Handling Timid child

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Handling Timid child

Postby bbforest » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Dear parent,

My son is very timid, sometimes when he watched a tv program, if he see something which he is scare, he will ask me to switch off the TV, or there is once where he see this particular picture cards book, he will refuse to read and ask me to keep. Do any parent have any advice or why I can improve his behaviour?

:(

bbforest
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Fettuccine » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:04 am

How old is your son? My K2 son was timid too when younger, but he is now ok and dare to watch Lord of the Ring series on TV. I think its just a phase...preschoolers can be imaginative at this stage...

Anyway, bring your kid out to zoo, swimming, cycling, science center, or even shopping, etc. He should be generally ok if he has no problems with learning/socializing with his friends or in school... :)

Fettuccine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby bbforest » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:31 am

He is now 3 1/2 yrs old. He like shopping, but if we happen to pass by any moving object like merry go round at some shopping mall or coin- operated machine cars, he will be scare. He don't allow me to walk near to it.

bbforest
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:03 am

bbforest wrote:He is now 3 1/2 yrs old. He like shopping, but if we happen to pass by any moving object like merry go round at some shopping mall or coin- operated machine cars, he will be scare. He don't allow me to walk near to it.

It's a phase which kids will grow out of. My daughter used to be scared by the most harmless cartoon characters (eg. cuddly penguin, polar bear, etc) up to 2 years old, but now I couldn't get her off Disney channel with the more scary cartoon characters in things like Scooby Doo, etc.

She got frightened by the big chubby robotic things that walked around during the World Book Fair last month... but I'm sure if I had brought her to Disneyland or Warner Brothers, she will quickly rid herself of that fear too.

Just take her out for walks or shopping as much as you can. No need to spend money for that (except if you actually buy things from shopping, of course).

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ZacK » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:32 pm

bbforest wrote:He is now 3 1/2 yrs old. He like shopping, but if we happen to pass by any moving object like merry go round at some shopping mall or coin- operated machine cars, he will be scare. He don't allow me to walk near to it.

My boy is 4.5 now... He is still timid compared with some of the other kids I've seen... But definitely a lot better now... So I would say that it's a passing phase for your little one.

Mine used to be even afraid of mannequins on display when he was younger and I remembered once there was a life sized horse and carriage on display during one xmas... He just freaked out and started screaming and clinging onto me tightly... My wife and I were embarrassed of cos :oops:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bbforest » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Thanks for all your sharing, now i try to bring him out more often, parks and play ground. Hope that it will help to build up his curiosity and courage to play with the children. :)

bbforest
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kiasimom » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:57 am

My DS is probably the most timid boy.
He is scared of practically everything!
Darkness, cockroaches, cats, dogs, insects...etc

Haiz, hope he can be braver!

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autumnbronze » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:42 pm

bbforest wrote:Thanks for all your sharing, now i try to bring him out more often, parks and play ground. Hope that it will help to build up his curiosity and courage to play with the children. :)

Hi bbforest,

Yup, I am sure that will help.

I do think its a phase too.

My son is almost 2 and a half and he is what my DH term as a cautious boy, but it bothered me cuz my ILs are v v overprotective about him. They don't let him run ard so much, are constantly hovering ard him etc..(guess thats what grdparents do :D) and he was always hesitant to try out things eg the slide at the playgrd. He was also using the word "scared" alot too whenever he was reluctant to try out stuff.

I decided to sign him up for gym then. Its been 3 mths plus and there's an improvement. Initially - "scared" - quoting him :lol:, to try out stuff like the monkey bar or the balancing bar, he has become more receptive.

I guess for my DS's case, perhaps he was going thru a phase, but it didn't help that ILs were compounding the matter instead of encouraging him to be more adventurous (of course with limits lah). Hence, my 'rectifying' action. He is still cautious, but there seems to be more of a balance in him. For example, today, while walking on the road, he asked my DH to carry him as the staircase we were going to walk down was "steep" and "dangerous" in his own words :lol:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Mum_2Gals » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi bbforest,

My N1 is also very timid "at times". When we went to Disneyland, she's really afraid of the Disney characters. Most children will rush up to take photos, but she just cried and struggled to get away :stupid: My K1 used to be afraid too, now she's ok with taking photos together with those cartoon characters but she can be very timid at playgrounds. I need to hold on to her when she climbs up ladders, and 'catch" her at the bottom of the slide. :oops: My N1 is super brave when playing at playgrounds, climbing up ladders and going down slides on her own. :?

Mum_2Gals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby coolit » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Kiasimum,

Sounds very familiar but sometimes I ask myself how to raise kids who are fearless when I am so scared of lizards, cockroaches and all creepy crawly stuff myself, I will scream like a hyena when I see one..

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child