Complete loss on helping a p5 special need boy

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Complete loss on helping a p5 special need boy

Postby yxl » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Dear Parent

I wonder if anyone had came across situation like what I am facing now.
My boy P5 this year had never pass his exam & is not motivated to study(despite the full support given at home) He is a child who suffer from visual processing disorder & find studying very stress.

I am a fulll time mother who work with him closely but it seem like our relationship get worse as he grow. He think that I am evil, cruel by pushing him to study everytime. To him all the therapy is useless. He just refuse to cooperate and put in the little bit of extra effort to overcome his difficulties.

I am relly at a loss what to do with him. Pls help Thanks

yxl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Complete loss on helping a p5 special need boy

Postby verykiasumummy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:40 pm

hi yxl, my heart goes out to u... i can imagine how hard u will be facing ur ds when he actually doesnt appreciate...

no doubt that having any forms of disorder will deter his interest in studying.. parents should not be pushing too hard, need to get a balance somewhere... u should know what he likes and in terms of having to study for 1hr, have a 10min break for him to relax before continuing..

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:43 pm

get him on something he likes to eat or play... for eg if he likes badminton very much, allocate some time to let him play while not studying... maintaining your relationship with him is as impt as well... dun kill his love for u just because u wanted him well but he doesnt understand...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:24 pm

What kinds of support have you provided? Have you tried giving him the info in other forms or helping him learn through other means instead? Or letting him have frequent breaks? If he is resisting, it could be that he really finds it too difficult cope now that there is much more reading involved in normal schoolwork. Does he get special help in school? He may be exhausted if he has a lot to process visually at school.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasumummy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:37 pm

he could be developing some rebellious feelings towards u or are there any bad influence from sch???

maybe ur dh or any other relative could talk to him to find out more about it... he certainly needs help and any delay will not make him any better...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Yxl, my son had vision processing issues. He is coping ok for now, by my standard. The thing I realised was that he had missed out on the foundational years in the years when he was struggling visually. I spent time rebuilding the foundation, looking for gaps or basic misunderstandings of certain things. You may want to consider if this was the case.

Which area of vision processing is your son having trouble with and what therapy is he undergoing now? How long has he been undergoing therapy? If he feels it is useless, I would be very interested to know why he thinks so. He may be right you know. After all we are only bystanders and won't know how it is for him.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby levite612 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:27 am

Hi,
You could check out bal-a-vis-x. There's a youtube video on it. It's basically playing with racquetballs. Strengthens the eye muscles and trains eye to track efficiently. There are 2 parties teaching it in Sg; BrainWaves Educational Kinesiology and Steady Steps. It's worked wonders for my kid.

levite612
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby yxl » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:25 am

Thanks everyone.
He is struggling when come to study or learning involve coordination.
Frequent break was given but he is very resistant whenever come to sitting to do work. Have sent him to Singapore brain,orthovision for eye training, currently at AWWA for some eye tracking & coordination therapy. As support in school, teacher had taken note of his condition & assign him a buddy to remind him of his work.

yxl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 am

yxl wrote:Thanks everyone.
Frequent break was given but he is very resistant whenever come to sitting to do work. Have sent him to Singapore brain,orthovision for eye training, currently at AWWA for some eye tracking & coordination therapy. As support in school, teacher had taken note of his condition & assign him a buddy to remind him of his work.

But besides reminders to stay focused, would it be possible to give him info by audio means, bigger print, "everything on 1 sheet of paper" etc to make it easier on him? And can he pinpoint what exactly makes it easier/harder for him? If he can be more specific, there may be ways to help.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:24 am

yxl wrote:Thanks everyone.

The issues of (1) Special Needs Learning and (2) Motivation are separate. Special needs kids by and large, respond to the same motivation strategies. Your problem does not seem to be Special Needs learning since he has professional therapy to help him in that area.

Anyway, I dun think I can help advise on Special Needs Learning because I know that area very superficially only... but I can help with the bit on motivation.

I am reading that his resistance to getting work done interferes with the effectiveness of the cognitive therapy he receives. This resistance to work MAY be resolved through some simple to understand but hard to implement motivation strategies. The same write up I wrote a while back to help a Mom whose child REFUSED to study may help you...

Post 1: http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 29#p775829
Post 2: http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 43#p775943
Post 3: http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 58#p776158

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child