$$ well spent for attending preschool

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

$$ well spent for attending preschool

Postby JazN » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:47 am

dear mummies & daddies,

how do u gauge if the $$ spent on preschool is worthwhile for your child?

My child is attending a full day preschool and I am starting to wonder if the $$$ spent equates to my child learning more things than at home, beside myself not being an art person.

Her preschool is teaching letterland reciting some alphabets like a=apple for eg either is forgotten or know but don't want to say out.

I know my child remembers if i self taught basic spelling and eg e=egg.

Will appreciate any parents'"input :)

Thks lots!!!

JazN
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: $$ well spent for attending preschool

Postby Little Pudding » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:11 pm

I feel attending pre school is not just about learning but can also be a good opportunity for your child to interact with other kids :)

Perhaps you can buy those spelling puzzle cards from toyrus to aid for spelling.

Little Pudding
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cherrygal » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Yah, agree with Little Pudding about the social interaction part.

You can take her out of school and teach her yourself if you are a really patient and passionate teacher or are trained in childhood education.

It's not easy handling the kid 24 hours a day (coz you are mom AND teacher) and have to engage the kid meaningfully. That's why most kids who stay at home tend to watch lots of TV or spend hours on the iPad. I would rather they do something constructive at the preschool.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JazN » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Thks for the input! Was thinking for the amount paid for preschool whether my child is learning anything & progressing. Nope not a teacher, just a mum & @ least coaching her a bit I noe she's learning something

Sigh

JazN
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cherrygal » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:41 pm

If you don't think she's learning much, then change her school. You could be putting her in an expensive brand-name school with teachers who are inexperienced. Best is to find a place where the teachers stay in their jobs. I think it's more important to get good teachers than to have an expensive-sounding school name.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bupashu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:48 pm

JazN wrote:Thks for the input! Was thinking for the amount paid for preschool whether my child is learning anything & progressing. Nope not a teacher, just a mum & @ least coaching her a bit I noe she's learning something

Sigh

there are more things learnt which cannot be measure in terms of number of vocabs / able to do how many math sums

social skills are not quantifiable, eg willing to share a toy, empathy, manners, etc
bupashu
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby buds » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:10 am

cherrygal wrote:It's not easy handling the kid 24 hours a day (coz you are mom AND teacher) and have to engage the kid meaningfully. That's why most kids who stay at home tend to watch lots of TV or spend hours on the iPad. I would rather they do something constructive at the preschool.

Not unless the home environment can cater for the child to work with meaningful stuff. :wink: It can still be constructive... in fact at times more constructive than being stuck in a centre with a teacher who doesn't teach, doesn't teach very well or worse can't teach. :shock:

The home can be surrounded by variety of resources/materials so children can have access to different types of play and work.

I shared a couple of stuff in these threads. :wink:
> http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 31#p909831

> http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 53#p547353

Your child doing Letterland? I have a lil something here as well.
> http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 97#p101197

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:38 am

Sometimes, it's not that the kid doesn't know the letters and numbers when she comes home but she could just be tired with being tested at home again and gives you gibberish. My kid does that. :)

So, when my 3yo returns from school, we never try to drill on the basics. After-school hours would be spent on relaxation activities - TV, play, horsing around, singing and dancing. The night would end with storybooks. But I know her progress by just speaking to her. We would discuss about Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and she can count them. She could also count in Spanish, thanks to Dora the Explorer. And while strolling down the road, she could identify alphabets in road signs. I know the teachers have been doing their jobs.

My job is to speak well in order for her to master good grammar and also to grasp teachable moments to inculcate values.

I hope this helps.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:42 am

buds wrote:
cherrygal wrote:It's not easy handling the kid 24 hours a day (coz you are mom AND teacher) and have to engage the kid meaningfully. That's why most kids who stay at home tend to watch lots of TV or spend hours on the iPad. I would rather they do something constructive at the preschool.

Not unless the home environment can cater for the child to work with meaningful stuff. :wink: It can still be constructive... in fact at times more constructive than being stuck in a centre with a teacher who doesn't teach, doesn't teach very well or worse can't teach. :shock:

The home can be surrounded by variety of resources/materials so children can have access to different types of play and work.

I shared a couple of stuff in these threads. :wink:
> http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 31#p909831

> http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 53#p547353

Your child doing Letterland? I have a lil something here as well.
> http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 97#p101197

Yes agreed, it's possible.

But Buds, you are a trained Montessori teacher rite? That's why you know these stuff... for some of us mere mortals, it's tough being mom, work and still have to teach. :udawoman:
Last edited by cherrygal on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:51 am

Babe, these days where resources are amply and easily available over the internet and even public libraries...... any parent can self-teach themselves anything, right? Plus the information and the resources (even the photocopiable worksheets) are FREE! :wink:

I'm most times more a mom than anything else. No time to be kitten oso like the one on the left. :rotflmao:

I used to work too. Full time, part-time, flexi hours, freelance, work from home... you name it. Can la.. as long as u put your mind to it. Stay positive. :love:
Last edited by buds on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child