Will you inform friends & relatives for short hospital stay?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Will you inform friends & relatives for short hospital stay?

Postby mel2sg » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Last week, my girl (11 years old) was warded in KKH hospital due to prolong viral fever. She stayed there for 3 days. My wife & me are private person, so we do not usually inform anybody (including close relatives). Furthermore, we do not like to inconvenience people.

Apparently, my girl got to know the girl (15 years old) beside her, who was warded for something similar. She got so many friends & relatives visited her, and needless to say the presents, baloon and soft toys. Therefore, I suppose is very normal for my girl to ask how come she got no visitor. I am not sure whether we are doing the right thing on this, I would appreciate your view on this matter. Thanks.

mel2sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Will you inform friends & relatives for short hospital s

Postby Brownbear » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:07 pm

No I won't inform anyone as it was only a short term stay in the hospital. I won't like to cause all the unnecessary panic and worries of all the friends and relatives. Besides, visitors will deprive the rest of the sick one.

I wish yr girl to have speedy recovery! :rahrah:

Brownbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Imami » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:09 pm

No right or wrong, it is personally choice. But perhaps u can explain to your girl on this matter? I am not sure about her but I would hv felt something if being asked why I didn't hv visitors. At 15, I don't think I have the maturity to handle this.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:24 pm

No right or wrong. I would have kept quiet also. Just that the really close ones would know because of the close and constant contact.

But yes, it can be tiring to entertain visitors, I would rather have peace and quiet and get outta hospital earlier.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Neosan60 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:03 pm

largely depends on the nature of your child. u can also tell her she will get relatives' and friends' visits at your home instead when she gets better and discharges from hospital.

Neosan60
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby janet88 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:34 pm

When my son was hospitalized for his cleft lip, palate operations, we kept low profile bcos he was just a baby and didn't want visitors. Doctor explained that his very young age is susceptible to germs.
2 years ago when he was 10, he had bone graft op. Kept quiet again bcos son was conscious of his swollen lips and refused to see anyone. Had to respect his wishes bcos he was in pain too.

After he was discharged, he still refused to see anyone other than my parents.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child