need ideas to handle sticky situations.

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

need ideas to handle sticky situations.

Postby SBKS » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:53 am

Hi all, sorry if i post at the wrong place but i look thru the entire forum and this topic seems to be the closest to my question.

as we are dual-income family and have 2 DD, aged 2 and 4, we sometimes have to handle the 2 kids single-handedly. aka without the other parent around.

So when either of us bring them to have meals outside, and they wants to go to the toilet (for the age 4), we cant let her go by herself or we go with her as the age 2 is still eating and we are still eating.

elder DD is toilet train but younger DD is not. other than using the last resort to let elder DD wear diapers when we go have meals, or to empty bladder before we go down, is there anything else we can do to handle that sticky situation?
(empty bladder no use as stomachache is another matter altogether)

Come to think of it, do we have a sticky for a thread meant for such sticky situations? :idea:

SBKS
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: need ideas to handle sticky situations.

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:28 am

In that situation, I would bring both kids with me, even if it means interrupting the meal. For the part-finished food, you could ask someone else nearby to keep it from being cleared away. Usually, when my kids were young, I would insist on a toilet visit before a meal to avoid that kind of situation.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby straffan23 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:20 pm

I can SOOOO identify with the kind of sticky situation and drama mentioned. Yes, taking them to the toilet before mealtime is not much help because there is that additional "mama, I need to pass motion!" part of it, too!

I find that I cannot avoid it altogether, but these are some of the things I do to minimise:
1. We dined at home a lot more than eating outside. Sometimes, we'd settle for cheese and ham sandwiches, or pizzas - something simple and the elder one can 'help'.
2. Have a routine for doing big business. E.g. in the mornings. So it becomes more "predictable"... although, sometimes, there's extra business!
3. Toiletting before mealtime.

When someone has to go, for security, always bring both along. Easier if dining at restaurant so the waitress can help to keep a lookout at the food/stuff. If you are at the foodcourt, then it depends on your luck whether the people nearby looks like someone you can ask to keep a lookout for your food.

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SBKS » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:37 pm

thanks for the replies.

I guess the only solution now is to give up on the food or eat at home.

anyone else has any sticky situation that needs help on? :smile:

SBKS
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby josephine_ng » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm not sure if this sounds weird but what a friend of mine did was to have this paper-made stand with "Please do not clear. Will be back" written on it. Be prepared to have stares when you come back.

josephine_ng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasumummy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:07 pm

if u r alone handling the kids, i would suggest take-away or call for delivery... it is very difficult to predict what kind of situation could happen... avoid at all costs to dine with the kids alone...

or if such a thing cannot be avoided, take a seat near the toilet, or go to a cafe or restaurant for meals... in any case that no one is looking after ur dd (either or), bring them along to the toilet... this is just to play safe... u nv know even this is sg...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby josephine_ng » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:56 pm

For that friend, that "stand" helps in her NTUC trolley, popular basket and all that as well.. Not sure if it's a good idea..

josephine_ng
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasumummy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:00 pm

josephine_ng wrote:For that friend, that "stand" helps in her NTUC trolley, popular basket and all that as well.. Not sure if it's a good idea..

this is very singaporean way of choping ur things... like how tissue pack chope seats in foodcourts...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SBKS » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:21 pm

josephine_ng wrote:I'm not sure if this sounds weird but what a friend of mine did was to have this paper-made stand with "Please do not clear. Will be back" written on it. Be prepared to have stares when you come back.

hmmmm that is another good idea...

verykiasumummy wrote:if u r alone handling the kids, i would suggest take-away or call for delivery... it is very difficult to predict what kind of situation could happen... avoid at all costs to dine with the kids alone...

or if such a thing cannot be avoided, take a seat near the toilet, or go to a cafe or restaurant for meals... in any case that no one is looking after ur dd (either or), bring them along to the toilet... this is just to play safe... u nv know even this is sg...

thanks.

if i go takeaway, also 1 person, so still gt to bring them down to takeaway, so i thinking might as well eat there. leaving them at home is a no no at this stage as fighting will ensue....

sit near :imconstipated: will get extra ingredients in the food. :siam:

i eat at coffeeshop below my block.

Yes, bringing along to the toilet means they will not have enuff to eat and then since most of the times, after my elder DD "release", she will feel hungry again. :sweat:

Thus my sticky situation.

unless if that happen, bring them all to toilet, then if still hungry, tabao bread for them. :scared:

SBKS
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby verykiasumummy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:26 pm

SBKS wrote:
verykiasumummy wrote:if u r alone handling the kids, i would suggest take-away or call for delivery... it is very difficult to predict what kind of situation could happen... avoid at all costs to dine with the kids alone...

thanks.

if i go takeaway, also 1 person, so still gt to bring them down to takeaway, so i thinking might as well eat there. leaving them at home is a no no at this stage as fighting will ensue....

sit near :imconstipated: will get extra ingredients in the food. :siam:

i eat at coffeeshop below my block.

Yes, bringing along to the toilet means they will not have enuff to eat and then since most of the times, after my elder DD "release", she will feel hungry again. :sweat:

Thus my sticky situation.

unless if that happen, bring them all to toilet, then if still hungry, tabao bread for them. :scared:

after going toilet and hungry again? so fast?? u may want to consult doc on that... shouldnt get hungry so fast again...

if needed, tcm could help too...

verykiasumummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child