What stresses your kid?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

What stresses your kid?

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:05 am

What stresses your kid?

Homework? Tuition? Enrichment classes? Parents (ourselves)?

I know of some parents who bring their children for counselling for stress, some children have mental breakdown. I hope to start this discussion so that we parents can look at what actually stresses our kid. Different children are different.

DD1 - homework, exams
DD2 - homework

I think homework is a killer as after an almost whole day at school, come home at 3.30pm if no CCA and 6pm after CCA, kids still have to do /project till about 9pm (on a good day) and 11.30pm on a bad day. My kids have to wake up at 5.45am. Hence life for kids in Singapore are "School, (CCA), homework".

Some kids, "School, CCA/remedial, tuition, tuition, homework"

I remember when I was younger, life is "School, CCA (maybe), homework (sometimes), play, watch TV, play,"

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: What stresses your kid?

Postby ammonite » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:23 am

definitely homework. Stresses ME out too!! I was just thinking last night that his primary school is like my secondary school!! And it's a neighborhood school!

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:44 am

If there's any stress at all, it's definately from me :oops:
I find her school pretty balanced (when compared to comments made by other parents of their dc' school). P made a comment during a parents' briefing : pls dun start sending your dc to tuition just becos they cannot get Band 1 or meet higher MTL criteria. I like this P.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lim72 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:28 am

My ds got freaked out when he needs to do show & tell or presentation, whether in English or Mandarin. He even had nightmares. He is very shy in front of crowds and I have to reassure him many times. And it only gets worse as he moved up the level. I remember he was quite at ease when he was in lower primary.

lim72
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:54 am

Son get stress whenever his team mate arrow him to do last minute work. He gets very angry when he usually does his portion ahead of schedule but the day before date line, things crop up like team member didn't do their portion, or ask him to change his etc. So group work with such members gives him stress.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:44 am

Poor kids :(

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby BeContented » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:53 am

Sooooooo many things can stress but different intensity probably.
But I think they are most stressed when we parents are...... :wink:

DS - hardly stressed over exam/Sch work. I find him more jumpy when he things cannot be completed on time. He gets worked up over lateness etc.

DD - stressed when she cannot complete her schoolwork & when she has to wait for her food. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:23 am

Homework, definitely! But not homework per se.
My girl will be very stressed when she sees a pile of HW. It's not that she can't do...most of the time she stressed by not being able to finish them FAST!! And the more she stress, the slower she is coz she cannot think properly!!

*SIGH*

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mawar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:40 am

My kid gets stressed out when she forgets to bring a storybook or packed the wrong language storybook for silent reading. When she realizes her mistake and the school bus is arriving in a matter of minutes, I can literally see STRESS on her forehead. She has never been punished but she has seen others being punished. The fear is greater than the deed.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:41 am

Nothing or well-hidden. So does that stress you as a parent?

Next

Return to Working With Your Child