What do you call your children? (Nicknames and lovenames)

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

What do you call your children? (Nicknames and lovenames)

Postby Andaiz » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:55 am

DD3 came to me this morning as asked me NOT to call her "baby" anymore. So when I asked her what affectionate name I should call her...she immediately said "I'm your precious gift from God right? Then call me precious loh!" :shock: (I know, I know, I need to work on the "loh")

Just wanted to find out what you call your kids?

For me DD1 is "sweetheart"; DD2 is "darling" and DD3 is "precious".
DH of course is my "dearie".

When I was young, we were called "sisi" and "didi" after our names. Not sure if anyone had an "ah pui" nickname...my sis calls me "gigi poing" coz I've ballooned so much :love:

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Luanee » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:43 am

My elder one (7 yo) is 'sweetie-pie' and younger one (2 yo) is 'cutie-pie', hee... Or sometimes just jie-jie and mei-mei, or darling, sweetheart etc...

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:46 am

When DD was younger, she said that since mommy and daddy call each other "darling", then she deserves a pet name too. So daddy suggested "darling" too but DD said that mommy was already "darling" and insisted on having another one. After rejecting a few from daddy, DD finally settled on "sweetheart". Mommy's brain cells were almost fried already since she had rejected quite a number of the "more common" ones from daddy. In the end, she accepted "little snake". However, from time to time, her antics have earned her another nickname, "siao char bor". :lol:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kwcllf » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:07 am

Big one call Big Darling. Small one call Little Darling.

In return, they call mommy "Mommy Darling" and Daddy "Old Darling"....hmmmmmm

kwcllf
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby 3greatkids » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:24 pm

A few years ago, when it was my first daughter, being the only baby in the family, she was mummy's "darling", papa's "baobei, aunty's "precious" and grandparents"乖孙".

After 2 brothers now...... she's still mummy's "darlings" along with her brothers but generally "jie jie" to everyone else, haha

3greatkids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby EN » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:37 am

Call ds "sweetheart" or "mummy's darling handsome boy". Behind him, me and dh term him as the "naggy boy"
Call dd "pumpkin" or "pretty". Behind her, we call her "royal highness" cause everything she will wait for us to do.

My parents gave nickname to both me and my sister. My father still uses it till this day. It's extremely embarrassing sometime if the nickname is said out loud in public to hear. He has gotten scolding from mum but I guess since he is so use to using our nickname, he still use it.

So...for us parents, be sure to get a nice nickname for your child, cause the name tend to stick until they grow into big adults.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:05 am

EN wrote:My parents gave nickname to both me and my sister. My father still uses it till this day. It's extremely embarrassing sometime if the nickname is said out loud in public to hear. He has gotten scolding from mum but I guess since he is so use to using our nickname, he still use it.

So...for us parents, be sure to get a nice nickname for your child, cause the name tend to stick until they grow into big adults.

Thank goodness our parents only called me and my sis 大的 (Big One) and 小的 (Small One).

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MLR » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:23 am

DS is bu-bu to us. It started when he was about 3 months old and started making gurggling sounds and he could bu-bu-bu whole day long.

A deviation here, do you hv got neighbors or family that goes by nicks too, like 5th floor big mole aunite, cookey eye uncle from mum's side of family, the smelly hair cousin from dad's side of family... :wink:

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby EN » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:54 am

A deviation here, do you hv got neighbors or family that goes by nicks too, like 5th floor big mole aunite, cookey eye uncle from mum's side of family, the smelly hair cousin from dad's side of family

Oh dear yes! It is my kids that gave nick names to cousins, uncle and grandmother. The farnie one is Uncle Lion and the grandmother the Rockers :siam: .

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FMz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:09 pm

#1 - 大宝贝
#2 - 小宝贝
wifey - Mummy/老宝贝

FMz
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child