Online Maths and English assessments?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Online Maths and English assessments?

Postby myebelle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi to all the lovely parents here....

I am a Singaporean currently live in Melbourne and my children are in Grade 3 and 4 here. We are thinking of moving to Singapore if my husband gets a job.

I've enquired and know that my children can be exempted from Chinese if they attend a government school. My worry is, the Mathematics and English syllabus here are waaaay to easy. That means that when my children are sitting for the entry tests at the respective primary schools in Singapore, they will probably be laughed at by the teachers. :nailbite: :siao: :slapshead:

So I do want to start adding more substance to their mathematics and english learning from home. I would like to get hold of some exercises/assessments where they can practise at home. Can I get any of these online? Or are they mainly only available at Popular Bookstores?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

Michelle

myebelle
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Online Maths and English assessments?

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 pm

I don't think you can get them online. Some Singapore Maths textbooks and workbooks are sold overseas.

The Australian distributor is at the bottom of this page:
http://www.singaporemath.com/Distributo ... NEWZEALAND

It will not be exactly the same as the latest books used in Singapore, but it's similar. I also believe you may be able to buy books from Popular bookstore and have them shipped overseas.

For English, is the Australian standard so low? You can probably also buy the books from Popular. My kids were educated overseas (in Chinese school) so we just used the Singapore textbooks a bit, and we didn't find them too tough (P1 and P3). They attended Singapore school for half of their P2 and P4 year and had no difficulties in English. They re-entered Singapore school again at P4 and P6, this time after being in the US system for a couple of years, and didn't have difficulties. It's quite easy to adjust to the exercises etc as long as their basic command of English is good.

There are many schools exam papers available for downloads on various websites which you can use as reference.

If you have friends or relatives in Singapore, you can ask them to get the books and post them to you, or have someone hand-carry them to you on a visit. Hope this helps.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby myebelle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:20 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I don't think you can get them online. Some Singapore Maths textbooks and workbooks are sold overseas.

The Australian distributor is at the bottom of this page:
http://www.singaporemath.com/Distributo ... NEWZEALAND

It will not be exactly the same as the latest books used in Singapore, but it's similar. I also believe you may be able to buy books from Popular bookstore and have them shipped overseas.

For English, is the Australian standard so low? You can probably also buy the books from Popular. My kids were educated overseas (in Chinese school) so we just used the Singapore textbooks a bit, and we didn't find them too tough (P1 and P3). They attended Singapore school for half of their P2 and P4 year and had no difficulties in English. They re-entered Singapore school again at P4 and P6, this time after being in the US system for a couple of years, and didn't have difficulties. It's quite easy to adjust to the exercises etc as long as their basic command of English is good.

There are many schools exam papers available for downloads on various websites which you can use as reference.

If you have friends or relatives in Singapore, you can ask them to get the books and post them to you, or have someone hand-carry them to you on a visit. Hope this helps.

Thank, slmkhoo. I am not too afraid of English, mainly Mathematics.I know to-date, my kids have not gone in-depth into division, let alone area and perimeter. I went into a primary school website in Singapore and had a look at their semester assessment guide ... and the P4 kids are required to know area and perimeter. I'm thinking..... REALLY???? Like length x breadth kind of area???? Or am I mistaken? In any case, I freaked out. :scared: :scared:

Is Kumon widely used in Singapore? Is that similar to Singapore syllabus? I know where I can get Kumon exercise books.

myebelle
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:03 pm

myebelle wrote:Thank, slmkhoo. I am not too afraid of English, mainly Mathematics.I know to-date, my kids have not gone in-depth into division, let alone area and perimeter. I went into a primary school website in Singapore and had a look at their semester assessment guide ... and the P4 kids are required to know area and perimeter. I'm thinking..... REALLY???? Like length x breadth kind of area???? Or am I mistaken? In any case, I freaked out. :scared: :scared:

Is Kumon widely used in Singapore? Is that similar to Singapore syllabus? I know where I can get Kumon exercise books.

Don't be scared - it's really not that frightening! I think your best bet is to get a set of Singapore Math textbooks and workbooks so you can teach them. I can't remember what is taught at each level as my kids are sec level already, but unless your kids are weak at Maths, as long as you cover it ahead, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you are planning to have your kids in P4 and P5, then they will certainly need to be familiar with the 4 operations, so you can start on that first while getting hold of the books. One of my daughters is not too good at Maths, but she didn't have too much trouble with the basics of Maths in Pr school. It's only the brain-teaser questions that can be tricky, but for school entrance, I think they want to see that the child has the basic concepts in place. I don't know much about Kumon, but I don't think it follows the Singapore syllabus.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kitty2 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:54 am

Go through these papers http://www.orlesson.org/orp/MathExam.html you'll know which are the topics they're studying

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child