Do you let your child go to/from school on their own?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

What age should your child be before he/she is allowed to travel by themselves between home and school?

Primary 1
No votes
Primary 2
8%
Primary 3
24%
Primary 4
32%
Primary 5
13%
Primary 6 and beyond
24%

Total votes : 38

Do you let your child go to/from school on their own?

Postby super_dad » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:11 pm

When do you guys think that you will let your kid go back from school on their own? Actually, my girl's school is pretty near to my home. But till now, I don't feel safe to let her rough out with public transport. So many news about children being knocked down by cars and lorries...quite unsafe.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dragonball » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:46 pm

There is this primary school that is just next to my block. So I may be sending my kid there. Since it is so near, I suppose I can let him go to school alone when he is primary 2. But if it is farther, then it is a hard choice, I suppose primary 4 should be good to be independent enough

dragonball
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:59 pm

dragonball wrote:There is this primary school that is just next to my block. So I may be sending my kid there. Since it is so near, I suppose I can let him go to school alone when he is primary 2. But if it is farther, then it is a hard choice, I suppose primary 4 should be good to be independent enough

My son's school is just across the road... but because there is no adult supervision, we had to make him take the schoolbus even up to Primary 2, just to ferry him across the road.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:35 am

I am comtemplating whether to let my girl learn to bus on her own. But school is quite a distance from home, and at this time, not all that confident yet. But school buses quite expensive these days.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:22 pm

super_dad wrote:I am comtemplating whether to let my girl learn to bus on her own. But school is quite a distance from home, and at this time, not all that confident yet. But school buses quite expensive these days.

Nowadays everything expensive lah... just a couple of days back, it was in the news that taxi drivers are now soliciting for passengers instead of passengers looking for taxis... some cabbies even claim business has dropped by 50% after the fare hike. My thoughts are things will go back to normal after a couple of months and people forget about the cost.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby dragonball » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:43 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:Nowadays everything expensive lah... just a couple of days back, it was in the news that taxi drivers are now soliciting for passengers instead of passengers looking for taxis... some cabbies even claim business has dropped by 50% after the fare hike. My thoughts are things will go back to normal after a couple of months and people forget about the cost.

Wow, I don't suppose you let your kid take cab to school? They will be safer than taking bus :D

The taxi fare hike is quite ridiculous, 35% surcharge during peak hours, I am not taking cab during peak hours for a while.

dragonball
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby titank » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:16 pm

Hi All,

If you have a car, then try to ferry then to & fro from school which is the best option.

If not then it would be school bus. But sch bus fee keep on increasing, very fustrated even during school holiday also must pay school fees. (Jun & Dec). In additon, if the child is in the moring session, sometime like 6.20am have to wait for the school bus.

Therefore availability of public transport is rather impostant. At least they take SBS Buses is much cheaper comapre on pte cars driving & also using school buses.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phantom » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:05 pm

I recently met a little girl on a bus while she is on her way to school. She is only in primary 2 and she travel to school by herself on public buses. I was quite amazed, because I don't usually see such a small kid travel on public transport by themselves.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:03 am

New poll created.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby EN » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:34 am

I drive both of my kids to & from school every day. My daughter is about 20 minutes away from home & my son is less than 5 minutes drive. I intend to have my daughter to take public bus next year if she has ECA to attend in the afternoon. She will be in P4 by then. My son, although it is very near, I will still be fetching & sending him until he is P6. I just dont want him to be recruited by bad company. Not sure if things like that are still prevalent. I know during my growing up year, it is quite common. Now not very sure but it pays to be safe than sorry.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child