unreasonable demand of parents

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

unreasonable demand of parents

Postby karenmok » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 pm

What precisely is an unreasonable demand of a parent? Where does one draw a line between reasonable and unreasonable?

karenmok
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: unreasonable demand of parents

Postby Yong HL » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Hmm.. Forcing a kid to score beyond his/her capability?

Yong HL
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:17 am

It depends on the child's abilities and capacity. If the child is trying hard already, is getting stressed by the demands, and time is being taken away from other useful activities, then parents should ease off. Of course, parents can try other methods to help the child achieve the standards - teaching in other ways, breaking down into small steps, giving more time to master the skills etc. Age-related standards (eg. a 5yo should be able to...) can be useful as a guide, but should not be used too strictly.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:35 am

karenmok wrote:What precisely is an unreasonable demand of a parent? Where does one draw a line between reasonable and unreasonable?

you mean to who?
unreasonable to child
or unreasonable to teacher?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasumummy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:02 pm

unreasonable parent to always smiling teacher... who wants to listen??

read on...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:17 pm

sorry accidently pressed submit button..

was in my dd's tuition center few nights ago.. it was like 10pm or so.. i went there to pay sch fees as was waiting for my dh nearby...

this parent came pressing the doorbell, and the kind teacher go and open.. the minute she open the door, the parent say :

parent :"what kind of school is this? i've been calling calling and calling so many times but no one just want to answer!!!" (at a very angry tone)
teacher :"sorry but we did not receive any calls of yours.." (softly)
parent :"this is the number i called, i called many times ok!!" (showing the teacher her phone)
teacher :"oh that's not our number, the last digit is wrong. so sorry.."

parent gave a disgusted look and came in.. i was on the way to the washroom after hearing them, but i can still hear them clearly in the toilet!!

parent :"i want to call to ask about your schedule, what is your timing like?" (loud voice)
teacher :"oh for mon, the timing is.... .... " (couldnt hear exactly)
parent :"huh? 3 timing only ah? so not flexible one ah? can change anot? my daughter come home still need to eat, bathe, do homework!!" (loud voice)
teacher :"i'm sorry, but the current year is coming to an end, i may not be able to change as not all parents may agree. but if u are keen in any particular subject, u can let me know and i can check with the other parents.."
parent :"what? change time still need all other parents approve one ah? so not flexible one ah? i cannot make it how? can u just tell me what other timing can? i cant make it on mon, so rush, why the timing only got mon, wed, fri? tues can anot thurs leh?"

i was out of the washroom already, but did not walk out to the recep area to meet that parent, just listening behind.

teacher :"its ok, u can go back and consider and let me know which subject u r keen and i will do my best to check with other parents. so sorry to make u come up so late. u can always call my number on the brochure to check again. thk u so much..."

it was till the parent went off that i came out.. i told the teacher, this parent is a heavy smoker, can smell the cigarette in the whole recep area.. she just smiled as usual and did not make any remarks... after that she gave me back my change and receipt and she smiled as i went off...

is this unreasonable parent?? nothing happen, nobody scold her and she shout like mad...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:41 pm

I would think this is a demanding parent. Although this incident suggests that she can be unreasonable, I think I would describe her as demanding.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:59 pm

most parents are demanding in a certain way... but this parent is unreasonable.. i could hear her from so far... bet the teacher had a hard time..

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:26 pm

verykiasumummy wrote:most parents are demanding in a certain way... but this parent is unreasonable.. i could hear her from so far... bet the teacher had a hard time..

May be she is a loud speaker not purposely shouts at the Teacher? My sister speaks very loudly too as my mum is half deaf so over time, she is use to speaking very loudly without realizing it. :sweat:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:30 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:
verykiasumummy wrote:most parents are demanding in a certain way... but this parent is unreasonable.. i could hear her from so far... bet the teacher had a hard time..

May be she is a loud speaker not purposely shouts at the Teacher? My sister speaks very loudly too as my mum is half deaf so over time, she is use to speaking very loudly without realizing it. :sweat:

yup agree with that...

dunno... if its my own family member i would hv reminded her not to speak so loud too... scare ppl away...

haha, if the teacher were to speak loudly, u think its rude liao right??

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child