Odyssey of Mind

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Odyssey of Mind

Postby ruohoo97 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:47 am

DS in p2 is asked to take part in Odyssey of Mind. I know it very time consuming, and need lots of commitment from parents. Any experienced parents have prior experience on OM?

Thanks

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Odyssey of Mind

Postby straffan23 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 pm

I personally have little clue what it is... But I do know of my ex-boss' kid who was involved with OM. In the last 6 years, from P3(?) to Sec 3, he has travelled to US every year for the World Finals. They seem to have done well enough to be in the World Finals and I think for many years emerged as Top 3? What I do know is that the exposure is great, and the spirit of teamwork is also great.

Btw, this boy is probably one of the top kid in the cohort... so seems like OM not just didn't affect his studies, but perhaps even offered him an advantage! Maybe not directly, but if you are really interested in OM you gotta make sure that you do your studies really well and fast. Then you have time for OM, right? Oh, it also made him the most hands-on boy I know! Chain saw, screws, wires, bolts, nuts, sandpaper... you name it!

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ruohoo97 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:48 am

straffan23 wrote:I personally have little clue what it is... But I do know of my ex-boss' kid who was involved with OM. In the last 6 years, from P3(?) to Sec 3, he has travelled to US every year for the World Finals. They seem to have done well enough to be in the World Finals and I think for many years emerged as Top 3? What I do know is that the exposure is great, and the spirit of teamwork is also great.

Btw, this boy is probably one of the top kid in the cohort... so seems like OM not just didn't affect his studies, but perhaps even offered him an advantage! Maybe not directly, but if you are really interested in OM you gotta make sure that you do your studies really well and fast. Then you have time for OM, right? Oh, it also made him the most hands-on boy I know! Chain saw, screws, wires, bolts, nuts, sandpaper... you name it!

Thanks straffan23, I also heard a lot of good things of being involved in OM. It also requires a lot of parenting involvements, such as being a team manager, be creative director and coaching so on. That is what worries me.

In the past years, OM teams were formed by the interested parents with their kids, but this year, DS's school decides to have audition to choose kids first.

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby alng » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 am

Hi ruohoo97,

My dd was involved in OM when she was in P4 2 years ago. I was the volunteered coach for her team. Like straffan23 has written, the kids get a lot of exposure and they learn to work in teams and be independent and creative. They also learn to think and react on the spot.

However, this competition is very time consuming and will last for a few months. When it gets nearer to the competition, the preparation work can get very intensive - like a few times a week. Parents and kids must be committed to OM.

straffan23, is your ex-boss' son from ACS/ACSI? ACS family is the champion for OM.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ruohoo97 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:12 am

My DS2 participated DI when he was in P4, that was required by school for his class. But good things was teachers were team managers, parents did not have to involve much. I knew it was so time consuming, they had to rehearse at least two times a week when neared to competition date.

But for OM, especially for P2, parents are required to be team managers. I don't know whether I am qualified :nailbite:

ruohoo97
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby alng » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Not to worry. The skills trainings are usually conducted by trained coaches.

As a team manager to a P2 team, you just need to hand hold them a little bit more. Guide them to set their targets, timeline and get things organised. Keep them in focus of the task if they get too carried away. Motivate them. When making props, you may need to be more hands-on etc. Should be fine if you can afford the time. Can be quite fun.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mamago » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:46 pm

My DS did OM twice, his team won both years' Spore Finals, and went on to the World Final in USA, and won 1st and 2nd place for both years.

Personally I think it's really time consuming, the one week before the Spore Finals, kids pulled long hours til dinner time. Time management and parents' support is important.

The World Finals' closing ceremony were good eye-opener. Spectacular! Held in some huge indoor stadiums and the attendance were overwhelmed.

Representative teams from 66 nations, as young as pre-school age to Uni students competing in different category.

Personally I think it's well worth it.

mamago
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:00 pm

mamago, your son did OM in primary school? I'm guessing he must be from ACS. ACS is really good in OM and the parental involvement is strong. You went with him to the US for the World Finals?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mamago » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:39 pm

jtoh wrote:mamago, your son did OM in primary school? I'm guessing he must be from ACS. ACS is really good in OM and the parental involvement is strong. You went with him to the US for the World Finals?

Haha, busted!

Yes, my boy is ACSian... we went to USA twice for the World Finals... with other ACSs and MGS teams, half of the passengers on board that 2 SQ flights were "the Methodists" (LOL..)

Had great fun, thou the late May were super hot summer in the USA East Coast...

mamago
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:26 pm

mamago wrote:
jtoh wrote:mamago, your son did OM in primary school? I'm guessing he must be from ACS. ACS is really good in OM and the parental involvement is strong. You went with him to the US for the World Finals?

Haha, busted!

Yes, my boy is ACSian... we went to USA twice for the World Finals... with other ACSs and MGS teams, half of the passengers on board that 2 SQ flights were "the Methodists" (LOL..)

Had great fun, thou the late May were super hot summer in the USA East Coast...

:) This is your P6 boy? Guess he'll probably continue with the tradition in secondary school?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child