Help boy be more motivated to study

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Help boy be more motivated to study

Postby garytan.user » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:08 am

Hi all

My boy studies quite hard every night and does homework, etc.

It also comes down to being responsible and having a "sense of excellence" to do well - we feel he lacks this sometimes.

But we get a sense he could do better by being more motivated and learning study techniques. The problem is my wife and I can't find the time to help coach him there - any suggestions on what to do?

Thank you.

garytan.user
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Help boy be more motivated to study

Postby meinteel » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:22 pm

garytan.user wrote:Hi all

My boy studies quite hard every night and does homework, etc.

It also comes down to being responsible and having a "sense of excellence" to do well - we feel he lacks this sometimes.

But we get a sense he could do better by being more motivated and learning study techniques. The problem is my wife and I can't find the time to help coach him there - any suggestions on what to do?

Thank you.

Sorry, Im not being mean or anything but if your child studies "quite hard every night" I think he is motivated enough already. Few students nowadays study consistently. A good percentage of parents even have difficulty getting their children to just finish the homework - let alone revise.

Try to talk to your child and/or his teachers to find out the root problem. Could it be that the current studying method is not effective for him? Try some other methods of learning rather then just reading and practising. Could it be that he doesnt anything what is being taught in school? Maybe he needs additional help from the teachers after school or you should engage a tutor.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Skyed » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:07 pm

Like that you want your child to be more motivated... I think if I were your child you long ago would have had an aneurysm already..

He's already very motivated imo. I don't even study ever, except like 1 day before exams lol.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby wendychooi1975 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:36 pm

My DS dont even want to study without me... : (

wendychooi1975
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby AdonciaTang » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:11 am

He is so motivated already!

AdonciaTang
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Cherry Lee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:03 pm

You could get him proper self learning books or send him for classes that has motivating tutors to boost his interest and confidence if both of you do not have time to teach.

Cherry Lee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sundaymorning » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:20 am

I think he is working hard enough but if you would like to achieve excellence,
perhaps you should gear towards enrichment classes to build up his passion with studies and making it more interesting and engaging.

sundaymorning
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Kenzieee » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Maybe he needs more help on learning in a more effective manner??
Often, there are many shorter-cuts and alterative methods to solve a problem (eg. maths). Engaging a tutor might help a lot if the issue/problem lies here.

Maybe you and your wife could spend more time talking/motivating him on the issue about improving his results is not just for the sake for exams; it's going to help him in his life. Or talking to him about life, i.e. the different perspectives of looking at things.

Kenzieee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Dino-Craze » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:20 pm

sundaymorning wrote:I think he is working hard enough but if you would like to achieve excellence,
perhaps you should gear towards enrichment classes to build up his passion with studies and making it more interesting and engaging.

I agree with Sundaymorning; i think your boy is hard-working already considering
(1) he is a boy! (most boys are generally active) and
(2) he does his homework, has sense of responsibility.

If you mean you feel he has the potential to excel what he is getting now (in grades) then i agree you, the parents, should do some research to enrol him in appropriate enrichment classes to 'fuel' him up.

Meanwhile, just remember to continue to praise and encourage him - i think he is doing a good job already!

Dino-Craze
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby KimMills » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:17 am

I would agree with everyone here, your son is already very motivated and he wants to study, do his homework, stay up late at night to finish his study- now what else is left. Anyways, if you feel that he is working hard is not getting satisfactory results as per his hard work then get him a tutor who would guide him in the right direction. Also talk to your son if he is facing any difficulty in any particular subject and he wants assistance to cope with it.

KimMills
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child