. Practise a lot at home so they learn the system before doing it outside, also remembering that other kids may not have learned how to share!

Suggest alternatives for them to do while waiting for their turn. Use a timer to mark the time so there are no arguments.

Confiscate toys (for a couple of hours or a day) when they refuse to take turns.

If you have an only child, make him take turns with you. Kids who always get their way because adults let them will find it hard to share.

When kids are older, they can learn to share as in doing something together. But for younger kids, this can be beyond them.

Hope this helps.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:16 pm

I don't believe in buying the same thing twice just so my kids don't fight.

Those common things (ipad for eg), we will set time limit - eg 15 min for each round.

Those that belong to them, eg DS1's toys, will be up to them to share if they so wish. There are days when they will not want to share 'their' own toys. When things get heated, I will threaten them with communism - ie all toys belong to the state and the state will decide who gets what. Usually they will start sharing in a hurry. Also can teach a bit of political science.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MrsSeah » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Yes. I also do turn-taking and I used timer too. :p I will set 10 - 15 minutes and once the timer ring, mean it turn for the other to play.

Now they are bigger and able to see the time themselves. They are so use to it that they will negiotate the "time" themselves. LOL!!!

MrsSeah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:41 pm

MrsSeah wrote:Yes. I also do turn-taking and I used timer too. :p I will set 10 - 15 minutes and once the timer ring, mean it turn for the other to play.

Now they are bigger and able to see the time themselves. They are so use to it that they will negiotate the "time" themselves. LOL!!!

My kid is the only kid, so we try to play together. :sweat: When I reach for the toys, my kid will scream "Nooo, mine!" Then pass me something else.

Or when playing lego, I try placing bricks together, my kid's reaction like: "No!" then next minute, all the bricks will be taken apart and throwing of toys...

:yikes:

Maybe will try the timer method next time.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child